Opinion Mark Logiudice and the Board of Directors - No Board changes as at 24th Feb 2020

We could have looked to bring in a few B grade seniors in as Free Agents. We haven't been aggressive enough in that space.

You need to pay them to pry them loose. How any free agents choose to leave when all is said and done?

The list of FAs hasn't been compelling either.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult has been one of our better players.

The one valid reason for sacking Bolts is the apparent lack of intensity from half the team. They killed the coach. If they continue in the same way, we sacked the wrong people. If they come out and rediscover their intensity, then we sacked the right person but he should have be joined by some players.
Casboult has been good for him but he started playing defence 3 weeks ago he isn't going to be organising the backline in the absence of Docherty, Simpson, Thomas, Jones now is he?

Playing him is also part of the problem, marchbank should have been able to step up and take a key forward otherwise what is his role in the team? Can't play on key talls or smalls, good if he gets to play on someone not having an impact so he can intercept but doesn't provide any rebound and is a liability when the ball hits the ground.

They won't rebound and start winning games, they don't have enough senior players on the park to do so, the best they can do is reinstall some positive vibes because those losses to the Hawks and pies have broken Cripps and the rest of the playing groups belief they can win games.

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mark LoGiudice was on the Board when they sacked Ratten, Malthouse and now Bolton. I think his time is up and he should move on.

Casboult has been good for him but he started playing defence 3 weeks ago he isn't going to be organising the backline in the absence of Docherty, Simpson, Thomas, Jones now is he?

Playing him is also part of the problem, marchbank should have been able to step up and take a key forward otherwise what is his role in the team? Can't play on key talls or smalls, good if he gets to play on someone not having an impact so he can intercept but doesn't provide any rebound and is a liability when the ball hits the ground.

They won't rebound and start winning games, they don't have enough senior players on the park to do so, the best they can do is reinstall some positive vibes because those losses to the Hawks and pies have broken Cripps and the rest of the playing groups belief they can win games.

Marchbank has been very disappointing to me. Another 3rd tall. I feel we can't play him and Plowman in the same side. Marchy is a good interceptor but he is not good in the physicality stakes. Plow has it over him there.

Neither can play anywhere else either.

a_shot_on_ehlo

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2011
Place between two rivers
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bulls, West Indies
If a viable alternative ticket presented itself I would be all for it. This board is 'old Carlton' and holds us back, they've been incompetent in many football related decisions since 2012 (not all, but many)

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Mark LoGiudice was on the Board when they sacked Ratten, Malthouse and now Bolton. I think his time is up and he should move on.

Do you play any other songs, or is the cassette stuck in there?

MLG was A board member when Rattan was sacked, but we have no idea what his views or vote actually were. And Ratts has admitted he wasn't ready for the role, which would make the decision the correct one, yes? Hiring him may have been the wrong call.

Malthouse was a poor pickup in hindsight. Bloke's a canny operator and knew what he needed to say and do to get the gig. Got found out and was rightly moved on.

Bolton was selected by a diverse panel, and has done a wonderful job in keeping our young group together. we're in our fourth year, and none of the kids that came into Bolton's Carlton have jumped ship, despite the on-field results. That Bolton has been moved on now looks to me like he has been unable to provide satisfactory reasoning for the last month's poor effort on field, and likely despite promises to the board that the players were invested and would bounce back, they didn't. The conclusion to draw is that either he didn't know how to inspire the required effort, or the players weren't inclined to respond to his overtures. The players had to know that pressure on Bolton was mounting, and they didn't appear to make any significant effort to combat that. The bloke took a lot of heat for the playing group, and shouldered most of the responsibility. He always backed them to the hilt in the media. By sheltering them, he made himself a target, and when the firing squad lined up the players weren't willing to do what needed to be done to protect him.

I don't know enough about the inner sanctum conversations to make a judgement on whether the recent choices to play senior players out of position, or to persist with underperforming youngsters, was his personal prerogative or if he had the "blessing" or even instruction from the board to do so. I think Bolton expected us to be performing better this year, I think that belief would have instructed other decisions made by the club, and when the reality didn't match the expectation and Bolton was not only unable to get the expected results, but oversaw a decline in performance and effort, the decision would have been obvious.

My belief is that Bolton was the right man for the job. His skills have been instrumental in retaining our young playing group and shifting the club culture into the modern age. I'm not sure, but I can accept that perhaps he's not the right man to take us to the next level, and that person is out there waiting to be found.

If a viable alternative ticket presented itself I would be all for it. This board is 'old Carlton' and holds us back, they've been incompetent in many football related decisions since 2012 (not all, but many)

It's not old Carlton. I'd be fine with turfing Jeanne Pratt and Craig Mathieson because they do represent old Carlton by association.

Judd, Campbell and Kinnersly are recent additions. Luke Sayers has been fine. Then you just have MLG who has made some very sound appointments IMO.

I think some people believe we still have a board full of stodgy old cigar smokers. There have been heaps of changes.

a_shot_on_ehlo

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2011
Place between two rivers
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bulls, West Indies
It's not old Carlton. I'd be fine with turfing Jeanne Pratt and Craig Mathieson because they do represent old Carlton by association.

Judd, Campbell and Kinnersly are recent additions. Luke Sayers has been fine. Then you just have MLG who has made some very sound appointments IMO.

I think some people believe we still have a board full of stodgy old cigar smokers. There have been heaps of changes.

Not sure how the rest of the board turf just Pratt and Mathieson when they hold all the money, they installed MLG and I think they still extert the most influence.

You might lose a couple of good ones with an entirely new ticket but i'd wear that to change the culture of the board. Fitzpatrick is getting on a bit but I can't see who else could take them down, definitely don't want Elliot.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Fitzpatrick doesn't have 20-30 volunteer hours a week to give up, and I suspect he feels the off field stuff is tracking pretty well.
I think he's on the board of some infrastructure company last time I heard (or from what I remember being told). So you're probably right in saying he doesn't have the time.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Bolton has been sacked. That is a pressure release. Now need to review, adjust and stick together. There is a lot of good this board has achieved so far. It was never going to be perfect all the way along and I still strongly believe we are on the right track

sweetchoif

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why do some people want to burn it all down?

Here's a fun theory ... It's easy to call for sackings and then act like a genius if it happens. There is no way of being proven wrong.

Those who called for Ratten to be sacked can't be proven wrong about him. Our list going backwards under Malthouse isn't proof that Ratten should have stayed because we don't know what would have happened.

We do know that Tigers supporters wanted Hardwick gone. Not so much now though right? They were proven wrong because he was given longer.

Fans fuel media and media fuels fans and the pressure on clubs is enormous.

If the next coach takes this list to success, you can easily say Bolton wouldn't have because it didn't happen.

What if you sack the board and SOS and this list wins a flag? What will be the rationale then?

The club have done what it set out to do. The results aren't coming. The circuit breaker is always sacking the coach. Let's give the rest of the club some room to breathe now.

The reality is that the coach who has taken us to the best ladder position and win-loss record in any given season over the past 15 years is Brett Ratten. Statistics dont lie. That is absolute proof of two things (1) Ratten was not as inept as the certain board members / powerbrokers made him out to be; OR if you dont believe that (2) The Board has installed 2 coaches in the last 7 years who have statistically been the wrong choice

Either way, the Board's appointments look precarious at best. They have done some good things off the field which may be there salvation. However, if there was a mentality that Brett Ratten is not even considered / interviewed for the job now (Assuming Brett actually wants to apply), then that would be clear indication in my eyes that the Board is more interested and preoccupied in its own image and self preservation than it is in getting the club on the right track. And I suspect the reality is, Mark LoGuidice is still heavily influenced by Bruce Mathieson, and Bruce was intrinsically behind having Ratten sacked. And Bruce would never entertain the alternative of having his historical judgement calls proven wrong. This is the problem with the club and until it is rectified, we will continue to go backwards

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The reality is that the coach who has taken us to the best ladder position and win-loss record in any given season over the past 15 years is Brett Ratten. Statistics dont lie. That is absolute proof of two things (1) Ratten was not as inept as the certain board members / powerbrokers made him out to be; OR if you dont believe that (2) The Board has installed 2 coaches in the last 7 years who have statistically been the wrong choice

Either way, the Board's appointments look precarious at best. They have done some good things off the field which may be there salvation. However, if there was a mentality that Brett Ratten is not even considered / interviewed for the job now (Assuming Brett actually wants to apply), then that would be clear indication in my eyes that the Board is more interested and preoccupied in its own image and self preservation than it is in getting the club on the right track. And I suspect the reality is, Mark LoGuidice is still heavily influenced by Bruce Mathieson, and Bruce was intrinsically behind having Ratten sacked. And Bruce would never entertain the alternative of having his historical judgement calls proven wrong. This is the problem with the club and until it is rectified, we will continue to go backwards
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
So much this. The board backed in this "reset" and backed in Bolton so have to accept some responsibility... but please!

They've been incredibly patient for almost 4 seasons, we've won 3 games in what 33 games? That is not tenable, unlike Dimma, Buckley etc who at least had shown they were able to win games we haven't been able to. We are flying off field and that is largely to do with the board, the president and the other execs they have put in place at the club.

Who remembers the failed Richmond board ticket the season before Richmond won the flag?

Not too hard to forget BB. :eek:

a796b9e99c4bbbe88b071e2e7013875d

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
The Godfather and his Capos
https://m.carltonfc.com.au/club/about-us/board

I implore one of our many powerbrokers to clean the rot that has festered in our boardroom for far too long and force a board spill.

Members such as Fat Tony himself, Luke Sayers, Jeannie Pratt (her money will be missed), Craig Mathieson and co have presided over what can only be described as poor decisions one after another.

The sacking of Ratten.
The hiring of Malthouse.
The appointment of Bolton (without the nesescary support, where was Neal Craig's replacement?).

If Mike Fitzpatrick is reading this, I beg you to act. The general positive member sentiment towards the current board is at an all time low and the chances of someone being able to dislodge the current heirachy would be high.

Apologies for possibly causing more negative discourse but it has to be said. After today's performance from Mark, it should be the last nail in his boards coffin.

Also just let the record show. I agree with today's decision. It had to be done.

Wow! :thumbsdown:

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

That bolded bit is the one I want to address.

Hiring Ratten now isn't in any way an admission that we shouldn't have sacked him in the first place.

He's spent 8 years in various assistant coach roles developing himself now. He wasn't ready then, he knows that, he admits that - but he may be ready now.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
This thread is exactly why we never get anywhere. Always a few trying to tear it back down the moment it looks like something might happen.
Anti-carlton Carlton I am calling it.
There are forces that will stop at nothing to see us fail and gone from the league completely. Mark my words.

The 'new' Carlton is actually on show for anyone with eyes - the #1 focus has been increasing membership numbers. Outsider appointments have come NOT from old boys Club - the new CEO was chosen despite so many saying the bloke now at Saints was a shoe in. There are layers between the Board and Coach now.

I think the president has done a very good job of restructuring Carlton so it looks much more like a company/business than a pet project run part time by some rich nuff nuffs. Getting Membership to 70 and then 80k - will see them all out..

Bolton was sacked because he had lost the players - and he lost the players because he provided them with little confidence in whatever his game plan was supposed to be and they started playing like perennial losers - not a bunch of exciting future stars and flag contenders - even die hards grew tired of the green shoots it will all be ok in a few years time nonsense. Members want to enjoy following their Club's progress not feel like they are in a perpetual purgatory - the purgatory wasn't 'close' losses it was the inexplicable smashings - close losses are actually quite marketable - they sell the future just around the corner - thrashings are a disaster 4 years into the rebuild - unacceptable.

I think the pressure wasn't win loss it was no win + horrible loss and the effect it was likely to have on membership numbers- next year. All new management brought in to run the business would have given the president very clear messages re Bolton - fix it or we are F****d.

This IS the new Carlton run like a business and needing growth to become financially independent of the types of Board members people don't like. A Club that can maintain best competitive practice and afford the continual cycle of improvement required to be a relevant competitor.

In order to do this the on field performances have to be seen to be on the improve and wins have to start happening - not the insipid performances on display week in week out.

The next bloke to feel the blowtorch will be SOS and his crew if they don't manage to fill some gaping holes in the list. The time of investment via draft is over as the #1 strategy regarding list build. The Club has to be very careful in selecting the next coach - he has to be able to keep the better players AND help attract the more developed player(s) we will need to get momentum going positive again.

Not an easy job for any coach - but far far easier than it would have been years ago when Carlton reached for Malthouse and got sucked into his BS - when Roos famously stated Carlton's list is a shambles - no one can say that now - all they can say is that it has decent foundations but needs more work. the Club HAS to have a coach in mind /lined up before trade time - and this new coach will have to be working closely with SOS to make sure what they need is provided for.

I have no doubt that any experienced coach wont be letting SOS and his team ignore obvious basic requirements - they wont be interested in being a pretend leader and sacrificial lamb - they certainly wont allow themselves or their career to be hostage to misaligned interests.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
This thread is exactly why we never get anywhere. Always a few trying to tear it back down the moment it looks like something might happen.
There are forces that will stop at nothing to see us fail and gone from the league completely. Mark my words.

It's just a thread. People have different points of view and come here to share them. Our major problem has been not winning games.

I agree Ratten shouldn't have been sacked. This board is quite a different dynamic to the one at the time though. The board is not a living entity itself. Many changes have been made.

Mathieson's influence on MLG is speculative. We can't make a case against him based on that. Kernahan was President when Mathieson influenced the Ratten sacking.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Cheese it! It's the feds!

Not sure how the rest of the board turf just Pratt and Mathieson when they hold all the money, they installed MLG and I think they still extert the most influence.

You might lose a couple of good ones with an entirely new ticket but i'd wear that to change the culture of the board. Fitzpatrick is getting on a bit but I can't see who else could take them down, definitely don't want Elliot.

The idea is to not need the Pratt and Mathieson money anymore. Working towards it.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
It's just a thread. People have different points of view and come here to share them. Our major problem has been not winning games.
A thread that is a symbol of a cancer in my opinion.
We should be talking about the players not the freaking board.
Talking about the rest of the season.
Instead a few malcontents try to agitate still. And when the board is gone it will be the next board in the sights. A never ending cycle of doom being propogated.

Back