Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well his suspended

Come on down will kelly

Wouldn’t Wilson or Tohill be next in line for a KPD slot if they’re not moving Moore back?
It would have been ideal to have kept Keane in the side and given him a decent chance to find his feet, so it's a pity he has to go straight out. Wilson was barely sighted in the VFL today and doesn't really look key position material to me. Tohill may even be in front of him, but I suspect they'd go with Kelly first (if Moore plays forward). Ideally none of those younger players would be in the team just yet (giving Kelly a few more VFL games in defence would be the best thing) but we may be forced to take a gamble on someone!

On topic with Keane, I hope we persist with him for a solid block of games. Coming in to defend a forward line consisting of Kennedy, Darling and Allen without the support of Moore or Howe is nothing short of a baptism of fire, and frankly I felt sorry for him. Essendons key forwards are significantly weaker, so I think it’s important we let him have an opportunity get his confidence up and back him in rather than dropping him immediately like we did last year when he got his shot.

I thought he played like a player finding his way, not losing hope on him just yet, the more games & body he hits, the better he will feel about belonging- rather him the Madgen!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like that a second game player has enough gumption to try that on against one of the premier key forwards of the AFL.

We need more players prepared to play on the edge of what's acceptable and a mad Irishman he might well end up being.

I like that a second game player has enough gumption to try that on against one of the premier key forwards of the AFL.

We need more players prepared to play on the edge of what's acceptable and a mad Irishman he might well end up being.
I'd prefer to see him stopping his opponent from marking and kicking goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic that he gets a game there is absolutely nothing in it compared to Kelly and his hit on JDG that goes unsighted
Totally agree. Should have been a fine, probably would have been for almost any other club.

‘Medium impact. Is the jazz ballet? Fine yes, but a week come on. It was stupid but seriously.

I’d be challenging the contact if the medical report is favourable. Kennedy didn’t leave the ground and played out the game.

Watched him closely last night. Was at 25% at 1/4 time with 3 of his 4 disposals unsuccessful attempts to clear frenzied contested circumstances. Did well to recover to 19 disposals @ 57% given he spent significant time behind the footy covering Mayne and Howe. . Touted elite users like Daicos (58%), Quaynor (69%), and Macrae (61%) also struggled. Gooey (50%), Checkers (36%), and McCreery (55%) also struggled. But let's focus on Madge shall we.

Off topic I know, but are we just going to ignore the destroyation of his opponent? Gaff had 38 @71% with 25 uncontested possessions. On the other wing Mayne v Redden was just as bad...

In terms of his overall development, dropping those chest marks are a non-issue for mine. He knows how to take a chest mark. It was just nerves, and he’ll overcome them.

What concerns me is his lack of size, and inability to impact aerial contests without a run and jump at the ball.

Off topic I know, but are we just going to ignore the destroyation of his opponent? Gaff had 38 @71% with 25 uncontested possessions. On the other wing Mayne v Redden was just as bad...

Our wings aren't expected to man up, they're expected to zone. The issue when other wingers have a good game is system, not personnel.

Pathetic that he gets a game there is absolutely nothing in it compared to Kelly and his hit on JDG that goes unsighted

I saw it.

Nothing in it, incidental contact.

Exactly how much time was Madge specifically opposed to Gaff? My read watching it on TV was that he spent more time in defence than on a wing. Moved back when Mayne went off, and then again to cover Howe.

I’d be challenging the contact if the medical report is favourable. Kennedy didn’t leave the ground and played out the game.

Gary Lyon was right. Looking at Madgen & Mayne on the wings against Redden & Gaff was 2 bad mismatches. We have a very good winger in Josh Daicos, but the coach wont play him there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back