Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Life Member, Jamie Elliott!

Jamie.png

Attachments

• Jamie.png
    Jamie.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 11

Anyone watching the AGM? I like that they're outlining their strategic plan for us. Don't think they've done that before.
did we have one under the previous regimes??

They’ve definitely had five year strategic plans before - not sure how much they’ve publicised what that plan is but.

watt price tully

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couldn’t attend the AGM, but did vote online prior to the meeting.

Any major news from those who attended?
Yes, I attended. A lot of talk about contracts

On a serious note, I’m really impressed with the amazing work “our club” is doing in the community field. Collingwood has become a housing / accommodation provider (Magpie Nest) for those who are less fortunate. The Collingwood Foundation raises funds, spent a lot of time getting the national requirement and state requirements to become a housing provider (apparently more than 60 documents needing working through) this was done in people’s voluntary time (a bloke Nick Foa was given a special award / recognition for this last night) simply jaw dropping 👏👏👏. Collingwood is aiming through the foundation to be one of the biggest housing providers around. Their initial focus will target victims of domestic violence.

Additionally a corporate lawyer Richard Moshinsky was also given a special award / recognition as he and others pro bono (as it were) spent countless unpaid hours modernising the constitution.

I’m so proud to be a Collingwood member now.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yes, I attended. A lot of talk about contracts

On a serious note, I’m really impressed with the amazing work “our club” is doing in the community field. Collingwood has become a housing / accommodation provider (Magpie Nest) for those who are less fortunate. The Collingwood Foundation raises funds, spent a lot of time getting the national requirement and state requirements to become a housing provider (apparently more than 60 documents needing working through) this was done in people’s voluntary time (a bloke Nick Foa was given a special award / recognition for this last night) simply jaw dropping 👏👏👏. Collingwood is aiming through the foundation to be one of the biggest housing providers around. Their initial focus will target victims of domestic violence.

Additionally a corporate lawyer Richard Moshinsky was also given a special award / recognition as he and others pro bono (as it were) spent countless unpaid hours modernising the constitution.

I’m so proud to be a Collingwood member now.

Great report. Really appreciate this 👍

watt price tully

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Regarding the AGM, other items of interest included issues concerning the finals ticketing fiasco and new memberships etc: there are a lot of older long time members who were given tiks in the nose bleeds for the GF & who just can’t manage to “climb” so far. Ned Kelly and The President reckon they’re ontop of it but pointed out a few things:

1. Collingwood does not control finals ticketing.
2. The 25 years arrangement with the MCC has come to an end and we no longer have the upper hand (my take)as we did, the new negotiations meant that we do have the best scenario that could be developed given that there were matters outside “our” control.
3. Netball was costing us $1mil a year and it was putting good money after bad (my spin) and both Ned and the Pres noted that we are the Collingwood FOOTBALL Club for both men and women and are committed to both.
4. They are still trying to work on a social club aspect like the old days where post match mingling can occur (my take obviously).

A lot of the attendees (unlike Big Footy I presume) are of a certain age and older. This was my first AGM. Everything was done using iPhones and scanning etc QR codes etc to gain entry and to vote. This was funny to watch (I’m IT incompetent too) but this was quite challenging for a few initially; they had a few staff assist people with navigating the entry etc 😂😂🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back