Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly don’t know TG. The only thing that will change with him once Buckley goes is that he’ll start saying the club made a mistake getting rid of him.
I have been here over a decade and I lurked for quite a while before I decided to join and begin posting so I am quite au fait with TG,s posting,but there has to be some things the club has done well imv.

Glad he's been re-called, for me I'd be looking to leave he and Kelly at FB and CHB for the remainder of 2021. See if as a duo they have what it takes to be our defensive pairing for the future, at the end of 2021 we can make an assessment on whether or not they're good enough and make a call on what we do with Darcy.

I thought for every time Keane got beaten against the Eagles he'd turn around and do something good. Take an intercept mark, get a late spoil in or show composure ball in hand under pressure. That suggests to me he has the qualities to make it. I think too much is expected of a 2nd game player. He'll be one to judge after 30 or 40. It'll take some pain and patience.
I think he crapped himself, but I’m all for giving he and Kelly an extended run down back to see what they have. Mindsets can change quickly, especially if we’re not setting him up to fail constantly.

I get the impression that the club and coaching staff really rate him and see a lot of scope for development. Bux talks about him becoming a very fine player for the club.

Interestingly, I also see a lot of improvement in Tohill since he has gone back.

I think he crapped himself, but I’m all for giving he and Kelly an extended run down back to see what they have. Mindsets can change quickly, especially if we’re not setting him up to fail constantly.

No doubt there was a big bit of that. Keane still had some good passages of play that game. I reckon a huge part of being a defender is not dropping your head. He might have been packing it but he kept at the task anyway. You need fortitude to play in defence. I think about Zac Dawson's debut. Rocca murdered him. Dawson went on to have a pretty successful career.

I thought for every time Keane got beaten against the Eagles he'd turn around and do something good. Take an intercept mark, get a late spoil in or show composure ball in hand under pressure. That suggests to me he has the qualities to make it. I think too much is expected of a 2nd game player. He'll be one to judge after 30 or 40. It'll take some pain and patience.
He simply looks undersized to be a key defender. If he is the future I'm very nervous.

No doubt there was a big bit of that. Keane still had some good passages of play that game. I reckon a huge part of being a defender is not dropping your head. He might have been packing it but he kept at the task anyway. You need fortitude to play in defence. I think about Zac Dawson's debut. Rocca murdered him. Dawson went on to have a pretty successful career.
I think he deserves a fair go but I felt very nervous whenever the ball was in his hands. His decision making was poor and he dropped a simple chest mark. He seemed to be easily out bodied by Darling and he's not the biggest forward going around.

I think he deserves a fair go but I felt very nervous whenever the ball was in his hands. His decision making was poor and he dropped a simple chest mark. He seemed to be easily out bodied by Darling and he's not the biggest forward going around.
He may not be the tallest but Darling is very hard to shift.

He was very nervous, no doubt, and he dropped a couple of easy marks, you’re right... but I don’t think his decision making was that bad. I do think he’ll improve quickly with more game time. Just not as confident on his ceiling, but we’ll see.

This really shits me when we have players like Sidebottom, Daicos and Crisp. It's an area of the ground which should be a strength. It's a coach and selection issue. I'm glad Poulter has been selected, at least he has some offensive intent. Lets hope he plays the position.

I don't mind us not using our good players there, because it's the easiest role in our set up, and we need our good players playing the more difficult roles. But it's where our young mids should be developing, rather than trying to eke a mediocre career out of blokes who are really limited. If we were in contention, it'd be fair enough to pick the best possible team and play Madge or Mayne there, but we're not in contention - we've got a heap of kids we need to bring through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sick of seeing goddam Irishmen, Yanks, Poms and whatever else project player we try to “develop”.
Just play goddam players that grew up playing Auskick and understand the bloody game!

Started to get some swagger and aggression in the third quarter, but was ultimately well beaten. Not his fault we lost though with another day of low pressure entries into our defensive 50; that's on the mids not defenders and the zone structure of minding grass in the first half is on the coaches. Having either of our best two peel off interceptors in Howe and Moore would assist too.

Took a couple of nice marks today, that’s about all I can say. There’s probably 100 similar sized guys running around in local leagues who’d be no worse if inserted into an AFL program.

Looked ok in moments in the 1st and 2nd and then struggled as he got isolated deep one on one while Roughead played further up the field. Couldn’t work that out.

Any future he has is on the second last line of defence not the last.

Useless player, looks lost and seems more intent on pushing and shoving his man than understanding how to play football.
List clogger, would prefer Madgen to play in his spot to be honest

Took some nice intercept marks and plays with a snarl which I like. Gets horribly out of position and out bodied frequently though. Versus Hawkins/Cameron, Reiwoldt/Lynch... it won't be pretty.
Not saying much but this was his best game by far and we just have to play guys like him for blocks of games to see who we've got worth keeping on the list.

Has a lot of Jack Madgen in him 🤪
Not good enough by foot to be an effective rebounder, not strong enough one on one to play on key forwards and not quick enough to play on smalls. I’m getting a similar vibe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back