Opinion Mark Logiudice and the Board of Directors - No Board changes as at 24th Feb 2020

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I didn't want to enter this thread, office politics, but now I am here I throw my 2c in. Bolton did a superb job, he knew he would not have a lot to work with and probably no other coach would have walked away with a different coaching record. The club knew that, as did the board, but I feel something had turned in the last couple of weeks for the players to fall away as they did.

I really believe that there is no way in the world that the club would get rid of Bolton if it was to upset the playing list. I watched 10 minutes of the first quarter last week and turned it off, as the effort on the ground reminded me of the last few games under MM. The players had lost their confidence and reason why they play the game.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
My biggest gripe with the current board is that we are letting the AFL control us.
I’d like to see us stand for what is best for our club and things such as home ground and away jumper aren’t being addressed. For instance our supporters, members and even players despise Marvel.

I don’t, and a lot of people I know don’t, despise Marvel at all

Think it’s a brilliant stadium and perfect place to watch football especially in winter

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton board amd the powerbrokers in the background is the last part of our club that hasn't modernized.

The evidence is their on what malthouse alludes to.

To court shiel we spent $45k flying him to see Bruce Matheson on the Gold Coast. Bruce isn't on the board, so why would we do that? Because he is behind the scenes pulling the strings via his pokies money.

Don't believe it, well only have to look back 5years as he agitated in the media and got Sticks to step down. Not saying sticks was good or bad, but that's the facts.

We all chastised Edelstein for sitting in the box, we he hasn't disappeared, he still is in the background as part of small powerful coterie.

Compare our board to Brisbanes for example, look at the profiles and the professionally, corporate experience of the people. It's stark in my opinion, they even have 1 position voted on by the members to represent the members. It's a worthy discussion.

https://m.lions.com.au/club/about/board-of-directors

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It's a worthy discussion when phrased in these terms as opposed to the shallow OP. Getting caught up on individual board members instead of following the money only serves the interests of the string-pullers.

Stormzy

Senior List
Aug 29, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Manchester City FC
I loved Juddy as a player, probably my favorite player of all time but I just don't understand his role at the club nor do I understand Wallsy's either.

They both sound like they're doing the same job - I'd rather just remove them both and get in Roos as that mentor/director for the new coach, whoever that may be.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I loved Juddy as a player, probably my favorite player of all time but I just don't understand his role at the club nor do I understand Wallsy's either.

They both sound like they're doing the same job - I'd rather just remove them both and get in Roos as that mentor/director for the new coach, whoever that may be.
He's the conduit between the footy dept and the board; and also between both of those and you. Rather than try to fit him into an orthodox role that exists at every other club, look at his unique strengths and utilise them; which is precisely what the club is doing.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe just about every Melb club has influential supporters/benefactors lurking in the background.
We are not on our own.
Ours tend to be highlighted more in the media, for various reasons.
Does it affect the on field performance of the team? I don’t really understand how it can.
I’m sure someone will explain it for me.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
“backbone willing to say the saying the hard things” - give me a spell.
I didn't want to enter this thread, office politics, but now I am here I throw my 2c in. Bolton did a superb job, he knew he would not have a lot to work with and probably no other coach would have walked away with a different coaching record. The club knew that, as did the board, but I feel something had turned in the last couple of weeks for the players to fall away as they did.

I really believe that there is no way in the world that the club would get rid of Bolton if it was to upset the playing list. I watched 10 minutes of the first quarter last week and turned it off, as the effort on the ground reminded me of the last few games under MM. The players had lost their confidence and reason why they play the game.
I agree fully. I consider myself as hardcore a supporter as there is. I have always backed the club in but i guess having seen 8 flags the club has a few more credits in my eyes than it does for others.
However something clearly went wrong from the north game on where the players lost their way and daisy lost the plot. If it continued the brand would have been damaged further.
I have nothing but respect for bolts and the way he handled himself throughout. I am up on the gold coast at the moment and after last week thought that i wouldnt bother with saturdays game and just go to suns v kangas.
Hope springs eternal though. I will be glued to the screen on saturday and hope that my team will begin to show what they are . capable of. Then I'll head to carrara. Go blues.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I believe just about every Melb club has influential supporters/benefactors lurking in the background.
We are not on our own.
Does it affect the on field performance of the team? I don’t really understand how it can.

I’d like all Pratt’s and mathisons out of the picture completely.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
We are not on our own.

It starts here more than in the media. Pratt and Mathieson perceived to be pulling strings by many. Don't really perceive it, but always happy to talk about it.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I’d like all Pratt’s and mathisons out of the picture completely.

I don’t quite get this, they’re just like you and I, passionate and proud Carlton supporters, except they have way more moula (than me anyway)

I can’t stand the Elliott’s, completely and utterly ****ed the club, but I don’t withhold their right to follow the Blues with passion.

I think many way overestimate their influence nowadays but everyone is entitled to their opinion on that.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don’t quite get this, they’re just like you and I, passionate and proud Carlton supporters, except they have way more moula (than me anyway)

I can’t stand the Elliott’s, completely and utterly ****** the club, but I don’t withhold their right to follow the Blues with passion.

I think many way overestimate their influence nowadays but everyone is entitled to their opinion on that.

I just don’t like the idea that they hold sway because of $$$.

Just seems silly football related decisions can be made just by monied individuals.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Fair enough, why?
Do you think they influence team selection, gameplan, drafting, injury management, game day coaching??

I actually do, yes.

I think they can threaten to withhold funds if they don’t get their way.

Seeing Pratt’s son come out and say get Clarkson or Matthews (????) shows how out of touch with reality they are.

Hopefully with Liddle on board and our improving membership we can become self sufficient going forward.

I don’t think the situation is as bad as it once was admittedly and think these power brokers have at least brought into our current rebuild process.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I actually do, yes.

Seeing Pratt’s son come out and say get Clarkson or Matthews (????) shows how out of touch with reality they are.

Hopefully with Liddle on board and our improving membership we can become self sufficient going forward.

I don’t think the situation is as bad as it once was admittedly and think these power brokers have at least brought into our current rebuild process.
Mate are you saying that a board member would threaten to hold back funds if the team is not selected the way he wants.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
I actually do, yes.

Sorry, I think that's ridiculous

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I actually do, yes.

This is from the richest man in Aus ....

NO IDEA! :eek:

We lost Judd - Um no Anthony he hung up the boots

Who on earth are Jarred Waite & Lockie Henderson ... WTF

Um we lost Daisy :oops: .... no Anthony you really have no idea

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I don't mind all that much about things like that because the basic tenet of what Pratt says is right.
As Henry Ford proved in court long ago its about hiring people who do have an idea.

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
This is from the richest man in Aus ....

NO IDEA! :eek:

We lost Judd - Um no Anthony he hung up the boots

Who on earth are Jarred Waite & Lockie Henderson ... WTF

Um we lost Daisy :oops: .... no Anthony you really have no idea

that Tweet is embarrassing, no wonder he is mates with Trump. Kindred spirits.

The sacking of Ratten.
The hiring of Malthouse.
So we're fighting battles from 2012, are we? Sakc Swann! Sakc Bruce Matheson! Sakc Kernahan (even though he backed Ratts)!

I don't have a problem with the current board. The business of the club has never been better. There's been no in-fighting at the top level, no damaging leaks and Fat Tony has been seen and not heard - exactly how it should be. Considering he was a compromise figurehead between then hostile camps he's been bloody good.

In retrospect I can see your point about replacing Neil Craig sooner. I suppose that's what Walls was there for recently. Not sure that helped. Maybe we should ask the next coach who they'd prefer.

However, I'm glad to see that Soapy has finally taken responsibility for his failings. About time. Shame, Soapy, shame.

Last edited:
Back