Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Exactly how much time was Madge specifically opposed to Gaff? My read watching it on TV was that he spent more time in defence than on a wing. Moved back when Mayne went off, and then again to cover Howe.

Judging by his heat map over 80% of TOG. He had one possession in the defensive third for the night and from what I can remember zero defensive one on ones.

We can bounce back and forward on this type of discussion, but the sad reality for Collingwood is we are regressing with guys like Mayne and Madgen on our wings.

Judging by his heat map over 80% of TOG. He had one possession in the defensive third for the night and from what I can remember zero defensive one on ones.

We can bounce back and forward on this type of discussion, but the sad reality for Collingwood is we are regressing with guys like Mayne and Madgen on our wings.
Absofrickenlutely!

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I agree it’s incidental but the whole idea of strict liability is that doesn’t matter

Go back and re-watch it. JDG contributed as much if not more to the contact as Kelly.

Yep, pretty pointless discussion. Madge has had all of a game and a bit on a wing in his 26 game career. I'm prepared to give him time, you're not.

I'm certainly not taking a heat map as definitive evidence. Weagles opened up their F50 so hardly unexpected his possessions were between the arcs.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Seen nothing from him in 1.5 games to suggest he’s anywhere near an AFL player
Clearly beaten in the one on ones, but that will come as he learns to more confidently read the flight of the ball. His kicking appears sound and he’s willing to take the game on. I think he’s going to be a good player for us, the only way he can develop the skills is if he plays in the 1’s. He needs some time against the most crafty and experienced forwards, that benefit form slick ball movement. Have some faith

Exactly how much time was Madge specifically opposed to Gaff? My read watching it on TV was that he spent more time in defence than on a wing. Moved back when Mayne went off, and then again to cover Howe.
We don't play man on man anyway. We play a zone.

Yeah I agree it’s incidental but the whole idea of strict liability is that doesn’t matter
It matters if the players intent is to initiate contact. Incidental contact when both players have eyes for the ball is not reportable, and Kelly definitely only had eyes for the ball.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has been ordinary at AFL level... nerves may be an issue... because at VFL level he has been solid down back since 2019 VFL season. Looks like a different player.

Whether Keane, Kelly or Tohill becomes our future fullback I don’t care.

But ideally we replace Roughead with one of them, Moore with another of them (so he can play up front for an extended trial), and Wilson becomes a Howe replacement in time.

I think Keane, Kelly, Tohill and Wilson have all showed a bit here and there... but they are fairly inexperienced and will take time

Should try and get a number of games into all of them before years out

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has been ordinary at AFL level... nerves may be an issue... because at VFL level he has been solid down back since 2019 VFL season. Looks like a different player.

Whether Keane, Kelly or Tohill becomes our future fullback I don’t care.

But ideally we replace Roughead with one of them, Moore with another of them (so he can play up front for an extended trial), and Wilson becomes a Howe replacement in time.

I think Keane, Kelly, Tohill and Wilson have all showed a bit here and there... but they are fairly inexperienced and will take time

Should try and get a number of games into all of them before years out
Wilson won't play a game from what I've seen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Our wings aren't expected to man up, they're expected to zone. The issue when other wingers have a good game is system, not personnel.
The other issue is Mayne and Madgen aren’t threats ball in hand so it allows the opposition wings to be less accountable.

ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
He’s another Magden. Slow slow slow and fumbles. He’ll be gone when the new coach comes in.
I know there is not much to be positive about atm about the Pies but will it change with you and others of your ilk when the new coach comes in.
Seriously you and the others are like broken recordings, we all know the Pies are in dire straits but if we have infighting all the time it will take longer to remerge from the predicament we are in.

I do not think 1 of us truly believes Buckley will this survive this and he should not but he will not be the only 1 but with good guidance we should be alright in 3 to 5years time we just have to hang on and that is easier when we united.

ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Keane shows signs to me that he can be a really strong key defender. It will be great to see him get an extended run at AFL level to prove his worth.
I agree with this and he will give a dip of that I have no doubt, I like his tenacity right from the start, a bit of mongrel never goes out of fashion.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

This really shits me when we have players like Sidebottom, Daicos and Crisp. It's an area of the ground which should be a strength. It's a coach and selection issue. I'm glad Poulter has been selected, at least he has some offensive intent. Lets hope he plays the position.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I thought for every time Keane got beaten against the Eagles he'd turn around and do something good. Take an intercept mark, get a late spoil in or show composure ball in hand under pressure. That suggests to me he has the qualities to make it. I think too much is expected of a 2nd game player. He'll be one to judge after 30 or 40. It'll take some pain and patience.

I know there is not much to be positive about atm about the Pies but will it change with you and others of your ilk when the new coach comes in.
Seriously you and the others are like broken recordings, we all know the Pies are in dire straits but if we have infighting all the time it will take longer to remerge from the predicament we are in.

I do not think 1 of us truly believes Buckley will this survive this and he should not but he will not be the only 1 but with good guidance we should be alright in 3 to 5years time we just have to hang on and that is easier when we united.
You clearly don’t know TG. The only thing that will change with him once Buckley goes is that he’ll start saying the club made a mistake getting rid of him.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
He’s another Magden. Slow slow slow and fumbles. He’ll be gone when the new coach comes in.
He looks quicker then Madgen but I’m getting the same vibe. Hopefully he proves us wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back