Roast Mark Robinson

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on your point of view...

Probably not the sort of issue which gets considered much in the old 'public v private' education debate. Might be best to leave it that way...

Probably not the sort of issue which gets considered much in the old 'public v private' education debate. Might be best to leave it that way...

Beware of the school leopard.

He is an expression of a growing phenomenon. In our current individual obsessed world, we have become convinced in the innate superiority of the unschooled everyman over the expert. Facts no longer matter, learning no longer matters, process and ethics no longer matters, all that matters is the individual opinion. Robbo is the quintessential everyman, the defiantly untutored, unapologetically biased, guy down the pub who appeals to the innate belief amongst those without the ability or dare I say it discipline to actually learn anything about a topic and whose loudness grows in direct proportion to their alcohol consumption and ignorance.

These people are not interested in facts, indeed anyone bringing up inconvenient facts is likely to be seen as a member of the "elite", "vested interests", the hated ones responsible for all that is bad, or worse, part of the conspiracy themselves. All they are interested is someone in the public eye willing to parrot their own spittle laden prejudices.

Given the changes in demographics of consumption relating to traditional media, its likely his type will become more dominant not less. Because these people are the only ones still reading the HS and its ilk as if it means anything.
Solid post.

(Last paragraph makes me depressed)

"He had two stubbies of VB, seventy-five glasses of Melbourne, five schooners of Crown, a saltshaker half-full of gin, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored s**t, Midori, Curacao, Creme de menthe... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of whisky, five boxes of eclairs filled with that disgusting mock creme crap, and a video of James Hird naked singing 'Happy Birthday Mister Chief Football Writer'. Not that he needed all that for one episode, but once you get locked into a serious binge, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the James Hird pr0n. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Hird obsession, and I knew he'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

"But as I watched him leave the Fox studio that night, I knew the truth. There he went, one of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too preserved on pure alcohol to die, and too stupid to shut the **** up."

Gerard "Raoul Duke" Whateley, Fear and Loathing on 360.
You are now my favourite poster.

I'm sitting here not sure whether I should be laughing or just stunned that people are more indignant that the club has been named and shamed. But not one bit concerned that up to 11 players have potentially placed themselves in the same situation as Thomas and Keefe!!!

It's hilarious but then again it's not!!!

It's like watching the Titanic sink but you're worried that the pool might get salt water in it!!

watch "a current affair" (is that still on?) or something similar and you'll see a string of stories about high flying businessmen or whatever who have secret drug taking lives.... risking it all... it's the nature of the beast. I'm not sure why people would think that footballers are going to have some genetic difference from the rest of us that would give them the ability not to make stupid mistakes. Ask Maria Sharapova why she doesn't check a drug list when she knows she is taking something that is improving her performance.... and she's got a turnover of something like 60 million bucks a year. It makes an AFL footballer look like a 5 year old on training wheels. I'd advise you to laugh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read a story about a WA cop who shot a dog because he thought it was being aggressive and the cop wasn't drug tested, even though it is usual to test a cop who has used his weapon....evidently nothing happened to the cop although he was stood down a little later...... for failing to pass a random drug test...

but i'm far more worried about footballers taking recreational drugs on end of season trips....I get chills in the night

Just read a story about a WA cop who shot a dog because he thought it was being aggressive and the cop wasn't drug tested, even though it is usual to test a cop who has used his weapon....evidently nothing happened to the cop although he was stood down a little later...... for failing to pass a random drug test...

but i'm far more worried about footballers taking recreational drugs on end of season trips....I get chills in the night

Dogs on ice, world's gone mad...

just read an article about drug testing of Victorian cops......evidently they are doing it far less than 3 years ago. Now they are doing 7 tests a week ...fast enough to take 100 years to test the whole police force.... I didn't make that up..

anyway, even with that laughingly tiny rate of testing they had 18 positive tests......

cops testing positive for drugs? me worry?...no way but i'm petrified of afl footballers getting high in bali

I would be more upset at the rampant drug use by players after two of their mates gone suspended for PED use when they were taking cocaine. That implies two things, the players are stupid and haven't learnt from that incident and there is a lack of respect by the players towards the President, CEO and Coach will oversee a culture that is sustainable. Leave Mark Robinson alone, he is an idiot and a drunk but he would be negligent not to run this story. I doubt any other journalist would not have gone with it.

I have weak convictions about illicit drug use by players as the illicit drug policy is a PR exercise. But you have to be very dense, have no respect for your club and it's leaders if you continue to dabble in them when you have seen two of your mates suspended because they took cocaine laced with a performance enhancing drug.

So would I. This incident is nothing of the sort

I'd love it if this list was accurate. It would shut all the misguided "we have to sack all the drug takers for the good of the club and its culture" simpletons. If 21 Hawthorn players are tuning out in the off season with some social drug taking then it's clearly not the problem that so many are making it out to be! The whole issue is so completely overblown by the misguided concept that ingesting, inhaling, or injecting a substance automatically turns you into a drug addict who's putting their health at extraordinary risk. It's akin to saying that someone who drinks a beer is an alcoholic. Yes, you can get unlucky and end up with a toxic substance in your system yet, with a drug problem apparently so rampant in the AFL, not a single player has ended up in hospital or o.d'ed or become psychotic. Anyone would think these guys are sitting in a drug den with copious supplies of chemicals the entire off season completely off their face and avoiding sunlight like cotchin avoids september leather. Taking a pill or a line of speed or coke and dancing to sh!t music? Who gives a damn?
As for Robinson, what a cowardly dishonest twat. Tries to make out that it's not a Collingwood story, it's an AFL story, a society problem. If he was truly concerned about drug use in the AFL he wouldn't have even considered naming Collingwood or any other club - doing that has taken the focus completely off the drug issue and onto the betrayal of trust issue. The flog should stick to FOOTBALL stories, not stories about footballers in society. Leave that to people who know how to do it. I mean can you see Robbo fronting up on 4corners? Gigantic puss-infected twat.
Fantastic post, should be repeated many times

Gill said that all AFL admin staff are subjected to the same drug policy.

That's about it. Neil was being dip lo matic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back