Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Took some nice intercept marks and plays with a snarl which I like. Gets horribly out of position and out bodied frequently though. Versus Hawkins/Cameron, Reiwoldt/Lynch... it won't be pretty.
Not saying much but this was his best game by far and we just have to play guys like him for blocks of games to see who we've got worth keeping on the list.

He was out positioned and out bodied, but I think a number of those where due to the work, or lack of it, by others around him. I think we should persist with him to see if he can build on that, but he is not a KPD at this stage and needs support. Roughy is the only KPD of note and he has his limitations. We haven’t done this kid any favours by moving Moore forward.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Did some nice work with ball in hand and in reading the play to intercept but these flattered a poor game. Was ultimately well beaten by his man and too loose after half time. There is something to work with there but, he really has to start taking some giant steps and very quickly to show he can make it.

Last edited:

esc0bar

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not good enough by foot to be an effective rebounder, not strong enough one on one to play on key forwards and not quick enough to play on smalls. I’m getting a similar vibe.

Yep he Is a battler. Only need one or two traits to work with. Doesn’t have to be a world beater but with some pace or an iron fist could play a role like Toovey and Goldsack did. Just lost, out of his depth and lacking in many key areas. Unfortunately that’s just being nice.

An improved outing today.

Needs to play alongside both Roughy and Moore.

If Cameron, Mihocek, Sidebottom and De Goey can’t kick a score well too ******* bad. They can’t all play forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't really seen much of him in the VFL, could he play wing as was certainly lost at times today although tried hard.
Doesn’t really have the agility or endurance for wing. Key forward is the other option.

Cata_Pendles

Senior List
Sep 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems to always have a few kicked on him - looks lost in transition/playing his position. Can take a great mark though! Unsure if they should persist with Kelly instead? (Maybe give Kelly more than one game in a row?)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

collingwoodmick

Debutant
Oct 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has a lot of Jack Madgen in him 🤪
For me, I’m seeing Lachie Keeffe, and that’s not any improvement on Madgen at all, just my player analogy.
Madgen did play the game of his life a couple of rounds back, but I don’t really rate either Madgen or Keeffe.
I’m more than happy with players being Presti/Nathan Brown types, who seemed to prioritise stopping their opponents ahead of accumulating personal possessions etc.
In fact, I probably prefer those types to the Ben Reid/Darcy Moore moulds who insist on always trying to out-mark their opponents, despite the Danny Frawley style fist being more appropriate in many circumstances. Sure, often they win the marking contest, but they also often cough up goals which a punch from behind would’ve prevented.
While I prefer players who play the percentages, I can’t yet categorise Keane into either of the two, yet. I’m happy to give the boy some more games to work it out, but I just keep having Lachie Keeffe premonitions, and that didn’t end well for us (in an on field sense)

Seems to always have a few kicked on him - looks lost in transition/playing his position. Can take a great mark though! Unsure if they should persist with Kelly instead? (Maybe give Kelly more than one game in a row?)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
True but he spent a lot of time on Ben King. For a third (?) gamer, he hasn’t exactly had the chance to ease himself in playing on bunnies. King, Darling... whoever the * from the Giants...

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
It frightens me to hear Buckley go into raptures over the kid Keane and tell us he is our future. He might be handy but to single him out in a presser as someone we expect to step up into that key role is depressing.

ksardog

Brownlow Medallist
May 9, 2008
south australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Persist with him, get Moore down back , not only to help the side but to help guide him. He has talent, can mark well and kick off both feet and has some genuine toe. He is getting lost with his positioning on his opponent but that will come with time.
I have seen glimpses that tell me to continue with him in the seniors. You are going to see a far better player next year and year to comes. Supporters need to understand not many players come in and are steady from the get go, especially when you are playing down back with the ball coming in to an open forward line.

patience is needed, especially with key position players

Back