List Mgmt. Mark Thompson: Michael Hurley a "natural defender".

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I do think that. We were borderline top 4 this season with a shithouse forward line. T-Bell and Daniher will improve up front to cover the loss of Crameri's 1 goal/game against finals sides, Winderlich playing 15+ games this season will help, Chapman is class and Merrett will also improve. All we need left is a 3rd tall capable of defensive pressure (Hi Kyle Haringham) and we'll be fine.
Well, we disagree..
That forward line looks light-on to me.TBC is not a genuine forward, just a very handy resting ruckman who can clunk it now and then. The unknown is Daniher....a talent like his could explode as early second year and he kicks 60+ but I wouldn't bet on it.
Anyway, better qualified people than us will make the call and we'll see what happens. Still think that getting this call right will determine ho much we improve...get it right and we are very close to contending for top four and potentially a flag.

Well, we disagree..
That forward line looks light-on to me.TBC is not a genuine forward, just a very handy resting ruckman who can clunk it now and then. The unknown is Daniher....a talent like his could explode as early second year and he kicks 60+ but I wouldn't bet on it.
Anyway, better qualified people than us will make the call and we'll see what happens. Still think that getting this call right will determine ho much we improve...get it right and we are very close to contending for top four and potentially a flag.

He kicked 28 goals this year from last year not looking like a forwards rear end. I think he's got the leading patterns right and is a very good set shot, so if he improves again we see 35 goals from him. Then you add in (hopefully) 15 games from Licha and Chapman, which would roughly equate to 65-80 goals between them and an improving Daniher to kick 25 goals (hopefully) and Merrett to do similar and BAM, your 5 main forwards kick 150-170 goals this year.

He kicked 28 goals this year from last year not looking like a forwards rear end. I think he's got the leading patterns right and is a very good set shot, so if he improves again we see 35 goals from him. Then you add in (hopefully) 15 games from Licha and Chapman, which would roughly equate to 65-80 goals between them and an improving Daniher to kick 25 goals (hopefully) and Merrett to do similar and BAM, your 5 main forwards kick 150-170 goals this year.
150-170 goals equates to about 8 goals a game...is that good return from our FIVE main forwards?

Consider that Tippet/Franklin could potentially kick 150 between them and that each of Cloke, Reiwoldt, Roughead and Hawkins (potentially) could kick half that total or more on their own....again, I think this looks light-on for firepower.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

150-170 goals equates to about 8 goals a game...is that good return from our FIVE main forwards?

Consider that Tippet/Franklin could potentially kick 150 between them and that each of Cloke, Reiwoldt, Roughead and Hawkins (potentially) could kick half that total or more on their own....again, I think this looks light-on for firepower.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Yes. When you look at the best forward line in the game this year (Hawthorn), their 5 main forwards contributed 10 goals/game. I'd also back Goddard, Watson, Melksham, Zaharakis, Stanton, Myers etc to kick more goals from the midfield than most others.

Yes. When you look at the best forward line in the game this year (Hawthorn), their 5 main forwards contributed 10 goals/game. I'd also back Goddard, Watson, Melksham, Zaharakis, Stanton, Myers etc to kick more goals from the midfield than most others.
10 a game outscores us by a factor of 25%.....it's a significant difference for the midfield to make up.

10 a game outscores us by a factor of 25%.....it's a significant difference for the midfield to make up.

It's 2 goals to make up. Low numbers like that always have a high factor rating. Not that significant.

It's 2 goals to make up. Low numbers like that always have a high factor rating. Not that significant.
That was the point. Assigning a percentage to that difference gives it context. Two goals is significant in this context. And outscoring an opposition midfield by two goals is no small thing.

I'm not buying your argument anymore than your buying mine. Lets just agree to disagree.

Seems like Bomber intends to make quite a few changes.. which worries me slightly IF supposedly he and Hird were 'on a path' together.. I can understand him wanting to 'stamp his authority' but I worry about changing the structure too much.

I agree that Hurley is a 'natural defender' (blind freddy could probably see that) but that doesn't change the fact that we have more 'natural defenders' than 'natural forwards'.. and if you take Hurley out of the forward line.. who plays up there??

You would literally only have one 'key' forward in Daniher.. I think JD is going to be gun.. but I don't want a 2nd year player being the entire focus of our forward line.

It is a catch 22 that we will argue about until the end of time.. but I think you will find that Hurley must play forward at some point if we are to have success.. or one of our 'lesser' known players comes through and steps up to AFL level.. perhaps Hardingham or Pears can convert..

Seems like Bomber intends to make quite a few changes.. which worries me slightly IF supposedly he and Hird were 'on a path' together.. I can understand him wanting to 'stamp his authority' but I worry about changing the structure too much.

I agree that Hurley is a 'natural defender' (blind freddy could probably see that) but that doesn't change the fact that we have more 'natural defenders' than 'natural forwards'.. and if you take Hurley out of the forward line.. who plays up there??

You would literally only have one 'key' forward in Daniher.. I think JD is going to be gun.. but I don't want a 2nd year player being the entire focus of our forward line.

It is a catch 22 that we will argue about until the end of time.. but I think you will find that Hurley must play forward at some point if we are to have success.. or one of our 'lesser' known players comes through and steps up to AFL level.. perhaps Hardingham or Pears can convert..

Mitch Thorp. I don't understand why we wouldn't. Bomber implied that Hurley will play forward at some point, which is good. The unpredictability of forwardline match-ups during a game will give opposition coaches nightmares.

Pick 55 is a ruckman if we don't believe that Bomber's foxing re: Garlett. If so, Jack Merrett plays all year hopefully. The more he gets a consistent run the better.

If we don't draft a key forward I think we'll have a difficult time making top 4. There are a lot of 'ifs' based on the theory that many of the forwards will jell or improve. A guy like Thorp means we bring in an experienced kpp who's match ready.

I think it is a great opportunity for the club to explore some new strategies. Some will work, some won't but when Hird comes back we'll have a number of options on the table strategy-wise and the potential to come up with a creative new gameplan.

Any chance we could pick up a delisted KPF and use him as a bit of a gap fill until our drafted KPF is ready to dominate? (not that I have looked to see if any would be worth it)

Only real thing I can see is Carlisle playing forward with Ryder and TBell playing predominant minutes in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we could pick up a delisted KPF and use him as a bit of a gap fill until our drafted KPF is ready to dominate? (not that I have looked to see if any would be worth it)

Only real thing I can see is Carlisle playing forward with Ryder and TBell playing predominant minutes in the ruck.

We've also got Joe Daniher up forward with Chapman starting in the forward line also. Carlisle will be there with Hurley down back now and the resting ruckman also.

2 Hurley threads...he's so special ain't he

Carlisle, Hurley and Pears combo is mouth watering. However, Hooker is doing a very good job down back and there really isn't much up forward now Cramdog has nicked off. Unless something falls into our laps regards KPF ready to go or Ryder decides that he'll use his speed, height, leap, hands below his knees, marking ability, long kicking and skillful accurate kicking combination and then add some confidence, desperation and aggression to become one of the best forwards in the game .... while pinch hitting in the ruck and TBell having more time as number 1 ruck ... then yeah Hurls can go down back!!

Carlisle, Hurley and Pears combo is mouth watering. However, Hooker is doing a very good job down back and there really isn't much up forward now Cramdog has nicked off. Unless something falls into our laps regards KPF ready to go or Ryder decides that he'll use his speed, height, leap, hands below his knees, marking ability, long kicking and skillful accurate kicking combination and then add some confidence, desperation and aggression to become one of the best forwards in the game .... while pinch hitting in the ruck and TBell having more time as number 1 ruck ... then yeah Hurls can go down back!!

Hooker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pears

Seriously, Pears' best year was when he finished 3rd in the reverse coleman, Hookers best year he was the best intercept mark in the game. The years between them have all been in Hookers favour. There's no two ways about Hooker being better than Pears. Like there's no two ways about Stanton being better than Bernie Vince

Remove this Banner Ad

Back