Opinion Mark Williams suggests Trent Cotchin should give up Richmond captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent is a gun player but to me has played like he's carrying the world on his back.

I honestly think changing captains would be good for him and also the club.

None of the other options are perfect but neither is Trent. The other options include - Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin.

Deledio we missed the boat the last time. Reckon if he was captain and we were training up Trent the handover would have been great. Now is too old and has too many injuries for this position. Shame.

Jack is feisty and demanding, although his body language is the only thing holding him back from the top spot. He has matured, has a presence and plays a position (if the coach ever wakes up) that could be perfect for instructions to be given. He's known as a larrikin but has calmed down that aspect. Would the leadership change that body language aspect?

Rance leads from the front and that quality is encouraging because every big game, he's there and performing and has that follow me aspect. He too is a larrikin and a clown off the field would the captaincy alter that aspect? He also has some distractions off field in terms of his personal life that has me question if he's right for the position. The notion that football isn't the be all and end all type thing.

Grimes was talked about as a young leader and marshals the backline pretty well. I just don't trust him to be that guy to do it every week.

Vlastuin when drafted had all the leadership qualities. Has stagnated. Could he thrive with leadership? Or will it be too much. Too many questions and reckon we need to have him focus on being a midfielder before anything.

My choice would be Jack Riewoldt. Sure his body language on occasions is poor as he gets frustrated, but it's all about the heart on the sleeve with him. I stress though he needs to play as a forward full time for it to work. One thing with Jack is he has matured off field, he will bring passion to the role and wouldn't allow under performing to happen. I also believe he's the type of character that the captaincy wouldn't drag him down, he'd wear it as a badge of honour and always look to do something. An extrovert which to me for us is important and he can be a match winner.

Walker was judged by the players to be the best captain. I still scratch my head at that, but it puts more emphasis that Jack could be great. He's smarter than Walker, does more in a game than Walker but plays or can play that same role. He's a gun is Jack and could grow with responsibilities. He seems to flourish when that happens.

Agreeing with you twice in one day... Think I'm gunna be sick :( ;)

What are the actual chances he does lose the captaincy ?

When Balmey went to Geelong they gave it to Harley who was a spud, but then they won 2 flags under him. Garry Ablett was not even considered

I think Trent would get back to his 2012 brownlow winning form if it was changed around

What are the actual chances he does lose the captaincy ?

I think its likely, 70% chance

Leadership is nonexistent at the club, and balme has pulled this trigger before.

My money is the players will lose the right to pick their own leadership group and the captain

Leadership is nonexistent at the club, and balme has pulled this trigger before.

My money is the players will lose the right to pick their own leadership group and the captain
hadnt finised my post :oops:

They need to lose that right. Otherwise they will continue to vote Cotchin cause it's easy.

Balme will review it all I think it's 50/50 though.

They need to lose that right. Otherwise they will continue to vote Cotchin cause it's easy.

Balme will review it all I think it's 50/50 though.

Look at the way they play, they voted for him yet their barely back him up on field

A great leader with noone following him isn't a leader, he's just a bloke taking a walk by himself

Players have lost the right to pick their leaders

I would much rather Cotchin get closer to his 2012 form than the captaincy. Would love to see Riewoldt get it and Cotch focus on his own game.
This, I think the overall title of 'captain' is pretty overrated - Cotch can remain in the leadership and have much the same influence without the obvious burden of the role and public expectation.

Reiwoldt will get it. Will cherrish it. Will straighten him right up. Speaks brilliantly on 360.
Cotch just needs to go back to winning the hard pill and kicking it long. Receiving the ball running forward and not just at the back and then chipping.
Will be great for both players.

Reiwoldt will get it. Will cherrish it. Will straighten him right up. Speaks brilliantly on 360.
Cotch just needs to go back to winning the hard pill and kicking it long. Receiving the ball running forward and not just at the back and then chipping.

I'm generally against co captains but in Richmond's case maybe Rance and Reiwoldt would work.

Jack is passionate about Richmond and good with the media. He would take the off field pressure from Rance who is more focussed on life balance. On field you would have a captain at both ends of the ground. They are both capable of inspirational footy and both of them working together leading the younger players would provide a great balance.

Trent is a gun player but to me has played like he's carrying the world on his back.

None of the other options are perfect but neither is Trent. The other options include - Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin.

Deledio we missed the boat the last time. Reckon if he was captain and we were training up Trent the handover would have been great. Now is too old and has too many injuries for this position. Shame.

Jack is feisty and demanding, although his body language is the only thing holding him back from the top spot. He has matured, has a presence and plays a position (if the coach ever wakes up) that could be perfect for instructions to be given. He's known as a larrikin but has calmed down that aspect. Would the leadership change that body language aspect?

Rance leads from the front and that quality is encouraging because every big game, he's there and performing and has that follow me aspect. He too is a larrikin and a clown off the field would the captaincy alter that aspect? He also has some distractions off field in terms of his personal life that has me question if he's right for the position. The notion that football isn't the be all and end all type thing.

Grimes was talked about as a young leader and marshals the backline pretty well. I just don't trust him to be that guy to do it every week.

Vlastuin when drafted had all the leadership qualities. Has stagnated. Could he thrive with leadership? Or will it be too much. Too many questions and reckon we need to have him focus on being a midfielder before anything.

My choice would be Jack Riewoldt. Sure his body language on occasions is poor as he gets frustrated, but it's all about the heart on the sleeve with him. I stress though he needs to play as a forward full time for it to work. One thing with Jack is he has matured off field, he will bring passion to the role and wouldn't allow under performing to happen. I also believe he's the type of character that the captaincy wouldn't drag him down, he'd wear it as a badge of honour and always look to do something. An extrovert which to me for us is important and he can be a match winner.

Walker was judged by the players to be the best captain. I still scratch my head at that, but it puts more emphasis that Jack could be great. He's smarter than Walker, does more in a game than Walker but plays or can play that same role. He's a gun is Jack and could grow with responsibilities. He seems to flourish when that happens.

I think Walker was picked by Walsh, not the players. Jack stands up when it matters much more than Walker does as well , I've seen crows games where they are struggling and he goes missing more than Cotch ever does (yet gets more criticism).

I still think Jack is immature for the role but who knows how he would go?, I always thought Alex rance, but you have a point about the clownish side of him, would the players take him less seriously?

Chance Prestia may be a future captain as well, but not next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm generally against co captains but in Richmond's case maybe Rance and Reiwoldt would work.

Jack is passionate about Richmond and good with the media. He would take the off field pressure from Rance who is more focussed on life balance. On field you would have a captain at both ends of the ground. They are both capable of inspirational footy and both of them working together leading the younger players would provide a great balance.
I used to think this too, but now I disagree after watching Bulldogs' on-field leadership this year.

Both Riewoldt and Rance are quite passionate players and set a good example on the field as players, but I am not sure that their type of passion will do well with the development of the youth as captains. You'd want to go with a passionate and empathetic player that not only has a passion for their club, but a passion for their teammates too. I don't see them as empathetic enough to take the mantle of captaincy. Under their leadership, some of the youth may actually go into their shells rather than blossom. This is quite different to the environment that the Bulldogs' leadership group along with their coach have formed. That is what you want to go for.

If the club invests in on-field leadership training and teaches Riewoldt and Rance the qualities of a captain and leader, then I may agree either of them being captain.

If I would change captains (which I think needs to happen without trying to slight Cotchin), I would go with Brett Deledio regardless of his injury status. He is the guy that I think can help the club build great on-field leadership with his passion and experience at the club and help the youth settle in to the club environment on and off the field.

many people thinnk its Lids/Jack fed up with the game plan yet Cotch defends dimma...who knows haha
I actually think it's the whole team that doesn't agree with the gameplan. There is no doubt however that Cotch is very professional, good in some cases but drives people (fans) up the wall in other cases, he will never say anything that doesn't toe the club line. I love him but I'd love to see Cotch be a little spontaneous and actually tell us what he's really thinking.

I used to think this too, but now I disagree after watching Bulldogs' on-field leadership this year.

Both Riewoldt and Rance are quite passionate players and set a good example on the field as players, but I am not sure that their type of passion will do well with the development of the youth as captains. You'd want to go with a passionate and empathetic player that not only has a passion for their club, but a passion for their teammates too. I don't see them as empathetic enough to take the mantle of captaincy. Under their leadership, some of the youth may actually go into their shells rather than blossom. This is quite different to the environment that the Bulldogs' leadership group along with their coach have formed. That is what you want to go for.

If the club invests in on-field leadership training and teaches Riewoldt and Rance the qualities of a captain and leader, then I may agree either of them being captain.

If I would change captains (which I think needs to happen without trying to slight Cotchin), I would go with Brett Deledio regardless of his injury status. He is the guy that I think can help the club build great on-field leadership with his passion and experience at the club and help the youth settle in to the club environment on and off the field.

I think you're right. Was just a left field option. As a sole captain Deledio is my pick as well.

Would love to see Lids as Captain during the next couple of years. Better late than never.

THE Bulldogs have plenty of on-field leaders - we have two. That's the difference.

But look at the mess the Hawks, Swans and Bulldogs got into when they changed captains.

Surely Jack has been punished long enough for revealing we copy the Hawthorn game plan.

Sureky Jack has been punished long enough for revealing we copy the Hawthorn game plan.

Whether or not Jack would be the best captain is one thing.

But I reckon he's the one who would value it the most and carry it with the most pride and as a badge of honour.

I reckon Cotch cops a lot of unfair criticism for his captaincy. But all the same, I'm up for this. I'd be giving the captaincy to Lids with a long term view of developing Prestia and Vlaustin as future captains. :smilecat:

With Prestia in to do more of the inside work, releasing Cotch to be more outside/inside and easing the captaincy burden, Cotch will be unstoppable. :smilecat:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back