Mark Robinson Top 50 players Post 2017 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bes
couldnt agree more , the biggest turn over king ever , does anyone watch him closely or what
Best Richmond player since Richo, although hard to top Martin this year. And no rarely turns it over, may have in his first 30-40 games but now is super reliable. I don't know what you've been watching... or you are taking the piss perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Riewoldt criminally over rated at 25, and Lambert at 50? Jesus christ, winning a premiership makes some people go bananas.
Jack Riewoldt is so under rated. Besides Franklin, who is easily the best forward playing (and Nic Riewoldt who was a star), I'd have Jack over any other current key forward playing.
Daniher is the player with the most potential, Kennedy the most efficient, but Jack does it all. Great pack mark, best key forward once the ball hits the ground. Probably gets to more contests than any other key forward, best on non-preferred, tackles hard, 1%ers, and efficiency with the ball. Sure other forwards might be better at aspects of forward play, lead, mark, kick Kennedy, harder to match up on when on song, Daniher, but Riewoldt brings other players into the game, almost every game, like no other forward. How he has been under rated for so long amazes me. Personality perhaps.

This thread every single year:

"Player A is a joke"
"Robbo is drunk"
"Player A actually had a really good season"
"Player B from my club should've been higher"
"Player C is only there on reputation. Player D, Player E from my club and Player F all more worthy"
"Robbo is drunk"
"Player E is not in the top 50"
"You obviously didn't watch Player E this year"
"Where is Player G from my club?"
"Player H is a joke"
"Player H actually had a really good season"
"Robbo is drunk"

etc.

Which player who didn't make the list would you put in instead of Lambert? Just curious to know. I agree there are a lot around his level - but Lambert got a chance to play in Finals and the GF and produced when it mattered.

So who is clearly better (on 2017 form)?

Selwood should not be in the top 25. How he made the AA squad in front of cotchin is one of life’s great mysteries.

As a Melbourne supporter I'd happily argue Clayton Oliver was way better than Selwood this year, but outside of that Cotchin had to be up there. This year was the best footy he's ever played and he was a part of leading Richmond to finals glory.
Cotch Rance and Martin all comfortably top 20 this year. With the latter 2 being 1-2 in the AFL.
I don't like Jack Riewoldt at all but his team first footy and ability to kick both left and right to find team mates from outside 50 is underrated.

Rance is a good player, but number 3? Joe Daniher at 14 and Ben Brown at 39? 65 goals and 63 goals. Is Daniher's work around the ground worth 25 more spots?

There is some head scratchers, Brown should be closer to Daniher. I agree with Rance's position though. Him and Martin just won Richmond the flag basically. If it is purely based off 2017 no issue with them being in the top 3.

Mind you every list has some head scratchers! It's still better than Sidebottom being in the top 10 in the other list lol!

Can anyone tell me why the AA captain would not be in the best 3 players in the league?
Because being named captain is meant to be about leadership ability - not playing ability.

Giving this a crack
Ill base this on a 2016/17 form guide, adjusted for injury (but not form drops whilst playing)
For those suspended for all of 2016, i am basing it on their 2017 form only

1-Buddy Franklin
2-Patrick Dangerfield
3-Dustin Martin
4-Scott Pendlebury
5-Alex Rance
6-Gary Ablett
7-Josh P Kennedy
8-Rory Sloane
9-Josh J Kennedy
10-Joe Daniher
11-Josh Kelly
12-Robbie Gray
13-Zach Merrett
14-Trent Cotchin
15-Matt Crouch
16-Michael Hurley
17-Dylan Shiel
18-Toby Greene
19-Patrick Ryder
20-Nathan Fyfe
21-Rory Laird
22-Marcus Bontempelli
23-Max Gawn
24-Eddie Betts
25-Michael Hibberd
26-Ben Brown
27-Tom Mitchell
28-Joel Selwood
29-Dayne Zorko
30-Sam Jacobs
31-Sam Docherty
32-Jeremy McGovern
33-Ollie Wines
34-Brad Ebert
35-Dayne Beams
36-Dyson Heppell
37-Tom Lynch (Adel)
38-Clayton Oliver
39-Luke Parker
40-Elliot Yeo
41-Callan Ward
42-Jack Macrae
43-Mitch Duncan
44-Charlie Dixon
45-Lachie Neale
46-Taylor Adams
47-Mathew Kruezer
48-Jack Billings
49-Harry Taylor
50-Nathan Jones

team break up
6 - Ade
5 - Port
4 - Geel (Ablett counted against GCS), Ess, GWS, Melb
3 - Syd, WCE, Rich
2 - Carl, Freo, Coll, WB, Bris
1 - St K, Haw, North, GCS
0 - Nil

2017 has seen me remove some notable forwards, who i felt sacrificed their games for team strategy (J.Riewoldt, Walker) or were behind other players this year (N.Riewoldt, Tom Lynch). Lynch particularly due to be starved of opportunity.

Some strong finishes in 2017 for players like Billings, Brown, Adams, Mitchell and Cotchin saw them either jump into the top 50 or storm up the rankings.

New faces from my 2016 list: Brown, Heppell, Billings, Oliver, Dixon & Kelly.
Missing from my 2016 list: N.Riewoldt, Sam Mitchell, L.Hodge, Tex Walker, Adam Treloar, Tom Lynch

On the cusp:
Adam Treloar - Finds the ball but his disposal has seen his ability to hurt opposition decline.
Tom Lynch - Starved of the ball at times and is killed by the forward entries of GCS. I would have him top 10 on his potential.
Ryan Burton - Young kid, but I've been very impressed with his ability under pressure. Watching him closely.
Roughead, Gunston & Rioli - 3 players i regularly rate highly. With a full compliment of senior players, i'd expect these 3 to be up there for the end of 2018.
Patrick Cripps - Hopefully gets an injury free preseason and 2018 and we can see this kid in full flight. Another top 10 candidate for me.
Dion Prestia - Missing link in the Tigers midfield. When he got going this year, he started setting up the richmond plays out of the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back