Toast Mark O'Connor

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to change his name to Rick O'Shea because everytime the ball comes into his area it generally rebounds back out.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Feel stupid this slipped my mind before - is he in AA contention, at least the 40 man squad if not the final team?

He's not one of the best 6 defenders in the competition.
Taylor's been better and Stewart is still our no.1 despite missing a couple of matches.

Aug 22, 2015
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Geelong
Something I have noticed about MOC, he seems to always have 2 even 3 opposition players around him, willing to chase him, thereby freeing up our guys up the field, which is always a bonus. He even appears to be slower than he actually is, almost lulling the oppo players into thinking 'I can take this guy easy', but it doesn't happen. Definitely a revelation this year.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
For those with access to the Age

Love the guy - definitely one of my favourites.

Interesting point raised regarding the decrease in list sizes and the effect that will have on Irish (and other non traditional background) players. I hadn't thought of that, but you'd think clubs would be less willing to take a punt on these guys and instead play it safe. Might make things a bit more boring.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Love the guy - definitely one of my favourites.

Interesting point raised regarding the decrease in list sizes and the effect that will have on Irish (and other non traditional background) players. I hadn't thought of that, but you'd think clubs would be less willing to take a punt on these guys and instead play it safe. Might make things a bit more boring.

I think the AFL would be wise to keep the two Cat B spots even if the rest of the rookie list is disbanded. So if they reduced the normal list to 36 for example, clubs could still have two Cat Bs outside the cap if they were willing and able. Only way to keep poaching talented athletes from other sports.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
This thread is a microcosm of the board over the last couple of years:

- thread is started toasting something positive about the club
- posters join in embracing the positive
- seeds (or a few select other buzzkill posters) try to rain on the parade by ignoring all positives and focussing on inevitable possible areas of improvement
- thread turns out to be prophetic as positive developments prove sustainable.
- seeds (or other buzzkill) is not to be seen again)
- majority rejoice in positive develolment
- other buzzkill poster (such as catscollector) joins thread to play down positives and take on role raining on parade
- rinse. Repeat

So predictable.

It almost makes you think that there were trolls out there with multiple accounts just stirring shite.

This thread is a microcosm of the board over the last couple of years:

- thread is started toasting something positive about the club
- posters join in embracing the positive
- seeds (or a few select other buzzkill posters) try to rain on the parade by ignoring all positives and focussing on inevitable possible areas of improvement
- thread turns out to be prophetic as positive developments prove sustainable.
- seeds (or other buzzkill) is not to be seen again)
- majority rejoice in positive develolment
- other buzzkill poster (such as catscollector) joins thread to play down positives and take on role raining on parade
- rinse. Repeat

So predictable.

It almost makes you think that there were trolls out there with multiple accounts just stirring sh*te.
Ignore is your friend. I can’t see any of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

232B6A10-C422-419A-AC74-69150A4F89A2.gif

Think its time for a bump here...

Gone from B Class Rookie to MF shark bite on the oppo's best mid.

Not saying he's the second coming of Ling or anything, but its a fair effort to go in the guts and be a noticeable clamp on his opponent.

Quality work, quality bloke it seems and he's not old.

And chalk another one up to what happens when kids are given time to develop and mature. Not every one makes it - but the instant expectation of effect and success is not real.

Credit to Shark and the club for getting this done.

GO Catters

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Equal third Gaelic footballer imported from Ireland to have won a Flag at their adopted footballing code.

Where's he at?

Not yet 26 and theoretically in the physical prime of his life - he's had niggles this year though of course. Still hasn't played 100 games; feels as though he's been around for quite a while (to me at least).

His 2022 season definitely peaked on Grand Final day; up until then his year had seemed a bit laboured in some respects; always battling to keep his spot, and that spot not really well-defined compared to his role-playing comrades.

O'Connor persevered though, and his Grand Final was purposeful.

What's this about him going back to Ireland to play in the off-season?

I don't begrudge it; but I wonder how much longer he sees himself playing in Australia ...

I like the thought of Conor McKenna coming into the fold and joining his compatriots; I always admired Melbourne's audacity and lateral thinking in tapping the Gaelic code back in the mid-80s (was this largely spearheaded by Barassi himself Vdubs Goggin Our Best FredLeDeux David the Cat ?).

Aug 16, 2012
Sector 7g
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bendigo Bank Cats
Had this guy and Parfitt in out top
5 midfielders not long ago so thrilled they both have a medal now.

We should buck the trend and let the lad go home and play for a while in the off season so long as he’s keeping himself in good order.

Lock-down mid or small defender love to see him play into his thirties and help bring in one or two more Irish lads.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Lock-down mid or small defender love to see him play into his thirties and help bring in one or two more Irish lads.

He can start by convincing Oisin Mullin to reconsider his decision to stay in Ireland. When you watch Mullin's Gaelic highlights, everything about him screams "would be an absolute gun in the AFL." Such a shame he backflipped on us as I feel like he would have been an amazing bargain recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back