Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

I'll be attending the EGM or AGM, which ever comes first.

The nature of an EGM means that all positions are spilled and thus it may make it look like everyone's against all members of the current Board, but I doubt that would ever be true other than in more extreme circumstances (eg. corruption, cheating, drug cheating like Essendon etc.).
I‘m thinking if it’s EGM then Browne will line his 7 up against the incumbent 7.
Vote for 1 ticket or the other.
We lose good people.
No idea who’s on the Brown ticket as yet.

We all know where the current board learnt this stonewalling and sense of entitlement from….
The Board can do what they like because they are in charge. Browne is jumping up and down trying to remain relevant. Early on I was prepared to vote for him however, there is no longer a hope in hell. It is on Browne to outline his vision and Board to the members.

Reading through the last few pages of this thread is a pretty sobering experience.
The man who led our club to 6 grand finals and a Premiership is now spoken about as a delusion, out of touch figure in the AFL landscape.
The man who oversaw the sacking of Buckley and the beheading of McGuire is supported, even though he led our finance committee through the debacle of the salary cap, apparently now taking no responsibility.
Previously wise posters jumping on the loony Eddie bandwagon.
It's really disappointing reading.
Oh Please.... Ed was solely responsible for his own demise
You argue that Korda should be held responsible because he led our finance committee through the debacle of the salary cap... but as President Ed is accountable and was ultimately responsible.... but he wasn't going to stand down for it... don't remember you demanding he stand down for it

Are you attending the AGM?
I want to, however outside Australia at the moment.

Last year’s AGM was online. Would have thought there’d be a chance of that again this year

What do you mean? You’re allowed to challenge, and he isn’t coming from a history of failure
Totally agree. If Korda was the head of the Finance Committee while this salary cap fiasco unfolded, then he should fall on his sword ASAP & let some new blood take over. For me right now - given the fact that previously-considered coaching candidates are hardly rushing for the coaching position at Collingwood; if not turning their backs on it - indicates that Jeff Brown must become the new president immediately.

Totally agree. If Korda was the head of the Finance Committee while this salary cap fiasco unfolded, then he should fall on his sword ASAP & let some new blood take over. For me right now - given the fact that previously-considered coaching candidates are hardly rushing for the coaching position at Collingwood; if not turning their backs on it - indicates that Jeff Brown must become the new president immediately.
Even if the strategy to go for the flag was discussed, understood & signed off by the Football Department?
There was nothing illegal, no rules broken, a risk was taken.
Didn’t pay off.
Since then…2 most senior board members gone, head of football gone, list manager gone, coach gone.

I‘m thinking if it’s EGM then Browne will line his 7 up against the incumbent 7.
Vote for 1 ticket or the other.
We lose good people.
No idea who’s on the Brown ticket as yet.
It might happen that way, it might not.

Might be nice to actually see some options and have a say for the first time in a quarter of a century!

It might happen that way, it might not.

Might be nice to actually see some options and have a say for the first time in a quarter of a century!
I guess we were all guilty of
(a) not attending AGM’s
(b) attending AGM’s & accepting everything presented
(c) not demanding at least a run off choice for each board position open.
We were all caught ball watching.
One thing for sure the next meeting (EGM or AGM) will be robust.

(a) not attending AGM’s

AGM’s are only open to the voting members (around 13,000 of the 82,000 total members) of which around 300ish turn up on a midweek evening for a few hours in the darkest depths of the off-season.

The folks who turn up take it quite seriously.

AGM’s have a set process. (“Motion to table the minutes from the last meeting”, etc, etc)

Members queue up to ask a single question each. Most questions are (IMO) reasonable, some are a bit silly.

There aren’t really much in the way of ‘gotcha’ questions because I guess they don’t really feel there’s a need, plus nobody really knows enough about what was going on to be able to formulate that kind of question.

Last AGM they answered questions about the trade period. Their explanation seemed quite reasonable, and yet people still want to bang on about it.

If it became a political process, we would end up with politicians (be very careful what you wish for!)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if the strategy to go for the flag was discussed, understood & signed off by the Football Department?
There was nothing illegal, no rules broken, a risk was taken.
Didn’t pay off.
Since then…2 most senior board members gone, head of football gone, list manager gone, coach gone.

I think it was generally known by the fans. I knew that we were loading treloar's contract in later years to accommodate the grundy contract and the other contracts. I'm sure members close to the club had a fair idea that we were trying to hang on to the team to see if we could nab a premiership.

There has been long time whinges and whines in these forums about Pie administrations being too gutless to take risks to get lockett and all those other stories....and then when eddie takes a risk, we throw our hands up in the air...shock horror! I heard Eddie tell a story about brisbane in the early 2000s and he indicated that they overstepped the salary cap, evidently legally, and in typical eddie speak, you knew that he was seething about it and would do anything to win a cup...

I cant believe pie fans who now want to shelve all the blame on eddie ...and even more stupidly on korda, who we know had very little impact on footy decisions.

You know through this whole saga, I dont think i've read one bad word about geoff walsh... not one snipe. I cant believe that..

anyway, dont readjust your set, everyone can go back to shelving the blame on korda...

Reading through the last few pages of this thread is a pretty sobering experience.
The man who led our club to 6 grand finals and a Premiership is now spoken about as a delusion, out of touch figure in the AFL landscape.
The man who oversaw the sacking of Buckley and the beheading of McGuire is supported, even though he led our finance committee through the debacle of the salary cap, apparently now taking no responsibility.

no bias at all in your post is there mate? Just because you believe in Ed & Bucks & think they should still be in their posts, doesn’t make you right & others wrong. Bucks got more than a fair go at the top job. Ed left us In a mess as far as on field goes. He has over 20 years in the job & it’s time for change.
I don’t care who is President now to be honest but I’m looking forward not behind now.

As a card carrying member of this bandwagon I assure you I’ve been on board for a long time.

I'm curious as to how many people would've signed the EGM document amongst all their angst, but since then have calmed down a bit and would rather sit in their hands and see how it all pans out?
Fair point you raise.
If I had signed it I’d be a touch nervous about Trevor’s brother being a bit too like Ed for my liking.
Ask the Club for their contact details, I heard they’re more than accomodating 😉

I think it was generally known by the fans. I knew that we were loading treloar's contract in later years to accommodate the grundy contract and the other contracts. I'm sure members close to the club had a fair idea that we were trying to hang on to the team to see if we could nab a premiership.

There has been long time whinges and whines in these forums about Pie administrations being too gutless to take risks to get lockett and all those other stories....and then when eddie takes a risk, we throw our hands up in the air...shock horror! I heard Eddie tell a story about brisbane in the early 2000s and he indicated that they overstepped the salary cap, evidently legally, and in typical eddie speak, you knew that he was seething about it and would do anything to win a cup...

I cant believe pie fans who now want to shelve all the blame on eddie ...and even more stupidly on korda, who we know had very little impact on footy decisions.

You know through this whole saga, I dont think i've read one bad word about geoff walsh... not one snipe. I cant believe that..

anyway, dont readjust your set, everyone can go back to shelving the blame on korda...
I'm sorry, but you are comparing us retaining Treloar on our list (an accumulating outside mid with very hit and miss footskills) to us missing out on one of the best full forwards in the history of the game?

What we shoukd have done is what GWS did to us, which is claim salary cap pressure to get bidders and a good deal at the trade table. Then you get a KPF and another dime a dozen accumulator to replace Treloar.

Instead, we made Treloar one of the highest paid players in the comp, sold him off for * all and then pay 33% of his contact.

It's a ******* disaster and just one of a dozen blemishes that mean that an EGM is a must.

I'm sorry, but you are comparing us retaining Treloar on our list (an accumulating outside mid with very hit and miss footskills) to us missing out on one of the best full forwards in the history of the game?

What we shoukd have done is what GWS did to us, which is claim salary cap pressure to get bidders and a good deal at the trade table. Then you get a KPF and another dime a dozen accumulator to replace Treloar.

Instead, we made Treloar one of the highest paid players in the comp, sold him off for fu** all and then pay 33% of his contact.

It's a ******* disaster and just one of a dozen blemishes that mean that an EGM is a must.
Theres no doubt an EGM is absolutely required - the club essentially attempting to avert its duty within the corporations act by with-holding detail from the challengers is a pretty fair indication they're not confident of what is about to transpire.

Time control of this organisation actually returned to us, its paying Members. For too long it's been treated as a play-thing for the likes of McGuire.

(a) not attending AGM’s
We were all caught ball watching.
One thing for sure the next meeting (EGM or AGM) will be robust.
I attended the AGM at Victoria Park where Eddie and the board moved a motion to remove the members right to vote every time a new appointment was to be made. Members could vote when elections were up, rather than 'at the time of vacancy / appointment'. It was overwhelmingly accepted - not much debate, if any.

Most amendments over the years have been accepted by members - good or bad by a board and President who effectively ran a football club based on their own agenda. It may have been misguided over the years or even corrupted by the power that comes with those positions, but asking directors or the board to give up their power base is like asking a politician to take a pay cut.

If either Browne or Korda want us to vote for them, it will be interesting what is on offer for the members. I suspect with either candidate you are voting for the faceless men behind the board or directors, as much as the candidate.

Instead, we made Treloar one of the highest paid players in the comp, sold him off for fu** all and then pay 33% of his contact.

Life is so easy in retrospect. I wasn't comparing anything but the risk-taking. If you didnt understand, we move on. And evidently you are saying an EGM will fix your "disaster"...

I attended the AGM at Victoria Park where Eddie and the board moved a motion to remove the members right to vote every time a new appointment was to be made. Members could vote when elections were up, rather than 'at the time of vacancy / appointment'. It was overwhelmingly accepted - not much debate, if any.

Most amendments over the years have been accepted by members - good or bad by a board and President who effectively ran a football club based on their own agenda. It may have been misguided over the years or even corrupted by the power that comes with those positions, but asking directors or the board to give up their power base is like asking a politician to take a pay cut.

If either Browne or Korda want us to vote for them, it will be interesting what is on offer for the members. I suspect with either candidate you are voting for the faceless men behind the board or directors, as much as the candidate.

Democracy or too much democracy can be a double edged sword - if the members have too much say, it's like trying to herd a dozen cats... That's the argument Eddie has used and there was some truth to it in the years before Eddie. The problems with snuffing out democracy are evident now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back