Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

As an initial supporter of Korda’s appointment that article is troubling. Everything in there will be factual and to read that the club at this stage is looking to extend Buckley for one year has me wondering whether the executive is as finished as the coaching group.

The counter to that is that the speed in which the move would happen would indicate a strong push for Clarkson. Either way I think we’ll have our answer on the clubs future by QB.
I agree, Caro will have the correct mail. If Clarkson really is a legitimate option then the club should act quickly. Otherwise, stick with Buckley.

I agree, Caro will have the correct mail. If Clarkson really is a legitimate option then the club should act quickly. Otherwise, stick with Buckley.
If they stick with Buckley, they can't go with this 1 year rubbish. Either replace him or give him 3 years.

Leigh Matthews did alright?

its a numbers game... all successful coaches start off as unsuccessful. I dont think there's any patience in collingwood supporters and they are ripe for the footy media's strategies of maximising clicks or sales. You only have to look at the shaw situation at north or the teague one at carlton. The media even is doing some low level undermining of david noble. If it was an untried guy, he would need a strong board and i just dont sense anything strong at board level other than a strong desire for power.

At the very least, the buckley situation - either retention or transition - has to be done by a board that has credibility and stability. If the current mob were to decide to try an untried coach, everyone might get the flick at the next agm.

Ah, don’t be surprised we end up with a bait and switch ...

... Members vote for Browne thinking they’ll get Clarkson (that’s what Eddie did, right?) and when Browne comes on board we end up with somebody else.

Caro would have got good mail from someone around the club this Jeff Browne board push ain’t going away
Are you saying Caro is a good and trusted source? Haha

Id be happy for change, don’t know much about Browne though. Korda seems to be keeping out of football department business which is good. That was Eddies one negative.

Eddie has his negatives but also has many positives. I think the issue with Ed was that he was President for far too long that he began treating the club as his own and so most likely thought he always knew best and got involved in areas of the footy department he shouldn’t have.

My concern with Korda is simply that he was on the board for the past 15 years. He may be a better President, but who knows? Brown seems to have the profile, connections and knowledge of the AFL which is probably a good thing.

He is 60 but that’s not an issue. If anything it may be a positive as he will be unlikely to serve to 20 years. And lawyers are generally quite strong about governance, which is something the board may be in need of.

Eddie has his negatives but also has many positives. I think the issue with Ed was that he was President for far too long that he began treating the club as his own and so most likely thought he always knew best and got involved in areas of the footy department he shouldn’t have.

My concern with Korda is simply that he was on the board for the past 15 years. He may be a better President, but who knows? Brown seems to have the profile, connections and knowledge of the AFL which is probably a good thing.

He is 60 but that’s not an issue. If anything it may be a positive as he will be unlikely to serve to 20 years. And lawyers are generally quite strong about governance, which is something the board may be in need of.
Article from April 2014 says Browne was 60 then. If correct, that now makes him 67. Certainly wouldn’t preclude him, but may mean he wouldn’t go beyond 5 years IF he became president. Not a bad thing, as we don’t need another 22 year reign.

Last edited:
As an initial supporter of Korda’s appointment that article is troubling. Everything in there will be factual and to read that the club at this stage is looking to extend Buckley for one year has me wondering whether the executive is as finished as the coaching group.

The counter to that is that the speed in which the move would happen would indicate a strong push for Clarkson. Either way I think we’ll have our answer on the clubs future by QB.

My issue is that Peter Murphy, whom I have always wanted to be President, will be given the arse if Browne becomes Pres simply because Murphy himself was a presidential aspirant? Not because there's any view of incompetence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue is that Peter Murphy, whom I have always wanted to be President, will be given the arse if Browne becomes Pres simply because Murphy himself was a presidential aspirant? Not because there's any view of incompetence.

Where I land on this whole debate is the board most likely to part ways with Buckley. It would be incompetent to extend him for one year as speculated so if the choices are the status quo or a genuine tilt at Clarkson, a president with the best of connections at commission level and the loss of Murphy then he’s unfortunate collateral damage, IMO.

Lol, pressure building over a simple gaffe. It was his first speech as president and he is not a media stooge like McGuire.

I just want someone who knuckles down does the job, keeps a low media profile and focusses on footy.

I do not want a McGuire suck hole like Brown, this tells you all you need to know:

View attachment 1120547

what a regrettable characterization - heaven forbid that a man with outstanding AFL credentials, and success in business, should have a mind of his own.
You are blinded by a perverse narrative that would see mediocrity triumph over excellence, to ensure any links to Eddie are avoided.

Last edited:
I dont think there's any patience in collingwood supporters and they are ripe for the footy media's strategies of maximising clicks or sales

I take umbrage with this comment, looking at the history of the club that is certainly the most unfounded statement I can think of.
  • The fan base by and large HAS been patient for over 6 decades with very very rare success, exacerbated with very very large amounts of tease.
  • The fan base have every right NOT to be patient anymore, this club has at just about every step in the 2nd half of its life, shot itself in the foot in perpetuity.
Your view is an insult of intelligence of the fan base, it's not like the fans don't know what's going on and are aware that the club well knew of its self inflicted demise before this year - hell well before that self inflicted debacle of a trade period.

I don’t see Browne as the “change” candidate people might be hoping for:

• Best friends with McGuire.

• This looks like a power play by McGuire to get back at Korda, Murphy and Licuria who pushed him out of the club.

• Craig Kelly (Buckley’s manager) endorses him.

• The media conglomerates favour him.

I’m not enthused by the current board either, but I worry about Browne’s real intentions.

If he’s serious about running, he needs to communicate with the members and start presenting his vision for the club. First question should be what he does about the senior coaching situation.

Browne is probably either trying to barge his way into Waitslitz‘s soon-to-be-vacant seat, or make it harder for the board to recruit somebody else to fill Waitslitz’s seat.

I don’t know much about Browne, but I don’t like what he’s doing here.

I really hope there’s an EGM and Browne gets rebuffed. The voting members generally seem to be a rational bunch, so that may happen.

Does anyone know how you become a voting member? The constitution refers to Ordinary Members that are elected. I presume Legends members are not voting members unless they are elected.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t see Browne as the “change” candidate people might be hoping for:

• Best friends with McGuire.

• This looks like a power play by McGuire to get back at Korda, Murphy and Licuria who pushed him out of the club.

• Craig Kelly (Buckley’s manager) endorses him.

• The media conglomerates favour him.

I’m not enthused by the current board either, but I worry about Browne’s real intentions.

If he’s serious about running, he needs to communicate with the members and start presenting his vision for the club. First question should be what he does about the senior coaching situation.

I have heard Browne will Sack Buckley

My issue with that article is the board members getting the ass seem to be the ones who most likely boned McGuire. The female quota stays on?

It all smells rather Eddieish to me. But I’m open to change too.

Eddie will be pulling the String behind the Scences

Does anyone know how you become a voting member? The constitution refers to Ordinary Members that are elected. I presume Legends members are not voting members unless they are elected.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Need to be a social club member, which includes Club 5 and Legends.

About 15,000 members fall under this category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back