Opinion Mark Williams suggests Trent Cotchin should give up Richmond captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it is quite ironic that people start questioning the clubs leadership the first year after the much maligned ex captain retires.
The clubs issue is the current captain is now IMO clearly the best 1% player in the best 22, sheppards/ smothers / tackles and becoming that player has come at the cost of his offensive game.
The club is the worst defensively in the comp ,by a big margin and the leaders need to lead the way in this regard.
Rance is a gun player but he is also a significant factor in slow ball movement from defence and is subject to doing stupid s**t when his game is off.
Jack despite not being in the leadership group has already become to team oriented at the expense of his own game and is far to expressive . Bleeding for the club and exposing the emotions that come with footy , can also be detrimental .
People wont like it because they arent clear best 22 , which I acknowledge, but the players who naturally play in a manner suited to leadership are Maric and Morris.
Outside of those two , naturally the cupboard is bare.
Cotchin has become that type of player but I dont think it came naturally and I am now not sure he could just flick a switch and return to the care free offensive type he once was.

Questioning Trent's captaincy is nothing new.

A lot of views were previously saying "how can you question his captaincy on the back of making the finals".

A more judicious review of his performance is able to be done since an Mark Williams has broached the subject.

Think it is quite ironic that people start questioning the clubs leadership the first year after the much maligned ex captain retires.
The clubs issue is the current captain is now IMO clearly the best 1% player in the best 22, sheppards/ smothers / tackles and becoming that player has come at the cost of his offensive game.
The club is the worst defensively in the comp ,by a big margin and the leaders need to lead the way in this regard.
Rance is a gun player but he is also a significant factor in slow ball movement from defence and is subject to doing stupid s**t when his game is off.
Jack despite not being in the leadership group has already become to team oriented at the expense of his own game and is far to expressive . Bleeding for the club and exposing the emotions that come with footy , can also be detrimental .
People wont like it because they arent clear best 22 , which I acknowledge, but the players who naturally play in a manner suited to leadership are Maric and Morris.
Outside of those two , naturally the cupboard is bare.
Cotchin has become that type of player but I dont think it came naturally and I am now not sure he could just flick a switch and return to the care free offensive type he once was.

Completey agree with, as how many times does he linger near the goal line for kick in, instead of providing a target to kick too? Or trying to slow down the kick after win back the ball, which makes the kicker not look for a target.

Completey agree with, as how many times does he linger near the goal line for kick in, instead of providing a target to kick too? Or trying to slow down the kick after win back the ball, which makes the kicker not look for a target.

Spot on, I notice this myself every week. Just doesn't provide an option or even a decoy to drag an opponent away. Big factor in our poor kick in strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no way, he's probably gone because he's not adding any special value. Players might love him, but he doesn't come across as particularly impressive...

Had a great past career and should gracefully bow out IMO .
He was always a great man manager and motivator. I think development coach needs to be a more technical role.

Yeah I wonder if he had the balls to raise it when he was the club

I think I read in an article that he had raised the issue internally.....

no way, he's probably gone because he's not adding any special value. Players might love him, but he doesn't come across as particularly impressive...

Indeed.
People bag our lack of development and bag our dumping the development coach:drunk:

He was doomed once it became obvious that he had no bearing on where his daughters partner played.

Doubt there is a better qualified player to captain than Cotch. The real question is woukd his game improve enough to make it worth giving the captaincy to a lesser captain.
Cotchin provides stuff all as captain so we could make the waterboy captain and we still win if it means cotchin becomes a better player. Right now he is close to the worst captain on both leadership and performance so something needs to change.

It's funny everything about our team was better up to 2013.
Captain ,leadership ,game plan ,coaching staff etc it all just evaporated . Did we become complacent or our admin and fd couldn't see or prepare or take us for the next step ?
Dogs and Saints sacked their coaches and haven't missed a beat.
It will be interesting to see how Cotchin goes next year with a new fd and tiny Italian bodyguard if he retains the job.
I still feel his downfall was the confidence lost due to being surrounded by spuds which offered him bugger all support

Cotchin provides stuff all as captain so we could make the waterboy captain and we still win if it means cotchin becomes a better player. Right now he is close to the worst captain on both leadership and performance so something needs to change.
how many other captains were leading the club b&f untill suffering injury ?
How many other captains suffered a broken far less played within a fortnight ?
How many other captains checked out of hospital and played within 48 hours ?
How many will finish top 3 in their club b&f ?
How many were the only player at their club in the top 60 tacklers in the comp ?

He plays in a midfield that has absolutely no other defensive pressure.

Trent is a gun player but to me has played like he's carrying the world on his back.

I honestly think changing captains would be good for him and also the club.

None of the other options are perfect but neither is Trent. The other options include - Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin.

Deledio we missed the boat the last time. Reckon if he was captain and we were training up Trent the handover would have been great. Now is too old and has too many injuries for this position. Shame.

Jack is feisty and demanding, although his body language is the only thing holding him back from the top spot. He has matured, has a presence and plays a position (if the coach ever wakes up) that could be perfect for instructions to be given. He's known as a larrikin but has calmed down that aspect. Would the leadership change that body language aspect?

Rance leads from the front and that quality is encouraging because every big game, he's there and performing and has that follow me aspect. He too is a larrikin and a clown off the field would the captaincy alter that aspect? He also has some distractions off field in terms of his personal life that has me question if he's right for the position. The notion that football isn't the be all and end all type thing.

Grimes was talked about as a young leader and marshals the backline pretty well. I just don't trust him to be that guy to do it every week.

Vlastuin when drafted had all the leadership qualities. Has stagnated. Could he thrive with leadership? Or will it be too much. Too many questions and reckon we need to have him focus on being a midfielder before anything.

My choice would be Jack Riewoldt. Sure his body language on occasions is poor as he gets frustrated, but it's all about the heart on the sleeve with him. I stress though he needs to play as a forward full time for it to work. One thing with Jack is he has matured off field, he will bring passion to the role and wouldn't allow under performing to happen. I also believe he's the type of character that the captaincy wouldn't drag him down, he'd wear it as a badge of honour and always look to do something. An extrovert which to me for us is important and he can be a match winner.

Walker was judged by the players to be the best captain. I still scratch my head at that, but it puts more emphasis that Jack could be great. He's smarter than Walker, does more in a game than Walker but plays or can play that same role. He's a gun is Jack and could grow with responsibilities. He seems to flourish when that happens.

Trent is a gun player but to me has played like he's carrying the world on his back.

I honestly think changing captains would be good for him and also the club.

None of the other options are perfect but neither is Trent. The other options include - Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin.

Deledio we missed the boat the last time. Reckon if he was captain and we were training up Trent the handover would have been great. Now is too old and has too many injuries for this position. Shame.

Jack is feisty and demanding, although his body language is the only thing holding him back from the top spot. He has matured, has a presence and plays a position (if the coach ever wakes up) that could be perfect for instructions to be given. He's known as a larrikin but has calmed down that aspect. Would the leadership change that body language aspect?

Rance leads from the front and that quality is encouraging because every big game, he's there and performing and has that follow me aspect. He too is a larrikin and a clown off the field would the captaincy alter that aspect? He also has some distractions off field in terms of his personal life that has me question if he's right for the position. The notion that football isn't the be all and end all type thing.

Grimes was talked about as a young leader and marshals the backline pretty well. I just don't trust him to be that guy to do it every week.

Vlastuin when drafted had all the leadership qualities. Has stagnated. Could he thrive with leadership? Or will it be too much. Too many questions and reckon we need to have him focus on being a midfielder before anything.

My choice would be Jack Riewoldt. Sure his body language on occasions is poor as he gets frustrated, but it's all about the heart on the sleeve with him. I stress though he needs to play as a forward full time for it to work. One thing with Jack is he has matured off field, he will bring passion to the role and wouldn't allow under performing to happen. I also believe he's the type of character that the captaincy wouldn't drag him down, he'd wear it as a badge of honour and always look to do something. An extrovert which to me for us is important and he can be a match winner.

Walker was judged by the players to be the best captain. I still scratch my head at that, but it puts more emphasis that Jack could be great. He's smarter than Walker, does more in a game than Walker but plays or can play that same role. He's a gun is Jack and could grow with responsibilities. He seems to flourish when that happens.

You've summed it up perfectly and won me over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back