Opinion Mark Logiudice and the Board of Directors - No Board changes as at 24th Feb 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A thread that is a symbol of a cancer in my opinion.
We should be talking about the players not the freaking board.
Talking about the rest of the season.
Instead a few malcontents try to agitate still. And when the board is gone it will be the next board in the sights. A never ending cycle of doom being propogated.

If you don't agree with the premise of the thread then just say it. Having opinions doesn't make them automatically correct.

Instead a few malcontents try to agitate still. And when the board is gone it will be the next board in the sights. A never ending cycle of doom being propogated.

I tend to agree.

It's a movement of self fulfilling prophecy.

Really, cancer? Stay classy mate.

Not talking about you Pablito...it doesnt matter who starts it and I understand the thinking behind it don't worry. But to me it is a disease yes.
Its like a dog gnawing its flea bitten leg till it falls off.
The future beckons but the past is always holding it back from any hope of achievement as long as this kind of grudge type stuff continues.

Not talking about you Pablito...it doesnt matter who starts it and I understand the thinking behind it don't worry. But to me it is a disease yes.
Its like a dog gnawing its flea bitten leg till it falls off.
The future beckons but the past is always holding it back from any hope of achievement as long as this kind of grudge type stuff continues.

If you read around other boards you'll find disagreement and factions everywhere, including the most successful clubs. What people say on chat forums doesn't drive what happens at club level-thats up to the football department. If you discourage opinion you end up with a handful dominating chat about a club with several hundred thousand supporters.

You need to pay them to pry them loose. How any free agents choose to leave when all is said and done?

Brisbane has managed to get in Hodge for nothing, Robinson (also for nothing), Neale (cost a bit but worth it) and Cameron.

I'm just saying we have SC space. We need to be more agressive in getting in established players. We tried (and failed) with Rocky and Shiel (and others). I know our performaces suck, and that impacts our ability to attract established players, but the Lions werent exactly great when they attracted the above players to them either.

We're too young at the moment. Im down with the policy of trades for extra low picks, but we do need to reinforce the list with mature players (preferably free agents) at the same time.

The mature bodies we did get in were all shocking (Shaw, Mullett etc) and delisted after a year.

Brisbane has managed to get in Hodge for nothing, Robinson (also for nothing), Neale (cost a bit but worth it) and Cameron.

I'm just saying we have SC space. We need to be more agressive in getting in established players. We tried (and failed) with Rocky and Shiel (and others). I know our performaces suck, and that impacts our ability to attract established players, but the Lions werent exactly great when they attracted the above players to them either.

We're too young at the moment. Im down with the policy of trades for extra low picks, but we do need to reinforce the list with mature players (preferably free agents) at the same time.

The mature bodies we did get in were all shocking (Shaw, Mullett etc) and delisted after a year.

Hodge went there for Fagan. Robinson was our cast off for cultural reasons. We were hardly going to search for other culture castoffs.

Neale and Cameron both cost plenty.

I think we probably could have interrupted our drafting in year 3 by trading for an ex experienced player or two after losing Gibbs.

We had added our talls and mids in Cunners, Samo and Fish. Instead of going for Dow, LOB and DeKoning, we could have traded more. We probably thought Kennedy was ready so that's a mistake.

SOS was given a GWS start up job here, with less draft picks and no free shots at established stars from other clubs.

Hodge went there for Fagan. Robinson was our cast off for cultural reasons. We were hardly going to search for other culture castoffs.

I think we probably could have interrupted our drafting in year 3 by trading for an ex experienced player or two after losing Gibbs.

We had added our talls and mids in Cunners, Samo and Fish. Instead of going for Dow, LOB and DeKoning, we could have traded more. We probably thought Kennedy was ready so that's a mistake.

SOS was given a GWS start up job here, with less draft picks and no free shots at established stars from other clubs.

The fact remains though mate, that we are too young. We're not paying anyone any money (we had enough cash for Shiel and Rocky) and are banking cap space, so we've had room to move in that area.

I just reckon we could have been more active in the 'lets look at mature bodies with a year or two left in them from other clubs as Free Agents' space over the past few years.

They dont have to be stars; just solid citizens for a few years. If we have to pay overs (in terms of $$$) for that year or two, so be it.

My only criticism is that Bolts appears to have been removed entirely from CFC. He's unique, in that, by his own admission, he operates with a strong desire to create bonds, and invests in the broader development of players; perhaps like no other. Club's need those types of coaches. He should have been retained in some capacity other than game day coaching.

Totally agree. Bolton should have a role something along the lines of mentor to the younger brigade.

The fact remains though mate, that we are too young. We're not paying anyone any money (we had enough cash for Shiel and Rocky) and are banking cap space, so we've had room to move in that area.

I just reckon we could have been more active in the 'lets look at mature bodies with a year or two left in them from other clubs as Free Agents' space over the past few years.

They dont have to be stars; just solid citizens for a few years. If we have to pay overs (in terms of $$$) for that year or two, so be it.

I agree. We are too ageist. A Brendon Goddard type without the divisiveness should have been considered.

Would B.Scott get us Cunington & Atley? Voss get us Boak? I'd be happy ;)

Would B.Scott get us Cunington & Atley? Voss get us Boak? I'd be happy ;)

That is one good thing about a new coach. Can they bring anyone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. We are too ageist. A Brendon Goddard type without the divisiveness should have been considered.

We did try and get some senior bodies in for cheap (Mullet, Shaw, OShea, Palmer, Fasolo, Lobb) but they were all largely list cloggers who only got games due to injuries.

They didnt cost anything, but they didnt really give us anything either.

We need a solid backbone of experienced players to let the kids play around them.

I think we've tried and failed to bring in a lot of experience over the past couple of years, particularly in the midfield. This has gone has gone a long way to our poor performance. We missed on Rocky, Prestia, Saad, Smith, Shiel and Steele off the top of my head. I don't think it was the clubs plan for the list to be quite so young. If we'd managed to land 1-2 of those in the engine room, I think the past two years would have been far less traumatic.

Some really interesting comments regarding MLG & Board

Personally, I would I prefer that MLG and perhaps some of the longer serving members of the board be moved on. This is not based on the acquisitions, as they were great appointments, apart from Malthouse, but for the timing and how they have handled the departures

Ratten - While he may not have been the best coach in the system at the time, I thought he was certainly innovative and perhaps with a better quality/depth of list, may have evolved internally to become the coach many believe he could be now.

Hughes/Rogers - This should have taken place long before their eventual due date and should have coincided with embracing/commencing a rebuild earlier. Then the Wright debacle

Trigg/Craig - This was a really poor judgement call. It was known that the two were close and Trigg was an important factor, when Craig agreed to join the club. While the club made the right call on Trigg, perhaps they should have considered the possible flow on effects. Trigg should have been moved sideways, short term, or replaced when they also knew they had a replacement for Craig. It left us with the loss of a great operator/sounding board, as well as crippling our fitness and high performance

Bolton - I have no doubt that if this side had got over the line in 2 -3 games this year, that Bolton would still be head coach right now. Easy for people to suggest the reason was the win/loss, but let's be brutally honest, his sacking was due to the internal and external noise, so it would have been easier for MLG & the board to sack Bolton, rather than hold firm, fearing a continuation of similar results would ensure their demise. While clubs like the Cats, Tigers, Pies showed great character and leadership to back their respective coaches, none of the clubs, Dogs, Lions, that moved on their coaches have continued to suffer, especially once their squads are ready to compete. Some though, Saints may never learn those lessons, let's hope we don't join them

Great leaders/clubs hold firm if they truly believe in their strategy, once those people second guess the strategy, due to noise, they will always continue to be reactive. That's why they need to go

Bottom line #1: SOS has to be in focus for where we are on "the field". It is not rocket science to do well with top 10 draft picks. It is much more difficult to get trades right. We have a fantastic group of younger talent. The GWS experiment, for want of a better term, has clearly failed. We lack a seasoned group of 24 to 28 year olds who can make an impact on field and more importantly, mentor the younger players.

Bottom line #2: the Board has supported Bolts and its strategy that 'we've cleared the decks and now we're going to get it right' has failed. It needs to be accountable for our current predicament.

Marchbank has been very disappointing to me. Another 3rd tall. I feel we can't play him and Plowman in the same side. Marchy is a good interceptor but he is not good in the physicality stakes. Plow has it over him there.

Neither can play anywhere else either.
I wouldn't be disappointed if both were moved on, neither are KP defenders or provide rebound run which we need a lot more of.

We should with our 3 quality tall forwards be able to take it on more off the half back line and kick long to one of them at the back of the zone and have a couple of speedy smalls running past for the crumb/chip over the top goal. Recruiting someone like Papley and getting back a fit motivated Pickett would do wonders for our scoring capability.

They also need a back up plan this year, not all in the Coniglio or bust basket like we have with Shiel/Rockliff if they can't get that A grader go after 2 B graders like Libba. Really can't afford to play another season with no support for Cripps in the middle.

My only criticism is that Bolts appears to have been removed entirely from CFC. He's unique, in that, by his own admission, he operates with a strong desire to create bonds, and invests in the broader development of players; perhaps like no other. Club's need those types of coaches. He should have been retained in some capacity other than game day coaching.
Understand the sentiment, but not sure any new coach would want the old coach hanging around the sidelines. You’d also think the assistant coaches would need to be looked at.

What reason would you give to support the current board knowing their numerous previous missteps?

This club is light years ahead of the situation when Mark LoJuidice took over - it is ridiculous to suggest he goes. And honestly I don’t give a s**t about people whinging re his demeanour in a press conference.

Has made many good decisions - and a few dodgy ones.

Try running a complex business, pushing hard forward and taking the necessary risks to catch up miles of lost ground - and avoid making mistakes along the way.

No-one is that good.

In the circumstances he’s done a great job.

PS - Bolts was just what we needed at the time. Had many strengths and one crucial weakness. It’s a pity he couldn’t evolve in the manner he needed to.

He looks a star early as predicted. But I guess everyone knew that. It's everything else that will be a worry going forward.

In regards to the topic, apart from further instability, why would we keep the current board?

Because MLJ has dragged the club from a complete basket case into the 21st century.

Still a long way to go.

You need to look at the bigger picture of what has been achieved and stop being a reactionary drama queen..

Here's the facts, we've had our worst on field performance over the last two years in our clubs history.

Off field we are in the strongest financial position we've enjoyed in 20 years.

The president doesn't coach the team. He doesn't even appoint the coaches or the senior coach. He puts other people in charge to do that job.

Supporters attacking the president are just ignorant, lashing out at everyone.

The media attacking Mark are just after another story to sell more newspapers. They can go and get stuffed.

Caro is leading the charge.

I’d love to know the truth re her relationship with Trigg.

Since Trigg was moved on she has viciously attached Carlton/MLJ, SOS, Bolton, Judd any chance she has.

Very, very bitter.

There is much more to this than we currently know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back