Opinion Mark Logiudice and the Board of Directors - No Board changes as at 24th Feb 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

"I see it the same way I do things like pollution/recycling - you don't have to be perfect to make a difference, and it's very hard to be perfect, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and be better where you can."

If you disagree with that statement, we have a fundamental difference in philosophy and I don't think there's much point in discussing it further, Dirk.
Nah I think I will continue discussing.
Have this suspicion some clubs have divested themselves from pokies income because they weren’t financially viable and saw this divestment as an opportunity to improve their brand. Pokies haven’t been a goldmine for all clubs.
I wouldn’t be as cynical if they had pressured the afl to drop all forms of sponsorship from the gambling industry. The social harm from the gambling industry isn’t restricted to just pokies patrons.

For the record I hate the pokie Industry with a passion, but choose not to be morally selective.

Do the maths and work it out.
Pokies is a mathematical computer programmed dumb system to take money from really bored people.
Legitimate gambling of sports events where the actual chances of a result for either team winning is not a mathematical certainty. A sports event is not computer programmed. Big difference.
Education is the key to get the difference.
Yeah at the end of the day they both end up burning people financially regardless.

If there is such a thing as Toxic Masculinity at footy clubs, Bruce Mathieson would be the epitome of it.

Pretty encouraged reading reports by 'that Richmond bloke' (Cain Liddle) that the club is in the exit stage planning of pokies.

Am optimistic that 2020 is the year we finally say Adios Muchacho to both those vile soul destroying machines and Mathieson and form of influence and hold he has held over our footy club.

I would also say it's even more important we ditch our pokies revenue given our much laudable stance on domestic violence/violence against women (Carlton Respects/Orange Socks games in both the men's and women"s teams)

If there is such a thing as Toxic Masculinity at footy clubs, Bruce Mathieson would be the epitome of it.

Pretty encouraged reading reports by 'that Richmond bloke' (Cain Liddle) that the club is in the exit stage planning of pokies.

Am optimistic that 2020 is the year we finally say Adios Muchacho to both those vile soul destroying machines and Mathieson and form of influence and hold he has held over our footy club.

I would also say it's even more important we ditch our pokies revenue given our much laudable stance on domestic violence/violence against women (Carlton Respects/Orange Socks games in both the men's and women"s teams)

Not sure you can draw a comparison of gambling to domestic violence

If we get debt free i hope we sell the damn things straight away and invest in something like the Pies have done, creating a future fund. Im a big fan of the Tigers leisure centre setup too.

I would hazard a guess that there has been am element of gambling/pokies losses involved in several Domestic Violence incidents over the years in our state since Kennett legalized them in 1992.

I would hazard a guess that there has been am element of gambling/pokies losses involved in several Domestic Violence incidents over the years in our state since Kennett legalized them in 1992.
I imagine there is an element of alcohol that is also involved in domestic violence. We going to stop selling alcohol at all Carlton events????

Mathieson helped save your club you ungrateful genderless entity.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ouch 👀👀👀

I am far from convinced he did either the, and even if and the Pokies revenue did, he was a supporter of Jack Elliott and his boys club regime that were responsible for the club's crippling debt due to the Legends Stand White Elephant, not to mention the Salary Cap rorts and the extremely brusing penalties that followred.

I am much more inclined to believe that Richard Pratt and his family/wealth saved our club..

Regardless
ShinyFortunateIlladopsis-small.gif

Anyhow you're still one of my fave posters on this board Opine, but I am passionately against Pokie Machines and maintain Matheison has done far more harm than good to our football club (money isn't everything) but each to their own I suppose

"hazard" and "guess" are probably not a loose enough qualifiers in your comment.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are drawing a long bow.

Unfortunately the stats don't lie.

The sooner we are rid of pokies, the better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately the stats don't lie.

The sooner we are rid of pokies, the better

Elmer, it's the reporting that has come to the fore. There are countless factors for domestic violence, lack of nurture, education, unemployment, drugs, alchohol, gambling of all forms etc

If you remove pokies completely, which is only one form of gambling, it will have a minimal effect on reducing domestic violence

The main factors are education and stricter penalties for purpetrators

Ignorance of maths coming through but you not alone on that front by a long shot so can see how you get confused of not seeing the difference.
You’re better than that. No need to make it personal.

We all agree that the social consequences resulting from the gambling industry are substantial. It doesn’t matter whether one form of gambling uses a mathematical algorithm or not Because

it’s about
We aren’t
We wouldn’t be debating this topic if it weren’t for the social consequences to families andfabric of society associated with gambling. Whether one business model uses a mathematical algorithm or not is irrelevant. You need to realise that.
Just di
You are drawing a long bow.
And firing without the arrow I may add

We all agree that the social consequences resulting from the gambling industry are substantial. It doesn’t matter whether one form of gambling uses a mathematical algorithm or not Because

it’s about
We aren’t
We wouldn’t be debating this topic if it weren’t for the social consequences to families andfabric of society associated with gambling. Whether one business model uses a mathematical algorithm or not is irrelevant. You need to realise that.

Just di

And firing without the arrow I may add

Not saying pokies aren't a blight on the community, i would eliminate them completely but there are more important factors that need addressing when it comes to domestic violence

We all agree that the social consequences resulting from the gambling industry are substantial. It doesn’t matter whether one form of gambling uses a mathematical algorithm or not

That is just wrong in your thinking. A computer program designed for people to lose is not the same at all as a true sporting event when in one , no one really knows what is going to happen. You need to realise this. Sorry if you think it is being personal saying thinking such things are same is ignorance. The reality is if people think a true sporting event is same as a computer program, they are living in reality not based on how it is going to work out. Thinking about it mathematically is what needs education on. Pokies are programmed for around 90% of people to lose. That is not a gamble. That is virtually throwing money away for those silly enough to keep doing.That is not a gamble. that's computer programmed. That is what pokies are.

Last edited:
stop guessing about serious s**t........

Without getting myself tangled up in the morality of the gambling industry, I find the clubs who have chosen not to engage commercially in the industry to be a bit hypocritical given the afl itself receives substantial monies from the gambling industry.

These monies end up in club coffers Of which they benefit from. Until they decide to take a cut in their afl dividends to be free of the gambling dollar, the Kangas and Bulldogs haven’t earnt their moral authority.

Good point. Its a slow burn and they are only slightly better than the rest.

Not saying pokies aren't a blight on the community, i would eliminate them completely but there are more important factors that need addressing when it comes to domestic violence

Alcohol, mental health issues, economic stress/loss of employment at the top of my head spring to mind.

Basically you cannot go a stone's throw (where o live anyway) without stopping by a bottle shop/venue to buy alcohol.

At the footy, most of the ugly brawls and fights would be alcohol/booze related.

There really should be more dry areas at the footy IMHO, esp for blockbuster fixtures (vs The Pies, Tigers and Essingtin)

I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and have sometimes had to leave early from games from witnessing fights breakout at the footy close to where I am situated. (Haven't been to a Collingwood game in 2 years because their feral supporters have unnerved me/made me feel unsafe as a go alone to games Carlton fan (i meey friends there at the ground)

Anyhow I do think it should be up to us (men) to do more and speak up about mental health and other emotional related issues, especially if we have families, before it escalates and spiral out of control. It's perfectly okay to cry/be vulnerable in front of others, letting the pain out is a lot healthier for everyone than keep it bottled up.

Anyhow, as I said before, really proud of our Orange Socks/Carlton Respects social awareness games.

This comment along with Thys objection to Elmer's comment earlier has me confused somewhat. A quick internet search brings up countless articles linking gambling to family violence.

The Victorian Royal commission in to family violence stated, and i know this is cherry picking a quote:

'People with gambling problems are more than twice as likely as people without gambling problems to be victims and perpetrators of family violence.'

Am i missing something here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back