Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Patience and game time is needed with KPP. He will have his fair share of shockers, but he will improve. He only had his first game last year.

Alex Rance wasn't a regular at Richmond until the fourth year, and I remember Richmond supporters bagging him throughout his first 3 years. He almost left the club actually. I cant say I saw much of him but from what I saw, I thought he had potential, and at the time would have happily taken him in at Collingwood. In his fourth year he becomes an essential part of the Tigers backline.

I'm not saying he will be as good as Rance, but he is not a failed experiment and i believe he will be an asset to the club.

I’m very happy for him to continue being selected in defence. I could really see the potential in him yesterday. He’s obviously not there yet, but he needs to be given time to dev at this level.

He’d also obviously look a lot better with some actual pressure on the opposition upfield.

JOELY

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still a fan and happy to persist. I like his general demeanor on field, seems like he's on edge when not many of our players are. Get the feeling he's pretty close to belting someone at times. As others have said he can mark and kick, and actually has a really attacking mindset. Deficiencies are obvious but we're not really in a rush anymore. Glad to have someone with some genuine campaigner about them in the team, just need to harness it.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still a fan and happy to persist. I like his general demeanor on field, seems like he's on edge when not many of our players are. Get the feeling he's pretty close to belting someone at times. As others have said he can mark and kick, and actually has a really attacking mindset. Deficiencies are obvious but we're not really in a rush anymore. Glad to have someone with some genuine campaigner about them in the team, just need to harness it.

I waver between this point of view and giving Wilson a go at his expense (a more natural footballer) , but I can see upside. He is going through a similar phase to what Jack Madgen did early days...........getting caught out the back a lot etc.....

I tend to also agree that he is probably better suited to a CHB type position than last line.

Last edited:
Looked ok in moments in the 1st and 2nd and then struggled as he got isolated deep one on one while Roughead played further up the field. Couldn’t work that out.

Any future he has is on the second last line of defence not the last.
Wouldn’t usually just post “this” but this is pretty much word for word what I was saying during the game too.

Looks to have a couple of potential weapons, but ultimately your full back needs to be a bull defender first and foremost and Keane just doesn’t seem to have that mindset.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I like his aggression but it needs to translate into a positive for the team. Pushing and shoving before the ball arrives looks weak and embarrassing when you get outmuscled every time the ball comes your way.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think either Howe or Moore in defense will accelerate his development combined with not having to take the best Forward.
He has all the attributes to be an excellent defender, including aggression but it it will take time - there are not many superstar defenders aged 21 yo.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I waver between this point of view and giving Wilson a go at his expense (a more natural footballer) , but I can see upside. He is going through a similar phase to what Jack Madgen did early days...........getting caught out the back a lot etc.....

I tend to also agree that he is probably better suited to a CHB type position than last line.
It's risky picking someone if that is the case though - this would get found out and their opponent would just pull them back to the last line.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
It frightens me to hear Buckley go into raptures over the kid Keane and tell us he is our future. He might be handy but to single him out in a presser as someone we expect to step up into that key role is depressing.
Thought he played really well. Has some natural ability in terms of size, and reading the flight...he took some nice intercept marks. Appears to kick really well, which is common for the Irish. I think there is a lot to like and persevere with.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought he was ok, one thing that shook me though was the amount of times the poor kid found himself out numbered. There were numerous occasions on the day where he found himself 2v1 in a marking contests or out numbered running back to goal. While he himself had some poor moments (happens with all young developing KPP's) he was let down by his senior backmen and midfielders more than he let them down.

Let's not forget he's only played 3 games and is coming of an interrupted pre season. Plenty have been worse and should be dropped ahead of him.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought he was ok, one thing that shook me though was the amount of times the poor kid found himself out numbered. There were numerous occasions on the day where he found himself 2v1 in a marking contests or out numbered running back to goal. While he himself had some poor moments (happens with all young developing KPP's) he was let down by his senior backmen and midfielders more than he let them down.

Let's not forget he's only played 3 games and is coming of an interrupted pre season. Plenty have been worse and should be dropped ahead of him.

Yep........I'm 50/50 on Keane but our system sure doesn't help. Every time we go forward it's into a clogged forward line and every time the oppo does there's an open paddock and most likely more oppo players. We're getting done on ball movement and two way running.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He doesn’t look up to it. He makes Nathan Brown look like James Clement.

Is this another Henry Schade looks like Jon Patton type of thing...

Scribe26

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'll make it. Moves really well for his size, reads the ball well in the air (the intercept marking a real feature) and his kicking is better than most playing the position.

It'll take him between 50-100 games to be able to have the body, confidence, experience to play on the more dangerous/bigger key forwards. Some of those games will be stinkers, some will be good... but I like what I see so far.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Henry kept Buddy goal less in his prime

LOL, Buddy kept Buddy goalless. Kicked 0.3 and a few OoF. Could just as easily have had 5-6 goals that game. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
He'll make it. Moves really well for his size, reads the ball well in the air (the intercept marking a real feature) and his kicking is better than most playing the position.

It'll take him between 50-100 games to be able to have the body, confidence, experience to play on the more dangerous/bigger key forwards. Some of those games will be stinkers, some will be good... but I like what I see so far.
Tend to agree aside from the 50-100 games part. He has the body already, the art of body on body defending without giving away a free kick is something that he needs work on. This is the part that takes time, he seems to have the rest covered.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Finally a rational post. All these idiots potting a 20 year old after 3 games

Back