Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

No she didn't. People choosing to target 1 word in isolation without considering the context in which it was used is not on her.

As to how it's playing out, it was never going to go any other way. Said as much before it all started. Not sure why anyone would expect any different.
Like I said, agree to disagree.

Swan is entitle to his opinion, like he was about the Victorian lockdown. His opinion on both matters carries little weight for mine.

I won't lie, I don't much care for Swan's opinion on anything. His views on Browne's bid don't have any sway with me either.

But I agree with him in this instance, and I think there's merit in putting forward a perspective which comes from someone closer to the action than anyone here.

I agree. I'm not getting where all this privilege misdirection is coming from. She apparently said she wasn’t interested in working under an agenda “of power and privilege”. I think that's more a reference to the coup than where Browne was born and bred. I think it says more about Browne that he can't (or deliberately chose not to) delineate the difference, than about her or that she misspoke.

I can't believe people here are taking it a step further and making it about white privilege.
Don't be disingenuous.
Why? It was the perfect word. People just can't grasp the context.
How is Korda any less privileged if it's all about power and connections? He hasn't been voted into the presidency by the members.

but it becomes irrelevant because if it goes to a vote than it's us the members that determine if his plan is valid or not. so why is everyone assuming that there is no detailed plan !?
Browne wanted Korda to simply step aside & he take over as President with his new Board members backing him.
All with no plan or agenda released.
Then by the time the next AGM...the deed is done, with zero Members involvement.
That is a coup.

Really? Browne should feel some sort of shame for being born male and white and because of this doesn't understand other groups in our society? Those go hand in hand?

Browne has no hope if this line of thinking prevails. He's forever a white sinner. He'll die white and whatever else happens, will always be white and will never be rid of his white privilege. Think I'll go for a walk in the rain now.

As I have said previously, it's ...ummm...quaint that you identify with Browne, presumably because you are both white men. Maybe you hang out with the in crowd in Melbourne. If that's the case, please invite me to a few parties. I tried to get sideswipe to invite me to a few waislitz parties but he said that I didnt fit the demographic...

What has his opinion on the lockdown got to do with Collingwood?
Are you trying to discredit him?
That's twice in a few minutes that you're misrepresented me. Swan's opinion on lock-down was self interested and ignorant, but he's entitled to express it. Free speech. Swanny's entitled to his opinion on Korda too, like his mate Ben Johnson. Browne has past-players supporting him too. Do their opinions sway members? Peter Moore, Craig Kelly, Ben Johnson and Swan have opinions and are expressing them.
Would it be churlish of me to suggest these players have been asked to put forward their opinions?

As I have said previously, it's ...ummm...quaint that you identify with Browne, presumably because you are both white men. Maybe you hang out with the in crowd in Melbourne. If that's the case, please invite me to a few parties. I tried to get sideswipe to invite me to a few waislitz parties but he said that I didnt fit the demographic...
Two put-downs in one short post. Well done sir.

Don't be disingenuous.
How is Korda any less privileged if it's all about power and connections? He hasn't been voted into the presidency by the members.

Ummmm, because he was elected to the board at an AGM, and he was voted in by the board as president as they're required to do, you know, got there through appropriate processes.

The "power and privilege" in the context in which it was used is about demanding the position through a coup.

Disappointed you can't see the difference.

That's twice in a few minutes that you're misrepresented me. Swan's opinion on lock-down was self interested and ignorant, but he's entitled to express it. Free speech. Swanny's entitled to his opinion on Korda too, like his mate Ben Johnson. Browne has past-players supporting him too. Do their opinions sway members? Peter Moore, Craig Kelly, Ben Johnson and Swan have opinions and are expressing them.
Would it be churlish of me to suggest these players have been asked to put forward their opinions?

Swan might claim a bit more authority to talk about the CFC than lockdown. Unfair to claim that his ignorance on one issue is evidence for his ignorance on another.

As for why the players are speaking at all, I think that Ben Johnson felt obliged to put forward his opinion because of his support for Licuria.

Swan wasn't asked to give his opinion, rarely has to be asked. He makes it clear that Ed's performance on Footy Classified --where he pointedly dissociated himself from the Browne push-- freed him to make comment on the situation in his podcast.

But I'm in no way suggesting that you're churlish. You're evidently in favour of Jeff Browne and it makes sense that this position will inform your perspective. Nothing wrong with that.

Did Browne submit to the application process or was he just expecting to be given a seat at the table? My reading of it was that he was just expecting to be given it. If so, isn't that exactly what all the hue and cry is about?
admittedly I don't know enough about Browne, so I can only judge from his previous roles as an executive. and at the executive level I would be shocked that someone would have a formal meeting at board level without having even a basic plan formalized to at least open the door for further discussion.

So take a step back.

The fact that in my opinion it was knocked on the head before it has even really begun shows that either...

A) the current board really lacks leadership and the ability to change. ( which probably highlights the do better report which indicates our inability to change ) or
B) That Browne really has no idea

If it is B) then it goes to the members vote. at which point Browne would have to put his plan forward to the members, you would logically think by this point why would he put his reputation on the line for a volunteer role if he didn't have at least a plan that is even half feasible to be heard. it just doesn't make any sense. he would be stoned out of the vote.

Last edited:
admittedly I don't know enough about Browne, so I can only judge from his previous roles as an executive. and at the executive level I would be shocked that someone would have a formal meeting at board level without having even a basic plan formalized to at least open the door for further discussion.

So take a step back.

The fact that in my opinion it was knocked on the head before it has even really begun shows that either...

A) the current board really lacks leadership and the ability to change. ( which probably highlights the do better report which indicates our inability to change ) or
B) That Browne really has no idea

If it is B) then it goes to the members vote. at which point Browne would have to put his plan forward to the members, you would logically think by this point why would he put his reputation on the line for a volunteer role if he didn't have a least a plan that is even half feasible to be heard. it just doesn't make any sense. he would be stoned out of the vote.

I certainly don't question Browne's capacity or that he has the requisite skills to be the president of a football club. His resume supports that. I also don't doubt that he has a plan given he has said he'll present it to members when the time is right. But according to the board's release, he wasn't willing to disclose it to them in their meeting. The boards claim seems consistent with the media reporting of Browne's interviews/statements. I have no idea why he's stonewalling on releasing that information. I have no idea why he's keeping his alternate ticket close to his chest, or even if he had/has a full 7 members locked in. Time will tell.

but it becomes irrelevant because if it goes to a vote than it's us the members that determine if his plan is valid or not. so why is everyone assuming that there is no detailed plan !?

Yep, it has become irrelevant because the board declined his kind overtures. But that doesn't mean it wasn't his intent.

I certainly don't question Browne's capacity or that he has the requisite skills to be the president of a football club. His resume supports that. I also don't doubt that he has a plan given he has said he'll present it to members when the time is right. But according to the board's release, he wasn't willing to disclose it to them in their meeting. The boards claim seems consistent with the media reporting of Browne's interviews/statements. I have no idea why he's stonewalling on releasing that information. I have no idea why he's keeping his alternate ticket close to his chest, or even if he had/has a full 7 members locked in. Time will tell.
well if that is the case. then yes the board have made the right decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "power and privilege" in the context in which it was used is about demanding the position through a coup.
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen nor heard Sizer's comments and that puts it into context.
Roverjg thanks for posting the article.
I think he spoke well.
As far as the privileged response, (having read posters’ reaction to it) I thought it was fair/reasonable and accurate.
If his name was Packer or Ballieu or similar it would be different, that’s privileged.
Based on the above, he was off base or like me didn't understand the context of Sizer's comments.
Still nothing to do with race IMO.
If Korda or Murphy said it, it would be play on.

Actually she was. The members ratified her appointment onto the board at the 2018 AGM. Happy to be shown otherwise.

every board member has been ratified at AGM's
issue is no one steps up to challenge and no one votes against any of the appointments at the AGM's
well, not for the last 23 years anyway

The reality is that no one really cared too much about the board in the past, and most people have locked-in opinions on buckley.

If either korda or browne keep buckley, it might mean that they will get pushed out or voted out. If they push Buckley out, we are going to have Malthouse Mark 2, where people will be bickering on here for the next 5 years or the next premiership.

I dont see a way through it..

every board member has been ratified at AGM's
issue is no one steps up to challenge and no one votes against any of the appointments at the AGM's
well, not for the last 23 years anyway

Interesting that it hasn't been an issue for much of that 23 years but has become THE issue in the last 6 months.

Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing. I think boards need a level of consistency. I agree with others that extended tenure is an issue but certainly not a deal breaker.

I was listening to the ABC a couple of weeks ago and Lingy, Lids, Cleary, and a couple of others were talking about boards and member elected candidates. From memory they suggested only Freo has that but that they weren't fans as in their view, members generally aren't able to make dispassionate decisions in the best interests of the club, and they're disruptive to the workings of the board. I think it was Lids who suggested that if the Freo members (and I paraphrase) had have got their way last off-season the club would have traded Fyfe and sacked Longmuir.

Last edited:
I really need two things.

1) Browne, actually tell me who your ticket is. You are taking steps the end point of which is going to be a full board spill. If you are going to cause that much disruption, then you really need to show who you are as a whole

2) Browne, tell me what you and your group are for, and how thats different from what the current mob are for, and how that will be better.

And frankly, I'm a buyer. I want to be convinced, heck I probably would be ok with checking the boxes on this one, because I think the current group have presided over the worst bunch of cluster*s in my time as a supporter including letting the President run amok.

But you havent given me anything much yet and I'm beginning to wonder if you are just an opportunist. And given your ties to the former President, I'm entitled to be at least a bit worried you might make things worse not better.

Frankly there is only one certainty - unless some common sense prevails and Korda and Browne can come to an amicable settlement, the blood bath that otherwise ensues will sell papers while completely rupturing the fabric of the club.

It

why wouldn’t he refer to McGuire where appropriate ?
Where did I say it wasn’t appropriate or there was an issue with this???

People are forgetting that 80% of what McGuire did was fantastic for the club, it’s just the 20% where he put his foot in his mouth and allowed his ego get to big.

His relationship with our long standing sponsors like Emirates and his relationships with government has been very beneficial to our club, so in my eyes it would be good management to tap into these relationships Eddie has built over the many years with his help.

I can’t see Korda getting any help in these areas after he stabbed him in the back
McGuire said on footy classified during the week that he’d spoken with Korda to assist. I’m sure his passion for Collingwood outweighs any personal angst that may or may not exist.

The issue we have is our board has been responsible for disasterous mistakes.
1. Bringing in Coombes and Bherendht both major racism activists were always going to brand the club the way they did.
2. The salary cap is a major governence issue

They have probably done a lot of things well and there is no doubt all are successful individuals but there is no way you can trust them further.

The club needs fresh leadership from outside.

Korda has had a chance to make his mark but for him to say they have acted in the best interests when he has been a big part of two horrible decisions. Im sorry he needs to go. It was always going to be difficult for him.

Stephen Browne is a good communicator and has an impressive CV

The only other person I see capable enough to lead the club on the current board is Holgate but she would really need to want it and become passionate for the place.

The staff in the place would be reinvigorated with a fresh person.

Personally I would increase the board to 9. Eddie leaves a big void and the club has got a lot bigger since it was reduced to 7 e,g other sports teams.

Interesting that it hasn't been an issue for much of that 23 years but has become THE issue in the last 6 months.

Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing. I think boards need a level of consistency. I agree with others that extended tenure is an issue but certainly not a deal breaker.

I was listening to the ABC a couple of weeks ago and Lingy, Lids, Cleary, and a couple of others were talking about boards and member elected candidates. From memory they suggested only Freo has that but that they weren't fans as in their view, members generally aren't able to make dispassionate decisions in the best interests of the club, and they're disruptive to the workings of the board. I think it was Lids who suggested that if the Freo members (and I paraphrase) had have got their way last off-season the club would have traded Fyfe and sacked Longmuir.

Fremantle is basically owned by the WA football commission. There was no membership elected directors until a few years ago. The board makes sure that the membership-elected candidates have the necessary skills to be on the board... and then the membership has a say.

West Coast does something similar. Closer to home, Essendon has two or three positions on the board that are determined by the rest of the board. There is no membership election of those positions. Other clubs are similar. The interstate clubs generally have far less membership involved in determining board positions. I'm not an expert in this area but I did 30 minutes research on it about a month ago. From what I saw, the Pies are probably one of the most democratic of the club that I looked at.

Stephen Browne is a good communicator and has an impressive CV

I like stephen browne too. He used to coach my son's side back in junior footy in cottlesloe.... and his son played for a few years at Freo. I think stephen might be a freo supporter and he probably still lives near city beach west of perth..... so it might be a long trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back