Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

made good financial choices? lol. i'm not sure why you're running his PR. Lets get back on the issue rather than worrying about me.

Waislitz should be booted.

1. He was put on the board by eddie to back him up. He is no longer required.
2. He is a billionaire who doesnt pay taxes. Irrespective of how legal that is, it doesnt reflect a community minded person.
3. He portrays himself as a philanthropist and he puts the equivalent (to him, a billionaire) of beer money into a couple of local charities.
4. He has a inconsistent record of attending board meetings over the last 2 decades.
5. You hardly hear a whimper out of him. I dont think I have ever seen him attending games, even though he is vice president.

I could go on but i'm bored ..

btw I would prefer a lottery winner who is a genuine pie supporter and has an independent voice, to be on the board.
He used to throw a big party once a year for the players and staff.

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
Browne apparently supports Buckley.
I was going to say the same thing.Browne would be Eddie mark 2.So if it came down to a choice between him and Korda,I would reluctantly choose Korda.My preference would be for someone else to take over the job,but that doesn’t seem likely in the short term at least.

yeh sideswipe told me about it. Sideswipe is pretty cosy with him. Did you make the guest list?
I tried to get in but was denied by a bouncer called Ed.

Could one of you or jackcass answer my original question? Enjoy what exactly? As in what part of the 'journey' where we are down the bottom, what is to be enjoyed exactly?
Enjoy going to the footy.
Enjoy catching up with mates.
Enjoy cheering on the Pies.
Enjoy watching the young kids coming through.
Enjoy watching champions like Pendles.
Enjoy barracking for the Pies.

The problem with Collingwood supporters is that they are happy with close enough, nope that doesn’t cut it.

If you know any Collingwood supporters who are “happy” with close enough, then you must follow a different Collingwood to the one I do.

Sad? Yeah, many are
Want to burn the whole edifice to the ground? Yep, many do.

Happy? Never

I want and demand in field success

How are you any different to any other AFL supporters?

... and if it’s not happening then sweep out the dead wood and bring in the new.

Kinda like Carlton keep doing? Or that “Focus on Footy” mob who challenged the Richmond board at the end of 2016?

lethalburns

All Australian
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If there is such a thing as a 'template' for success, and if you argue that Richmond have set the benchmark, you have to say that we have done everything possible to not replicate that formula.

Retention of a power hungry President well past his expiry date.
Preservation of a fractured board that clearly lacks the smarts and unity to take us forward properly.
Appointment a CEO that rarely communicates a vision for the club.
Allowing Buckley to surround himself with 'yes' men and his best friend.
Inability to retain good people for more than 24 months maximum.
Drafting without a plan i.e. drafting best available without an overarching strategy.
Bringing back Gubby Allen who single handedly ****ed us in the space of a short few months before he got suspended by the AFL.
Losing a good operator like Balme (TWICE!).
Losing the relationship with Lynch (that Balme was cultivating).
Wreckless signing of players.
Recruitment of a player with known mental health challenges at huge expense and bringing them into an environment that is notoriously unforgiving and ill equipped to deal with complex issues like mental health and race.
Poor treatment of well liked players, breaking of trust with those that remain, while sending the message to prospective talent that we can't manage ourselves properly.

Last edited:

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was going to say the same thing.Browne would be Eddie mark 2.So if it came down to a choice between him and Korda,I would reluctantly choose Korda.My preference would be for someone else to take over the job,but that doesn’t seem likely in the short term at least.

I don’t know why people keep propagating this talking point.

Other than being friends with Eddie, how have you come to that conclusion?

Particularly in light of the fact Korda was actually VP with Eddie and along with the rest of the board actually ratified the direction he took the club.

From everyone I have heard speak about Browne he sounds like he is unashamedly his own man, who holds very firm views, and would be beholden to no one.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
New president, new board member, new head of footy. Isn't that change?

You do realise the new board member came from a Steven Bradbury like position as the person the club wanted to replace Eddie as a director was told by their employer they could not be on the Collingwood board and maintain their current working position due to a conflict of interest.....

Only the best for Collingwood.....

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You do realise the new board member came from a Steven Bradbury like position as the person the club wanted to replace Eddie as a director was told by their employer they could not be on the Collingwood board and maintain their current working position due to a conflict of interest.....

If the person they wanted wasn't available then that's a good thing. Meant they had to go through some sort of process to identify the best available.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

Who? Kelly?

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the person they wanted wasn't available then that's a good thing. Meant they had to go through some sort of process to identify the best available.

The idea was to find a female director to replace Eddie, one was found, and then had to pull out. So the board now has 7 weeks to find a suitable female director to replace Waislitz.

The club from the top down is well intentioned but entirely shambolic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sounds like a good story. Care to elaborate? Conflicts of interest are everywhere in business and even more so in the AFL. They can usually be managed. An employer prohibiting an employee from joining the board of a NFP sporting entity sounds fanciful.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like a good story. Care to elaborate? Conflicts of interest are everywhere in business and even more so in the AFL. They can usually be managed. An employer prohibiting an employee from joining the board of a NFP sporting entity sounds fanciful.

Was told that the said ideal candidate's employer did not want said individual's name and company name to have any association with Collingwood whatsoever. I mean, in all honesty, do you blame them.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well that’s the job description, isn’t it? All you’ve told me is that he gets the job done, and perhaps by extension isn’t afraid of getting his hands dirty. No issues with that.

Gets his hands dirty ? as a board of director under the McGuire led administration, Korda as a glorified Chartered accountant with his field of so called speciality, where did he get the job done with our woeful salary cap mismanagement !

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was told that the said ideal candidate's employer did not want said individual's name and company name to have any association with Collingwood whatsoever. I mean, in all honesty, do you blame them.
That would be reputational risk rather than a conflict of interest. And it sounds completely unbelievable. If you are going to peddle b/s, at least make it sound credible.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
You would have thought that Derek Hine as the previous list manager and the current one Ned, would have briefed the board about the strategy of overpaying players with the view to retaining them until we got the premiership, and the retention of players past their use-by date which resulted in little recruitment. The board wouldn't have made individual decisions, but you would think that Geoff Walsh would have told the board about this strategy, and the likelihood that there would be a day of reckoning some time in the future. You would have thought that Korda would have known this last year or even earlier. With hindsight, it was a mistake and easy to make the call now, but I would hope that Korda at least knew of the likelihood. The problem for me is that I think that eddie was the only one on the board who knew anything about the situation in the footy dept.

What Conflict of Interest looks like: When Jodie Sizer (works for PWC consulting) joined the board, PWC were the club’s external auditors. The club sim0ly found new auditors (IIRC EY) Easy. Conflict resolved.

Was told that the said ideal candidate's employer did not want said individual's name and company name to have any association with Collingwood whatsoever.

Seems very unlikely. Board candidates are typically unencumbered by such things as being an employee of some organisation who has that control over them. Look at our current board, they’re all self made people who either run their own organisations, or in Sizer’s case senior partner.

The only situation where I could imagine that happening is if the person was a public servant of some form and they had policy about anybody serving on boards (eg: ASIC, RBA, etc)

I mean, in all honesty, do you blame them.

No employer would knock back any employee serving on the board of any top level sporting club in Australia on the basis of potential reputational damage.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Seems very unlikely. Board candidates are typically unencumbered by such things as being an employee of some organisation who has that control over them. Look at our current board, they’re all self made people who either run their own organisations, or in Sizer’s case senior partner.

The only situation where I could imagine that happening is if the person was a public servant of some form and they had policy about anybody serving on boards (eg: ASIC, RBA, etc)

No employer would knock back any employee serving on the board of any top level sporting club in Australia on the basis of potential reputational damage.

all self made? paul? christine? even alex was made by richard.....murphy is employed by alex

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The Korda appointment still puzzles me. Until a week or two before the announcement, most people thought Murphy would be appointed. Korda appears to have been a late bolter. Did Christine Holgate have the casting vote? She was leading the selection panel.

Korda has been on the board a long time. So long in fact, that it is impossible for him not to be connected to recruiting, salary cap and race issues. Murphy is very well regarded both internally and externally and does not carry the baggage of long tenure on "Eddie's" board.

It sounds as if the board wasn't all that keen on Browne. He certainly wasn't sounded out from what I can gather. Perhaps too close to Eddie?
The fact that Craig Kelly and Peter Moore strongly supported Browne though, is the interesting bit. Why are they so strong? Perhaps they see Browne as a completely new broom. He's certainly known as a strong, well connected, AFL-respected and well credentialed businessman. He's also a footy man.

Browne wants to be involved and there is talk he wants to be president. Eddie though doesn't want a spill and presumably wants the club to stick with its decision.

Only 100 signatures are needed to force an EGM. I can't see it not happening to be honest. The way our season is going, perhaps a complete clean-out wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back