Mark Williams!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Fremantle have been talking to current Port coach Mark Williams (as he comes out of contract this year) and have offered him $850,000 a year (not sure how long for tho, i missed what they said) to come and coach the Dockers!

Port offered Mark Williams a contract for two years, and has declined saying he wants more money and a three year deal. His manager Ricky Nixon has also put a deadline to Port on when to get a new contract offer to the table.

It is a fairly strong possibility he could be your coach next year!

could be worse

Macca it could be worse I suppose.He may be the goods I don't know.He would not be in my list of could be's.
It seems that that is the figure that they all seem to be given.They being Eade,Wallace andd the rest.
I believe that because of the debacle over the sacking of Damian Drum we need to give plenty,probably more than the succesful candidate is worth.
On a positive side he may bring some good players with him.

Well I suppose we could do worse.
But seriously how good is this guy, he has the list and merely right time right place senario.

Wallace is a master, we MUST get this guy.Throw as much money at him as we possibly can.
Pagan and Eade come in second, if these coaches cant be secured, we keep allan as the caretaker untill they come out of contract.

Sabre,

Hands off Wallace!! :mad: .... I'm tellin ya ..get Tony Shaw! Trust me on this one man! ;)

Seriously though, on a radio station in Melbourne (3AW), a bloke who's usually spot on with these kind of rumours said that Eade already has his bags packed for Freo.... make of it what you will.

hey macca,

You don't seem too angry at the news that Williams might leave.... not happy with the job he's doing? Who do ya reckon would replace him if Freo snared him?

Originally posted by sabre_ac
Well I suppose we could do worse.
But seriously how good is this guy, he has the list and merely right time right place senario.

Wallace is a master, we MUST get this guy.Throw as much money at him as we possibly can.
Pagan and Eade come in second, if these coaches cant be secured, we keep allan as the caretaker untill they come out of contract.
Dunno why you think Wallace is so good. has had one of the best lists in the league with minimal success, not even a GF appearance.

Mark Williams is a fantastic coach. James Hird rates him as one of his biggest influence on how he plays today. He is a thinker and willing to try new ideas.
Look what he has done at Port...made the finals in year 1 of his coaching reign, and this year port has been one of the best sides of the year.

You could do alot worse than mark williams!

Originally posted by Macca19

Dunno why you think Wallace is so good. has had one of the best lists in the league with minimal success, not even a GF appearance.

Big call, Macca. Very suprising, because most people actually rate him that highly because they believe we've had one the weakest lists in the league, and he's managed to perform miracles with it. I'm sitting on the fence with it - we've got 6 stars in Grant/ West/ Johnson/ Darcy/ Smith/ Brown, which would get a lot of teams into grand finals, but the quality falls away so quickly after that, where CROFT (!) is regarded as our seventh best player.... i.e. not enough 'second tier players to challenge for the premiership, and a good effort and quality coaching to get that kind of list into the finals 5 years in a row. I could give you probably 20 names that have been on our list over those years, who wouldn't have gotten close to being on not even one other AFL senior list. But he's changing that now and adapting quite well ..... which is another quality which Freo must see in him. For runs on the board though, you couldn't go past Pagan, which is why i find alot of Freo supporters dismissing him so quickly in comparison to Wallace quite suprising.

I'm sure what Freo sees in him, is not only as a coach (and the best tactician in the league by far :p), but as a 'seller' or marketer. His handling of the media is second to none, and that adds a hell of a lot to a club- and would do wonders to a team of Freo's ilk. In our case, he has singlehandedly added a professionalism to the Bulldogs, of which we could have only dreamed of before 96. he took a list from 15th (effectively last since Fitzroy merged later that year), to within two points of a Grand final, in less than a season - and unlike Eade, Daniher and others - has kept them there. he has 'MADE' players in Powell and Montgomery, who were little more than VFL hacks before Wallace got to them, and rejuvinated careers in Liberatore and Romero, and extracts every last ounce of skill and emotion out of most of the players.

How he would go at Freo? I don't know - you don't have the well known 'stars' that he's used fairly effectively with us, but in contrast, you've got a team brimming with young talent - Which he also loves. But he's shown that he loyal to the Bulldogs (Saints offered him close to $650000 last year), saying he wants to finish what he started -a premiership for the Western Bulldogs. Our official complaint today to Freo hopefully gives you guys that message -Look elsewhere! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back