Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, not sure anyone could have stopped the West Coast talls that quarter

Darcy would’ve absolutely reduced some of the damage.

Their accuracy and converting opportunities was the main thing, 11.3 from them last night. They scored 18.3 against us last year and kicked at least 6/7 from 50 out near the boundary.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont like to judge too early. But a few things stand out to me

His indecision and hesitation with the ball is concerning for a back.
He looks lost at sea when the ball comes down fast.

We cant have a backline consisting of Keane and Magden. Or we are going to get belted pillar to post each week

Everybody Panic

All Australian
Oct 30, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
He looked lost. I thought Magden has looked ok in some games in the backline and would go with him before Keane. Though given Howe is out we might be stuck. I like Moore forward. Don't think it's his best spot but gives us a much more threatening forward 50 with him and Cox.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you’re confusing me for someone else, because I’m pretty sure I’ve never argued with you about Phillips’ poor kicking, let alone been one of the ‘chief shouters’. I always had my heart in my mouth when he put the ball on his boot, outside a short period of 2018.

It’s cool though, just keep up the unwarranted condescension. I’m not basing my judgement on Madge on one game btw, his decision making and disposal has been really poor all year. It’s hard to see it suddenly improving at this point.

That’s not my recollection but CBF looking so I’ll withdraw my disparaging remark.

Still only 25-26 senior games experience under his belt so again just overly harsh. He’s generally fine with ball in hand.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moore plays on the #1 forward and gets 5-6 intercept marks and 15-20 pos. He doesn’t lose simple 1 on 1’s where Keene wasn’t even close. Fair difference
Comparing Moore to basically a first gamer against the eagles when our mids got killed. He needs some time, like any kid, especially KP players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s not my recollection but CBF looking so I’ll withdraw my disparaging remark.

Still only 25-26 senior games experience under his belt so again just overly harsh. He’s generally fine with ball in hand.
Went at 57% again last night and was infuriating to watch him consistently take the wrong option. I was actually relatively positive on him last year, but he’s been nothing short of terrible for the last few weeks.

On topic with Keane, I hope we persist with him for a solid block of games. Coming in to defend a forward line consisting of Kennedy, Darling and Allen without the support of Moore or Howe is nothing short of a baptism of fire, and frankly I felt sorry for him. Essendons key forwards are significantly weaker, so I think it’s important we let him have an opportunity get his confidence up and back him in rather than dropping him immediately like we did last year when he got his shot.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Basically a first gamer against the best tall forward line in the league, at home, without Howe and Moore to intercept, and a very average midfield. Think we can cut the kid some slack ffs
This is where I've ended up on him. He's been thrown to the wolves. I think he can end up pretty solid. Want to see Kelly in the backline too with Howe down

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hit a pearler pass in the fourth I think, and generally looked pretty sound in the first too before he started getting isolated and fumbling everything airborne.

Definite attributes but it was a harsh game for him to be selected in, although I do understand our cupboard is entirely bare for alternatives (and with Howe going down thank god he was there).

Wouldn’t have minded seeing him tried as a defensive forward on McGovern and to have shifted Moore back once Howe went down but Darcy ended up paying his own way. Hope Mark gets more opportunities to develop but it will probably be at the expense of giving ourselves the absolute best chance of a win week to week. We need to know what these kids can do though.

Yeah, showed a lot more this outing than his previous game. Just unfortunate he’s given away a couple of easy goals, and got beaten in a number of other contests. Was always the risk of moving Moore forward that the opposition KPF’s would get a hold of him. I liked that Buck’s stuck fat and apart from at the end of the 2nd quarter kept Moore forward and persisted with Keane. He’ll learn a lot from that.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Went at 57% again last night and was infuriating to watch him consistently take the wrong option. I was actually relatively positive on him last year, but he’s been nothing short of terrible for the last few weeks.

Watched him closely last night. Was at 25% at 1/4 time with 3 of his 4 disposals unsuccessful attempts to clear frenzied contested circumstances. Did well to recover to 19 disposals @ 57% given he spent significant time behind the footy covering Mayne and Howe. . Touted elite users like Daicos (58%), Quaynor (69%), and Macrae (61%) also struggled. Gooey (50%), Checkers (36%), and McCreery (55%) also struggled. But let's focus on Madge shall we.

Watched him closely last night. Was at 25% at 1/4 time with 3 of his 4 disposals unsuccessful attempts to clear frenzied contested circumstances. Did well to recover to 19 disposals @ 57% given he spent significant time behind the footy covering Mayne and Howe. . Touted elite users like Daicos (58%), Quaynor (69%), and Macrae (61%) also struggled. Gooey (50%), Checkers (36%), and McCreery (55%) also struggled. But let's focus on Madge shall we.
I’m well within my rights to focus on him, as you were with Phillips. Time will tell, but for mine, he lacks the composure and decision making to play on the wing. I’m comfortable with that assessment regardless of the excuses made for him.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Moore plays on the #1 forward and gets 5-6 intercept marks and 15-20 pos. He doesn’t lose simple 1 on 1’s where Keene wasn’t even close. Fair difference
Roughead plays on the #1 forward

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has had 2 bags kicked on him in his first two games Zac Dawson style, he spills uncontested marks, very unimpressed and with Moore forward I would rather try Kelly if he is healthy

He has had 2 bags kicked on him in his first two games Zac Dawson style, he spills uncontested marks, very unimpressed and with Moore forward I would rather try Kelly if he is healthy
Kelly needs some time in the two’s to develop his defensive game again. He was soundly beaten by Buzza today. He needs to get his reading of the play and intercept marking game up and running again before playing seniors.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
He has been suspended, so (as things stand) won't be playing next week: Match Review: Collingwood defender Mark Keane banned for tripping (afl.com.au)
1618654799610.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back