Toast Presidency and The Board

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

but no cynical attitude towards people like waislitz who skim money off those that work for it?

No, I don’t have a cynical attitude towards people who pay their taxes, who take risks and get rewarded for their risks, who create meaningful work for others. We’d be communist Bulgaria without those people.

Buckley wants to continue as coach in 2022, he has no plans to step down.

We don’t know that.

Sure, he says he wants to coach, but if he’d said otherwise he’d be booted out the door in 5 minutes. Whilst many folks would love that and it would make them feel all warm and gooey until the next loss, there are also many folks (like me, and I suspect you) who don’t think that would be in Collingwood’s best interests.

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Graham Wright needs to do a presentation to Korda and Anderson of the comparative talent on the suns and pies lists and help explain why we are definitely not contending and are in fact rebuilding
Hopefully we can get it through their thick skulls eventually
Hopefully they close the blinds this time.

People seem to forget that it only became a "mismanagement" because the club chose to change tack. A move from "retain the list" to "refresh the list". I'd imagine we could have retained all of Stevo, Treloar, and Phillips if we'd wanted to.

There was more to it. The economy in footy players had tanked due to the cut in the salary cap due to the pandemic.

If the salary cap had increased by 9% instead of contracting by 9%, clubs would have had the means to afford him, there would have been a bidding war over him, we would have gotten decent picks, and we most certainly wouldn’t be paying any of his wage.

Yeah, we got burnt at the end of 2020, but let’s see what happens to other clubs at the end of 2021 and 2022. If the AFL economy recovers quickly, and the salary cap is restored then we are screwed. If the AFL economy continues into austerity then we’ll be OK.

I’m bullish on the wider economy, but I reckon the AFL will keep the purse strings tightened for a while because of the general health of the clubs. We’re in good shape, but many are not.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Equity capital markets participants aren’t really into skimming.

Are you becoming a commie?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

no, i've always been a fan of free enterprise and people buying and selling goods that they make. I just have a problem with people with money skimming money off the hard work of others. Someone like yourself would call me a commie. i just dont want a guy who doesnt pay tax and gifts a minimal amount of money to a couple of charities, from being vice president of a club which has been a part of my life since i can remember. I dont like how he has used his money to get that position in the club and hasnt even bothered to show up at every committee meeting since he got placed on the board. I dont like the values that he represents. I think we can do a lot better.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
no, i've always been a fan of free enterprise and people buying and selling goods that they make. I just have a problem with people with money skimming money off the hard work of others. Someone like yourself would call me a commie. i just dont want a guy who doesnt pay tax and gifts a minimal amount of money to a couple of charities, from being vice president of a club which has been a part of my life since i can remember. I dont like how he has used his money to get that position in the club and hasnt even bothered to show up at every committee meeting since he got placed on the board. I dont like the values that he represents. I think we can do a lot better.
I think you need to elaborate on your skimming line. Investors like Thorney provide capital which drives business. If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with capitalism.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No, I don’t have a cynical attitude towards people who pay their taxes, who take risks and get rewarded for their risks, who create meaningful work for others. We’d be communist Bulgaria without those people.

What risks has the former son in law of richard pratt taken? Pays his taxes? You got to be kidding. And I sometimes do wonder how many are employed in his office in the skies of melbourne. What a choice you paint..... Arent there any good people in the world who can create a system where people are paid fairly for their work, and where a minority cannot accumulate extraordinary amounts of money?

I now see two people out of the closet to defend this billionaire. I find that extraordinary.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
People seem to forget that it only became a "mismanagement" because the club chose to change tack. A move from "retain the list" to "refresh the list". I'd imagine we could have retained all of Stevo, Treloar, and Phillips if we'd wanted to. It would have meant a continuation of the status quo, close but not close enough. Someone else likely would have had to fall out the other side but that's what happens at every club. So what you're saying is that he (along with the remainder of the board and the FD) oversaw the management of the "retain the list" paradigm and then the transition to the "refresh the list" under the added complication of reduced lists. Is that such a bad thing?

That’s false we didn’t have a choice in it. I can state with absolute certainty that had we retained the three cast offs (forgetting Beams and Langdon payouts) we would have exceeded the salary cap by at best $1m and at worst close to $2m. I know this as fact because the salary cap minimum is 95%.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I think you need to elaborate on your skimming line. Investors like Thorney provide capital which drives business. If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with capitalism.

Am i going to be charged? Will there be a fair trial? You know what drives business? The people who build the bridges and serve the coffees and sweep the streets. People who use their money to make more, are just the ones that receive the profits.

As I've said before, what waislitz does, I presume that he is legal. If he wasnt vice president of the club, I wouldnt be commenting on him.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Am i going to be charged? Will there be a fair trial? You know what drives business? The people who build the bridges and serve the coffees and sweep the streets. People who use their money to make more, are just the ones that receive the profits.

As I've said before, what waislitz does, I presume that he is legal. If he wasnt vice president of the club, I wouldnt be commenting on him.
Wtf even is your point anymore? Some wildly derailing posts for a thread about Korda

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wtf even is your point anymore? Some wildly derailing posts for a thread about Korda

I get asked questions and I answer them. Am I the first to write off-topic? Of course i'm talking about a fellow board member to Korda.... And you'll notice that it's not me that has changed the focus of the thread to my commitment to capitalism. I was merely saying that if Korda's credentials are going to be questioned, I dont want to see waislitz continue on the board when his prime reason to be there was that he was supporting eddie..... that is the reason he was placed on the board...

so lets clean him out, and we might have better options than mark korda.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That’s false we didn’t have a choice in it. I can state with absolute certainty that had we retained the three cast offs (forgetting Beams and Langdon payouts) we would have exceeded the salary cap by at best $1m and at worst close to $2m. I know this as fact because the salary cap minimum is 95%.

Happy for you to think we didn’t have a choice. As I’ve said elsewhere, could just as easily have made alternate choices on who should leave. Could have also continued restructuring existing contracts and even retained Beams on the rookie list as Adelaide are doing with Gibbs.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Happy for you to think we didn’t have a choice. As I’ve said elsewhere, could just as easily have made alternate choices on who should leave. Could have also continued restructuring existing contracts and even retained Beams on the rookie list as Adelaide are doing with Gibbs.

we shouldnt derail a thread about korda....quokki88 might get upset

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Yep and here’s 3 Daicos, Mihocek and JDG who were all unsigned when it went down. Those choices don’t change the reasoning!

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep and here’s 3 Daicos, Mihocek and JDG who were all unsigned when it went down. Those choices don’t change the reasoning!

There were others. We signed quite a few late in the year. You’re just playing the drama queen card now.

What risks has the former son in law of richard pratt taken? Pays his taxes? You got to be kidding. And I sometimes do wonder how many are employed in his office in the skies of melbourne. What a choice you paint..... Arent there any good people in the world who can create a system where people are paid fairly for their work, and where a minority cannot accumulate extraordinary amounts of money?

Happiness is life’s currency, and money does not equate to happiness.

If he’s made good financial choices, then why shouldn’t he be rewarded for that? Do you think a lottery winner would be more worthy?

If you have reason to believe he is evading taxes, then don’t you have a moral obligation to report it?

I now see two people out of the closet to defend this billionaire. I find that extraordinary.

You don’t think I’ve been consistent?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Happiness is life’s currency, and money does not equate to happiness.

If he’s made good financial choices, then why shouldn’t he be rewarded for that? Do you think a lottery winner would be more worthy?

You don’t think I’ve been consistent?

made good financial choices? lol. i'm not sure why you're running his PR. Lets get back on the issue rather than worrying about me.

Waislitz should be booted.

1. He was put on the board by eddie to back him up. He is no longer required.
2. He is a billionaire who doesnt pay taxes. Irrespective of how legal that is, it doesnt reflect a community minded person.
3. He portrays himself as a philanthropist and he puts the equivalent (to him, a billionaire) of beer money into a couple of local charities.
4. He has a inconsistent record of attending board meetings over the last 2 decades.
5. You hardly hear a whimper out of him. I dont think I have ever seen him attending games, even though he is vice president.

I could go on but i'm bored ..

btw I would prefer a lottery winner who is a genuine pie supporter and has an independent voice, to be on the board.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back