Roast Mark Robinson has an issue with the don’t argue.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's just a ghost writer for Rita. The Hun still burning that Dusty had no case to answer for the restaurant incident, despite their best muckrakers inventing a farrago of lies. They still want to use delicately worded innuendo to bring down one of the greatest players the game has seen.

I’m impressed with the use of the word “farrago”. Had to look it up

Hey he got what he wanted; people are talking about his dribble

Exactly...that's how the "media" work nowadays,,,it's all about the pings. If you need to write crap to get pings then that's what you do. Besides....lets face it, the article was probably done by the work experience kid...........slobbo would have still been at the bar late Sunday night.

Hmmm. Point out the high ones.

Dusty is superstar, but has bad boy image (chopstickgate!),a dn doesn't talk much. So I'll get his dirty play ...........

Sometimes his fends are towards to shoulder or top of the chest

apologetic-facial-expression_medium.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.

I thought I would have a look at the AFL Laws as they relate to this.

First of all - a fend-off is not a tackle, so the rules relating to tackles do not apply. A tackle is applied to a player who has possession of the ball. It's not a marking contest. It's not a charge, or shepherd.

So - if we look at Prohibited Contact (Law 15.4.5) it says (to summarise) you are not allowed to make contact Above the Shoulders (including the top of the shoulders) in a manner likely to cause injury.

I know Martin is strong, but I don't think a fend to the top of the shoulder is likely to cause injury to a player at all. I get protecting the head and throat - but if his hand does hit the top of the shoulder, I don't see why it should be a free kick. It's the usual 'put two laws together - if you can't tackle above the shoulders, you can't touch anywhere above the shoulders'.

Can some umpiring guru explain where I have made an error in my analysis. Or point me towards an AFL directive re this.

(The contact likely to cause injury also applies to below the knees - hence the laws against diving at the ball and accidentally collecting an opponent - we all hate it, but the AFL have made a directive that if you leave your feet etc etc - dangerous. We may disagree, but at least the AFL spellt it out).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back