Mark Neeld to coach.... thoughts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Syrus, I respect everyone's opinion. But if you come on here and unfairly and unnecessarily rip in to my captain after him having one bad year after 11 at the club, then I'll defend him to the hilt.

If it makes you feel good demeaning Green the way that you did, then you go for it. I think it's pretty poor.

S39. I think he was good player but I dont think he is Captain material.
The way i went about portraying that was probably unjust.

S39. I think he was good player but I dont think he is Captain material.
The way i went about portraying that was probably unjust.

Fair enough mate. Let's move on.

I need to learn to take my rose-coloured glasses off every now and again.

Cheap shots at the captain for his twitters isn't criticism.

As Neeld said: get onboard. You ask the players to toughen up, but can't do it yourself.

Weak.

I think Green deserves another year as captain. He had a poor year. But he wasn't alone. Most of our senior group had a poor year. I think it would be a poor decision by the club to axe him as captain. Have we not learnt from the Junior debacle? Give him one more year, and hopefully under Neeld he can get back to his 2010 form...

From an outsiders point of view over here in Perth i didn't know who this bloke was but he looks/sounds very impressive when he speaks. I think he will be good for your club.

I think Green deserves another year as captain. He had a poor year. But he wasn't alone. Most of our senior group had a poor year. I think it would be a poor decision by the club to axe him as captain. Have we not learnt from the Junior debacle? Give him one more year, and hopefully under Neeld he can get back to his 2010 form...

One of the first orders of business should be to determine if Green really wants to be captain. If he does, we shouldn't sack him. It will look terrible to sack two captains in two years. Even if he doesn't want to remain captain, we could appoint a co-captain for a year and let Green exit gracefully. I suspect either Moloney or Trengrove will start to take over.

It may be that the players really do want to play for Green, and if so, to "sack" him as captain would be a retrograde step. But if Green decides he wants to step down, everybody might breathe a sigh of relief and we can appoint somebody new and see it as a fresh start. Part of that fresh start is to remember that before this year, Green was a damn fine player. Maybe he should just be left to do his job as a forward - no more wandering up the ground trying to look like a leader and leaving a gaping hole in our forward line in the process.

One thing is for sure, if Green does step down, when we have the press conference to announce the new captain Green should be right there beside him and he should say something like, "I was happy to step in and do the job for a year because Junior was gone, but I'd prefer to hand over the captaincy and focus on kicking goals. It is my decision to step down, it was a great honour, but I'm very happy to play under (player X) as our new captain".

Neeld interview on the ABC. Very interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/afl/audio/

love the comment he made about the holes in our list and how he said to the panel he expected them to be addressed by the club in its recruitment.

This hasn't been given enough time on BF. Everyone should go listen to this interview, it gives you some insight into what he presented to the club to get the job.

I agree RandB, loved hearing that the things he said about putting up a team sheet, naming players in position who where he thought they should be & then leaving holes where he thought we don't have AFL standard players to fill, challenging the recruiting department to get him the cattle to fill the holes even before he got the job is AWESOME!!

Great to hear some what he presented & makes me support the decision more, would like to know where the holes were & who he left out of the team, but guess that'd never get made public. But I hope every player on the list knows he did this, it should scare the absolute s**t out of plenty of players

If Neeld has Morton on his list of blokes that can play AFL level he won't last out his contract................

Raises a point - do you think it doesnt matter who coaches if you still have the players that aren't up to it?

Can Neeld turn pig sh*t into strawberry jam?

If Neeld has Morton on his list of blokes that can play AFL level he won't last out his contract................

Raises a point - do you think it doesnt matter who coaches if you still have the players that aren't up to it?

That is true to a point, without quality players you won't get anywhere. But I think the problem with us isn't not having quality, it's inconsistency. I'm not saying we have a premiership quality list already, but there's no doubt most of us agree that with the players on our list we should have won more games & finished higher on the ladder.

Yes we have holes & Neeld has pointed them out & hopes to fill them, be that by trading, drafting or developing our current list. If Neeld gets a system in place that means we most weeks (can't expect perfect application immediately, even Geelong slips once/twice a year) play to a certain level, then we will really see what players are up to it, what players aren't & what holes we need to fill.

I find it really hard to judge players on our list because of their inconsistency, some show moments of brilliance 1 week & then crap for the next 4, it's hard deciding why you'd keep 1 player because of potential but not another. Almost our whole list does that, including senior players like Beamer, Rivers, Jamar & this season especially Green.

Ideally I'd love for us to be in Carlton's position next year (maybe in reality it won't be as high on the ladder), knowing they made it x amount of the way but key deficiencies clearly pointed out so they can try to address them in the off season.

Of course it matters who coaches. Players always look 2nd rate when the team is playing without belief or confidence. Just look at the WCE. Bailey was tactically inept, and unable to motivate the players, which are the minimum requirements of an AFL coach.

We have talent, but as Neeld has identified, there are holes in our structure which require players from outside to fill these roles.

Even a player like Morton could play a role in a well coached team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope that this guy brings the GAMEPLAN which we have lacked for 3 years along with him. This will be enough to change the dynamic of the group imo.

Is tough on players not living upto their potential atm Morton, Sylvia maybe Petterd ect

Bailey seemed to go easy on them all imo, like when they had a "hard" session after being humiliated in a game sort of stuff....do that every week man jeez.

Neeld wont take crap and the players will know that if they dont give what it takes they wont have an AFL career, with MFC anyway imo, this is the type of Coach i want Neeld to be, and i think this is what he is.

Near enough, is not going to be good enough with this guy

I CANNOT wait for 2012 with Neeld

Malthouse rates him very highly. That's good enough for me.

Reckon we'll see in the near future Neeld and Trengove standing on the podium on Grand Final day.
If I could go back in time, I'd give 2011 me an uppercut for this.

If I could go back in time, I'd give 2011 me an uppercut for this.
I don't think you'd be alone. I remember being disappointed we didn't get him, don't recall a single person talking him down.

Still find it hard to believe everyone was so wrong with him given the way he was talked about as an assistant coach. Part of me wonders how he would have gone at a club which was a bit more prepared to have a 'rookie' coach but you never really hear anyone talk positively about him who spent time under him when he was the head coach.

Got to give it to David King.

He was calling for Neeld to be sacked early on in his first year. Said he saw stuff with Neeld that was going to destroy Melbourne.

At the time, I was thinking 'shut up w***er, what would you know?'

Now I'm thinking 'Kingy was right all along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back