Mark of the year 2018 - Who wins it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm biased, I freely admit it, but Francis for mine over Heeney. Very similar grabs, both got roughly the same elevation, both took the ball at about the same height, both got a small secondary lift, but Francis was controlled all the way up and down. No question Heeney's was a good grab, and looked good because of the way he fell forward, but Francis' was the better mark. It's kind of like the argument between Shaun Smith's grab and Gary Moorcroft's.

Quite a distinct lack of Nic love in this thread:
giphy.gif
Probably because there were quite a few better marks taken this year

Just another run and jump mark vs Michael Walters.

From 3 steps, that's right 3 steps Sonny sits on a guys shoulders almost 20cm taller than him (all whilst not looking at the ball,) turning and taking the mark at a 45° angle about a meter away from the shoulders he is sitting on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the fact he is wearing a West Coast Eagles jumper is having a profound impact on your opinion.

I'm just saying Nic's mark was more difficult then Aaron Francis' because he the distance jumped was higher and he's heavier, that's hardly unfair at all.

And I'm not going to act like I'm unbiased, otherwise you should say this to every Sydney, Essendon and Fremantle fan in the thread who thinks their respective players mark should win it. Sorry that I feel Nic's is a contender.

Last edited:
I'm just saying Nic's mark was more difficult then Aaron Francis' because he the distance jumped was higher and he's heavier, that's hardly unfair at all.

And I'm not going to act like I'm unbiased, otherwise you should say this to every Sydney, Essendon and Fremantle fan in the thread who thinks their respective players' mark should win it. Sorry that I feel Nic's is a contender.
Dont apologise for having an opinion. Im just saying your opinion is biased - like others.

The competition is the best mark. The most spectacular. I don't think a players weight and the 'difficulty level' is taken into account. More difficult doesn't necessarily make it better IMO.

Love Heeney and Walters marks. I'd give it to Heeney though, absolutely spectacular.
Francis was huge too but, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, for me a huge grab immediately becomes less spectacular when the player lands on his feet.

And I'm not going to act like I'm unbiased, otherwise you should say this to every Sydney, Essendon and Fremantle fan in the thread who thinks their respective players' mark should win it. Sorry that I feel Nic's is a contender.

I'm not at all bias. If one if better than the other I'll always say, perfect example, Sonnys mark is better than all the others!

Love Heeney and Walters marks. I'd give it to Heeney though, absolutely spectacular.
Francis was huge too but, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, for me a huge grab immediately becomes less spectacular when the player lands on his feet.
I always felt like that with Ashley Sampi's mark. Still a classic grab though but almost too clean.

Just another run and jump mark vs Michael Walters.

From 3 steps, that's right 3 steps Sonny sits on a guys shoulders almost 20cm taller than him (all whilst not looking at the ball,) turning and taking the mark at a 45° angle about a meter away from the shoulders he is sitting on...
Got my vote

Dont apologise for having an opinion. Im just saying your opinion is biased - like others.

The competition is the best mark. The most spectacular. I don't think a players weight and the 'difficulty level' is taken into account. More difficult doesn't necessarily make it better IMO.

Difficulty is certainly taken into account for GOTY. Granted, kicking goals and taking marks aren't the same thing, but I don't think marks should solely be judged by their visual appeal.

Definitely. That's why Sampi's mark way back when is so under-rated. I think it may be the highest any player has got - but then he landed cleanly and everyone said 'wow!' instead of 'WOWWWWW!'.

Difficulty is certainly taken into account for GOTY. Granted, kicking goals and taking marks aren't the same thing, but I don't think marks should solely be judged by their visual appeal.
Definitely for GOTY and yes much more than MOTY.

Rarely does MOTY go to a mark due to its difficulty if it ever has. The only one I can think of that was judged differently I suppose was Jonathan Brown's. Wasn't the typical hanger that normally wins but incredibly courageous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back