Mark Phillipousis

Remove this Banner Ad

Would really like to see him have an injury free run and show us what he can do but I fear age may have caught up with him.

Underachiever and over the hill.

Has much more natural talent than fellow Australian Hewitt, but just doesn't have the mentality to do any real damage in the sport.

It's time for Tennis Australia to say look, your on your own. Get your career back by yourself and prove to us that you want it. No more wildcard freebies should be wasted on him.

Although done in straight last night, at times he showed he still knew how to hit a ball. His timing was out, his shot selection suspect, and his fitness was gone, but he can still hit a massive ball. I've never been a massive fan of his, but with a huge effort on his part, he may ( a big "MAY"), be able to resurrect some sort of form.

Anything to keep that fiance of his on the sidelines for a little longer anyway. Grrrrrrrrrr.:thumbsu:

Harvey Leadpipe said:
Although done in straight last night, at times he showed he still knew how to hit a ball. His timing was out, his shot selection suspect, and his fitness was gone, but he can still hit a massive ball. I've never been a massive fan of his, but with a huge effort on his part, he may ( a big "MAY"), be able to resurrect some sort of form.

Anything to keep that fiance of his on the sidelines for a little longer anyway. Grrrrrrrrrr.:thumbsu:

Big deal. He always has had the big ability to hit big. So what. That doesn't win you grand slams alone. This combined with dedication and determination does, which mark has never had. It so annoying continually hearing the likes of JA saying he is so talented etc. He has never had the mental application to win a grand slam and never will.

I agree with eastaugh36, no more wildcards should be wasted on him.

eastaugh36 said:
It's time for Tennis Australia to say look, your on your own. Get your career back by yourself and prove to us that you want it. No more wildcard freebies should be wasted on him.
Grosjean is no hack, just remember that. That said, I agree, because he has to beat these kind of opponents if he wants to be a grand slam player.

More than anything the game has passed him by.

5-10 years ago it was really impressive how hard he could hit the ball compared to other players, but nowadays his power, his greatest strenth, is matched and overriden by quite a few other players.

And not only do players have more strength nowadays they are also able to combine it with with speed and flexibility, something Philippoussis could never do.

He should give the game away and retire and stop embarassing himself on the court. He has had a decent tennis career. Reached two slam finals, part of 2 Davis Cup winning teams, one which he won off his own racquet, and about ten titles to go with it. Not a bad career when all is said and done, even though he did underachieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eastaugh36 said:
Grrrr, just because he wont he last match. A wins a win whether it's the first rubber or the last! :mad:

Think the other Davis Cup tie - in France. He won that for us.

In 2003 Hewitt softened Ferrero up and Poo nearly fu..ed it up regardless.

I think one part of his game against Grosjean pretty much summed up Mark Philippousis. After lobbing a shot back, he just expected Grosj to smash it back into court and win the point, so he turned his back to the play and gave up.

Yes, that's right. He turned his back to the play and gave up.

I'm not sure if Grosj or any other player would have done the same in a similar situation.

Falchoon said:
No hunger.

Happy with the bank account achieved, trophies and rankings are just a side issue.

I think the majority of the bank account he has achieved has been ***ssed up against the wall so to speak...

But yeah... fitness and motivation are two massive problems... not to mention the space that exists between the ears...

Heartless, showpony, who will never be as good as he could, or should have been. Waste of talent.

Appears to not put in the practice compared to other players.

Has the talent, but never shows it as silly errors get in his way that can be eliminated by practise and extra training.

I find it annoying when people refer to him as being talented. "Got the talent", "has the potential" "if only...", blah blah.

Talent amounts to NOTHING if you don't put the hard yards in to reach it and keep it there where it is best used. On the tennis court.

Which is why saying that "he has talent" is irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back