Strategy Marketing, Sales, Communication & Media Structure & Strategies

Workingclass

Senior List
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There has been a noticeable drop in the quality of our social media over the last couple of seasons. Social media was something we were knocking out of the park a few years ago, so this sounds like a good change for us.

Not saying anything negative about the guy who has left us, he had an incredibly tough job to polish an increasingly stinky turd.
It's noticeable that Shirley doesn't appear to be responsible for digital like his predecessor. Agreed on the social media stuff, but I also think alot of the staff who worked in the team over the years have moved on (judging purely on the staff list on the club website).
I understood Shirley to be behind the original We Are Port Adelaide membership campaign. Does that ring a bell for anyone? Hopefully he can guide the club back to its roots and less off the shelf sports marketing.

Head of Marketing
Job No: PAFC28

Established in 1870, the Port Adelaide Football Club is one of Australia's leading sporting organisations with a proud, successful history in both the AFL and SANFL competitions.
An exciting opportunity has emerged for an experienced Marketer to join the Club.
The Head of Marketing is a key leadership role within the Consumer Business and Marketing team with a clear purpose for fan growth and engagement across the Port Adelaide Football Club. Working primarily with various internal and external stakeholders, the role will lead, develop and drive the implementation of annual marketing plans that support the commercial objectives of the club.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, Consumer Business & Marketing, the successful candidate will work across the Club’s consumer and commercial business teams supporting all reporting, data and decision-making processes. This is a hands-on, collaborative role where you will work with all departments in order to elevate data and insights.

Key responsibilities include:
  • Leading the Club’s Marketing and Brand strategies
  • Supporting key revenue generating workstreams
  • Identifying fan and market growth opportunities
  • Managing & overseeing the Creative Services function of the Club

To succeed in this role, you will have:
  • A tertiary qualification in Marketing or similar
  • 7-10 years of experience in the sports sector across marketing, game development, media, commercial and strategy
  • Significant experience successfully building and managing internal and external major stakeholder relationships
  • Understanding of developments in the sports world
  • A team first attitude with the ability to adapt within a highly dynamic environment

Applications are invited from experienced Marketers who possess highly developed leadership skills with great stakeholder management skills, the ability to forge relationships internally and externally and can demonstrate high collaboration skills.

Flexibility and availability to work outside of standard working hours including game days, club events and some interstate travel is a requirement of the role.
In return, the Port Adelaide Football Club offers an exciting and innovative culture to work in with attractive benefits and opportunities.

We are seeking a swift recruitment, so please send your application to Kate Siemionow, HR Advisor at https://portadelaidefc-external.applynow.net.au/jobs/PAFC28 by Friday 15 November 2019.

Head of Marketing
Job No: PAFC28

Established in 1870, the Port Adelaide Football Club is one of Australia's leading sporting organisations with a proud, successful history in both the AFL and SANFL competitions.
An exciting opportunity has emerged for an experienced Marketer to join the Club.
The Head of Marketing is a key leadership role within the Consumer Business and Marketing team with a clear purpose for fan growth and engagement across the Port Adelaide Football Club. Working primarily with various internal and external stakeholders, the role will lead, develop and drive the implementation of annual marketing plans that support the commercial objectives of the club.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, Consumer Business & Marketing, the successful candidate will work across the Club’s consumer and commercial business teams supporting all reporting, data and decision-making processes. This is a hands-on, collaborative role where you will work with all departments in order to elevate data and insights.

• 7-10 years of experience in the sports sector across marketing, game development, media, commercial and strategy
  • Significant experience successfully building and managing internal and external major stakeholder relationships
  • A team first attitude with the ability to adapt within a highly dynamic environment

Applications are invited from experienced Marketers who possess highly developed leadership skills with great stakeholder management skills, the ability to forge relationships internally and externally and can demonstrate high collaboration skills.

Flexibility and availability to work outside of standard working hours including game days, club events and some interstate travel is a requirement of the role.
In return, the Port Adelaide Football Club offers an exciting and innovative culture to work in with attractive benefits and opportunities.

We are seeking a swift recruitment, so please send your application to Kate Siemionow, HR Advisor at https://portadelaidefc-external.applynow.net.au/jobs/PAFC28 by Friday 15 November 2019.

This would be my dream job :)

Marketing Coordinator
Job No: PAFC29

An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced (driven & energetic) Marketing Coordinator to join our fun and innovative Marketing team. Reporting to the Head of Marketing, the Marketing Coordinator will also support the consistent high-level delivery of the Port Adelaide brand through multiple channels.

• Marketing & Brand Coordination
  • Promotion & Campaign development
  • Digital Integration
  • Supporting the Creative Services function

Highly developed communication and organisational skills are essential along with advanced skills using the Microsoft Office Suite. Tertiary qualifications in marketing will be highly regarded. This role requires someone with high energy and the ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external clients.

Flexibility and availability to work outside of standard working hours including game days, club events is a requirement of the role.

We are seeking a swift recruitment, so please send your application to Kate Siemionow, HR Advisor at https://portadelaidefc-external.applynow.net.au/jobs/PAFC29 by Friday 15 November 2019.

Marketing Coordinator
Job No: PAFC29

An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced (driven & energetic) Marketing Coordinator to join our fun and innovative Marketing team. Reporting to the Head of Marketing, the Marketing Coordinator will also support the consistent high-level delivery of the Port Adelaide brand through multiple channels.

• Marketing & Brand Coordination
  • Promotion & Campaign development
  • Digital Integration
  • Supporting the Creative Services function

Highly developed communication and organisational skills are essential along with advanced skills using the Microsoft Office Suite. Tertiary qualifications in marketing will be highly regarded. This role requires someone with high energy and the ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external clients.

Flexibility and availability to work outside of standard working hours including game days, club events is a requirement of the role.

We are seeking a swift recruitment, so please send your application to Kate Siemionow, HR Advisor at https://portadelaidefc-external.applynow.net.au/jobs/PAFC29 by Friday 15 November 2019.

Here's where the problem is.

PAFC's marketing team is neither fun nor innovative. These were the guys who completely ripped off Liverpool's ad and thought no one would either care or notice.

"Just so you know, the people who talk that way think that monkeys can do this. They take all this monkey crap and stick it in a briefcase, completely unaware that their success depends on something more than shoeshine. You are the product. You, feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here's where the problem is.

PAFC's marketing team is neither fun nor innovative. These were the guys who completely ripped off Liverpool's ad and thought no one would either care or notice.

"Just so you know, the people who talk that way think that monkeys can do this. They take all this monkey crap and stick it in a briefcase, completely unaware that their success depends on something more than shoeshine. You are the product. You, feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."

Liverpool’s add ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liverpool’s add ?

The membership ad at the start of this year. The one where it said s**t like 'This is our home...these our fans' They ripped it straight from a real creative agency because they don't have any ideas themselves, and they pass it off as innovation?

Here's how I would do a membership ad.

EXT. ADELAIDE OVAL, NIGHT: A young girl is sitting in the stands. The guitar/drum riff of NTUA starts up...dun dun dun da da da da da da. With each pulse, a flash of an epic moment from the 2019 season flash across the screen. She stands up, puts her scarf over her head, and starts to sing 'We could live, for a thousand years...'

A clip of Xavier Duursma's bow and arrow celebration is played, and another voice joins with the girl - when the camera shifts back to the stands, we see that her older brother has joined in '...but if I hurt you, I'll make wine from your tears...'

Cut to images from the draft with Picks 12 and 18 getting their jumpers...another two voices join in: 'I told you, that we could fly...' the camera cuts back to show the two kids standing with their parents singing next to them. 'Cause we all have wings...but some of us don't know why...'

A montage of big grabs from the 2019 season. Now more voices have joined in - that section of the stand is now full of people. 'I...I was standing...'

The camera slowly pulls back, and starts to move up into the air. The whole stand of people are chanting. '...you were there...two worlds collided...' We see that their are players on the field...a game is about to begin.

The camera is now looking down on Adelaide Oval - it's filled with people chanting:

'...and they could never tear us apart!'.

New logo. Siren sounds.

Done.

Kind of like this, but instead of being a direct rip off, it's used for inspiration:

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
The membership ad at the start of this year. The one where it said s**t like 'This is our home...these our fans' They ripped it straight from a real creative agency because they don't have any ideas themselves, and they pass it off as innovation?

EXT. ADELAIDE OVAL, NIGHT: A young girl is sitting in the stands. The guitar/drum riff of NTUA starts up...dun dun dun da da da da da da. With each pulse, a flash of an epic moment from the 2019 season flash across the screen. She stands up, puts her scarf over her head, and starts to sing 'We could live, for a thousand years...'

A clip of Xavier Duursma's bow and arrow celebration is played, and another voice joins with the girl - when the camera shifts back to the stands, we see that her older brother has joined in '...but if I hurt you, I'll make wine from your tears...'

Cut to images from the draft with Picks 12 and 18 getting their jumpers...another two voices join in: 'I told you, that we could fly...' the camera cuts back to show the two kids standing with their parents singing next to them. 'Cause we all have wings...but some of us don't know why...'

A montage of big grabs from the 2019 season. Now more voices have joined in - that section of the stand is now full of people. 'I...I was standing...'

The camera slowly pulls back, and starts to move up into the air. The whole stand of people are chanting. '...you were there...two worlds collided...' We see that their are players on the field...a game is about to begin.

The camera is now looking down on Adelaide Oval - it's filled with people chanting:

New logo. Siren sounds.

Done.

Kind of like this, but instead of being a direct rip off, it's used for inspiration:

Ok. You're on the short list for interviews.
Straight after Jordan Hincklebergely.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
It's noticeable that Shirley doesn't appear to be responsible for digital like his predecessor. Agreed on the social media stuff, but I also think alot of the staff who worked in the team over the years have moved on (judging purely on the staff list on the club website).
I understood Shirley to be behind the original We Are Port Adelaide membership campaign. Does that ring a bell for anyone? Hopefully he can guide the club back to its roots and less off the shelf sports marketing.
It does. I recall reading it was his idea to put all the teal t-shirts on the seats at AO.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm now confused.
Are we members, supporters, fans or consumers?
(I'm not really confused - they are)

Why shouldn't the job be fun? Success is fun.
If you are not factoring in family, friends, finances, fitness, freedom and fun into very decision you make I think you are doing it wrong.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I'm now confused.
Are we members, supporters, fans or consumers?
(I'm not really confused - they are)

Why shouldn't the job be fun? Success is fun.
If you are not factoring in family, friends, finances, fitness, freedom and fun into very decision you make I think you are doing it wrong.

You and I are either customers, or campaigners - or both.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

New logo. Siren sounds.

Done.

They do the never walk alone thing like we do NTUA if I’m not mistaken so there’s another rip off.

Head of Marketing
Job No: PAFC33

• 5 + years of experience in leading marketing, digital and content strategies across high profile brands

We are seeking a swift recruitment, so please send your application to Kate Siemionow, HR Advisor at https://portadelaidefc-external.applynow.net.au/jobs/PAFC33 by Friday 24 January 2020.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots

EXT. ADELAIDE OVAL, NIGHT: A young girl is sitting in the stands. The guitar/drum riff of NTUA starts up...dun dun dun da da da da da da. With each pulse, a flash of an epic moment from the 2019 season flash across the screen.
Ad cancelled due to inability to find appropriate moment.

Back