News Mark O'Connor apologises for playing secret Gaelic match

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He did... it was on his end of season trip after they won the flag...

And he was clearly hammered or under the influence of something

As a non dog's fan it was absolutely fantastic hahahaha
That was when he shaved his head on the sidelines then went into the ruck... dude was a hilariously beautiful mess.

Gman12

Senior List
Apr 8, 2009
Wexford, Ireland
AFL Club
West Coast
Just some perspective on this, O Connor played a club game, so wouldnt even be on the same radar as the level of AFL or reserves or anything. It would be like local league games, hence why players walk onto teams after a year out and back from a wedding the day before. As mentioned, Zac Tuohy did this for a number of years whilst playing with Carlton. A lot of the Irish players did when they came home after the season. They wouldnt play with their county, but would play for their local village club team. O Connor got a black card, which in Gaelic is issued for a cynical foul, most often for dragging a player to the ground, so sounds like he brought his AFL tackle onto the Gaelic field!

Congrats too on snaring another Kerry player, Stefan Okunbar. Not the most traditional of Irish names!

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
An idiot who doesn't understand where the B&F sits in the footy year. Important night for the club- to congratulate team mates, thank support and admin team, acknowledge members and recognise sponsors who by the way help pay your wages.
Stay in the VFL for another year mate.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If he was a professional Gaelic footballer in the off season visiting Australia and playing in a serious AFL match it would be a terrible decision. The risk of injury in AFL is massively different to the softer (though entertaining and exciting) Irish game. I do think though that he should have asked the GFC for permission to play and I'd expect he'd be given the OK.

I say, why not? Let the guy do it. Just say if he injures himself then have some sort of clause in his contract that cats will not compensate him.
That's okay now, but what if O'Connor was a 100 gamer and on our top 5 players and he did this?

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
An idiot who doesn't understand where the B&F sits in the footy year. Important night for the club- to congratulate team mates, thank support and admin team, acknowledge members and recognise sponsors who by the way help pay your wages.
Stay in the VFL for another year mate.

Ridiculous to think a kid who had relocated to the other side of the world and wants to go back home over the off season would be expected to cut that time in half for a presentation evening. Let me guess you're one of those 'sponsors' and you feel because you chipped in some cash he should put you higher on his list of priorities than his family and friends. Here was me thinking we paid him to play footy which he's making a pretty good fist of. But apparently travelling back half way across the world for the B&F is what really matters. Give me a break!

That's okay now, but what if O'Connor was a 100 gamer and on our top 5 players and he did this?
He wouldn't have been given the ok to go home to Ireland early and instead would have been at the b&f - so the rest wouldn't have happened

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Hmmm. The storm in a teacup thread is still ticking over.

Nobody is creating a storm Maxy, just sharing the news, seems there is mixed opinions on this tbh, there would be much more outrage if he was one of our best and most well paid players but because he isn't it seems like it should be allowed. My issue with it is he missed the BnF to go and do it which really should be a no no...every player should be expected to attend the BnF like they would a training session. Anyhoo no harm done and he copped a slap on the wrist and all is forgotten but I hope he realizes that being a professional athlete and being paid good $$$ comes at the cost of certain things that could put him at risk of injury. The GFC still have to pay his wages and waste a list spot if he was to be out for the season because of a stupid injury.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Nobody is creating a storm Maxy, just sharing the news, seems there is mixed opinions on this tbh, there would be much more outrage if he was one of our best and most well paid players but because he isn't it seems like it should be allowed. My issue with it is he missed the BnF to go and do it which really should be a no no...every player should be expected to attend the BnF like they would a training session. Anyhoo no harm done and he copped a slap on the wrist and all is forgotten but I hope he realizes that being a professional athlete and being paid good $$$ comes at the cost of certain things that could put him at risk of injury. The GFC still have to pay his wages and waste a list spot if he was to be out for the season because of a stupid injury.
Hear what you're saying mate, however...
Some people find "outrage" in anything and everything.
The club excused him from attending the best and fairest to go home to Ireland.
Where's the actual harm in that?
And as for the game...he shouldn't have done that.
But he didn't bash his girlfriend, pretend to root a dog, piss in a pot plant or drive his car at 100ks in in 60 zone.
It is what it is.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Hear what you're saying mate, however...
Some people find "outrage" in anything and everything.
The club excused him from attending the best and fairest to go home to Ireland.
Where's the actual harm in that?
And as for the game...he shouldn't have done that.
But he didn't bash his girlfriend, pretend to root a dog, piss in a pot plant or drive his car at 100ks in in 60 zone.
It is what it is.

Are we sure....he is irish after all :p

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
My issue with it is he missed the BnF to go and do it which really should be a no no...every player should be expected to attend the BnF like they would a training session..

Which would be fine except the B&F is planned right in the middle of the enforced annual leave and we're talking about a guy who is separated from family and friends who planned to visit them during that time.

As an Australian living and working in Europe I can empathise with him. If I was forced to take my leave at a particular time, was going to be 30+ hours travel away and my boss told me I had to come back for 1 day of work right in the middle that had no bearing on my work output (they're still footballers ad not professional meet and greeters right?) frankly I'd tell him to get ****ed.

Its funny the perspective.

MOC plays in an unsanctioned Gaelic game and gets his pee pee slapped.

25 AA play in a sanctioned 3 test series Gaelic game and its all good.

Same injury potential but very different outcomes. Clubs still in place to lose same amount from either situation.

Go Catters

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
We all see this differently, of course.

I actually find his disrespect for and lying to the club the most irritating. They told him what they expected and he then proceeded to do exactly what he was asked to avoid. And then happens to be 'sorry' when his flouting of their conditions is inevitably exposed.

Clearly the club is moving on and drawing a line under it. And kudos to them for doing so.

Would be great, though, if players everywhere (not just MOC, and not just at the Cats) could simply 'let their yes be yes and let their no be no'.

Novel thought, I know.

Back