Markfs Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-05/comment-can-geoff-walsh-save-bucks

Peter Ryan's article reminds me about why I prefer strippers to burlesque dancers. At least with strippers, you actually end up seeing what you wanted to see. I know that some cultured folk prefer the burlesque dancer because they love the tease. I like to get to the point.

So let's see what Ryan says about Buckley. I think the following are the relevant quotes that say something ......anything....although there's a lot of tease involved....

"His ability to trust those around him in their roles must become the next extension of his coaching career."

"Buckley's recent trip to the United States will have helped his understanding that coaches can't do everything and that relationships, while important, can't be forced."

"And he understands the battles Buckley has had at times, some of his own doing, some from circumstance, some from the pressure of expectations that could never be met as one successful era fades, and another must be built."

So Buckley doesnt always trust his assistant coaches and doesnt appear to delegate at times. It seems that he tries to "force" relationships, although I'm unsure what that really means. It also seems that many of the battles that Buckley has had, have been initiated by him.

Well that's quite an indictment. If Ryan is providing a true snapshot of Buckley's coaching, then it's doubtful that he'll be in the job in 2018, especially considering that Buckley has already had 5 years to address these issues. If he cant delegate by now, he wont change in a year. If he cant establish a positive working relationship with players, coaches or administrators by now, he wont be changing in a year. Geoff Walsh isnt a magician.

But is Peter being a bit of a burlesque dancer? A bit of tease here...a bit of tease there...... hint hint... wink wink.... do we come away from reading his column with an idea that we've actually read something of substance or is it just a bit of smoke and mirrors?

Cha-ching.... I think the burlesque dancer has just been paid and has left the building...he'll be back tomorrow with some more tease

Gee....I'm writing a story about the footballing capabilities of the coaches....

Now let me see..... I need to find a random photo of one of the coaches playing footy...

Let me just pick one out randomly from a bunch of pics over there on the floor...

14880-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

now where did i put my hatchet...

I know we put too much importance on Collingwood but most of us in this forum are Collingwood fans so that's a pretty good reason.

I dont know what's Ronan Connolly excuse.....
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ated-the-years-headlines-20161221-gtg1aj.html

He lists the 10 top footy people of 2016 and manages to squeeze 3 Collingwood people in.

Moana Hope is good choice. I remember that I was listening to SEN radio a couple of weeks back and the microphone operator was introducing the show and he said that Moana Hope was on the program. That was it. No other description. He didnt refer to her an a female footballer or Collingwood entity. Her name was enough. You hardly get that in Olympic sport unless your a Stephanie Rice. For Mo to actually achieve that in such a short time frame is pretty amazing.

You have to ask why Eddie was on the list. I dont think he was the only President to make a mistake during the course of the year. Maybe its because I dont live in Melbourne and I dont see the effect that he has on the scene. Maybe journalists like Ronan are just a little too fixated on Eddie.

It's interesting that Journos are always coy about putting one of their own on a list like this. That eternal drunk, Mark Robinson, had considerable effect during the year with his "expose" about the alleged drug taking at the Pies. If you're going to put Eddie on the list for his minute of madness about Caroline Wilson, then surely you can put Caroline on the list too for her efforts to win next year's Oscar for her portrayal of an innocent bystander. Of course Gary Lyon is in the media.....isn't he? I'm not sure if he qualifies or maybe he's just an entertainer. So difficult to judge these days.

And as for putting Nathan Buckley on the list because he's a coach under pressure, well excuse me umpire but arent there a few coaches in that position? Surely the long running train wreck of Justin Leppitch was far more newsworthy or had greater importance than the pressure on buckley. Brisbane ended up getting an AFL mini-resuscitation at the end of the year. Isnt that significant enough for Ronan?

It always surprises me that no one mentions Chris Scott who was lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time to rope in the spoils from the previous coach's efforts. But what he done since then? You might argue that he isnt under the same pressure as Buckley but I would argue that a lot of that might be due to benevolent way that journalists have dealt with him. Just as an aside, I Found Chris to be far less certain of his thinking than Buckley during the course of their weekly visits to 360. Often I felt that he was actually deferring to Buckley's clarity of thought. Not that I'm saying that Chris Scott is ever going to be in the top 10 people of any year.

Anyway, it's nice to know that Ronan is keeping his focus on the club that matters.

I opened the news.com site and there was something about cleveland browns winning a game ....yeh i know this isnt about the Pies but I need to have a mini vent...

cleveland browns? ...why should we care? my understanding of the various US states is that cleveland is place where losers go to live....so its no surprise if they lost a lot.

As for browns? browns? is that referring to skid marks? cleveland skid marks would have a better zing about it in the media...

geez...merry christmas

The James Hird issue is raising questions AGAIN on how intrusive the media is on those involved in the industry...... or in Hird's case, on those who used to be involved in the industry.

I was told by my son that Hird had been rushed to hospital on the weekend and as I was sitting in front of a computer at the time, I logged into the news.com.au trash site because I knew they would have all the goss......

There was some confusing stuff about various Hirds being transported between hospitals deep into the night and a few innuendos about James' mental state. The majority of the story seemed to be a short summary of Hird's career - particularly his decline in the last few years.

The ABC site was even more curious. A statement that he went to hospital and then the summary.

At least the Murdoch site tried to "develop" a story. Maybe it was still too early for the journalists to come up with something. I suppose at times like these, you just have to get the newsflash in and then hope that some family member gets cornered in the back lane of the hospital or makes a stupid mistake of trying to enter the hospital through the front door......but at the time I was reading the story, there was zilch ...nada.... black hole.

You can really feel for the media at times like these. The ABC site just cut and pasted the old Hird career summary to add a bit of volume to the startling news flash but Murdoch wouldnt stand for such incompetence from his journalists...... something needed to be made up..... it was a time for a journalist to show a bit of leadership and spin a story...... friends had been worried for James for some time....Hird had been stoic in recent months even though his marriage was on the rocks and his hair was refusing to part in the required manner...

We should also remember that its chrissie holidays and the old hands are away on holidays. Mark Robinson is atttending a beer festival in his hotel room somewhere overseas. Caroline Wilson is having her annual repair work done to maintain her looks for her media work this year... Peter Ryan was still around of course. His family had gone on holidays and forgotten to tell him. This is the 10th straight chrissie holidays that the same old trick had worked...

Fortunately, a few days have gone by. The journos have managed to cobble together a few bits of information so that they can keep the updates about Hird updated.... The stragglers have come back from Portsea and are now secretly inhabiting the s-bend of the Hird toilet, waiting for breaking news. Things are getting back to normal....thank god for that...

Love your work Mark. Time you started a blog and showed up some of the idiots masquerading as "journalists", "comedians", "experts" and "celebrities".

Love your work Mark. Time you started a blog and showed up some of the idiots masquerading as "journalists", "comedians", "experts" and "celebrities".

Thank you very much.....(said with elvis inflection)

i'm planning to start a new thread Markfs Magpie watch or something similar....... comment on the club. Like many sports writers who are currently writing in the media, I've run out of ideas for this thread....but unlike them, I plan to write about something different.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...e/news-story/6f14eaf076f130cfe546cc72d0886872

The latest in the hird drama. Buckley has sent a tweet out. The response from the Murdoch site is wrong in two aspects.

1. Buckley is not supporting Hird. He has taken aim at the media

"The presumption that people who play sport well are bullet proof allows personal attacks hidden behind "public interest"."

This is not a statement of support. The arsewipes that writes these columns and then dont even put their names to them are completely missing the point.

2. "THEY were once bitter rivals but Nathan Buckley has come out strongly in support of James Hird in the wake of his overdose."

No, they were never bitter. Buckley has never spoken of any ill will towards Hird. It is a fabrication to manufacture a story - they used to be enemies and now they are friends..... something you see on those dumb reality programs that the asswipes who write this stuff probably watch religiously.

But why bother with the truth when it gets in the way of a good headline....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...e/news-story/6f14eaf076f130cfe546cc72d0886872

The latest in the hird drama. Buckley has sent a tweet out. The response from the Murdoch site is wrong in two aspects.

"The presumption that people who play sport well are bullet proof allows personal attacks hidden behind "public interest"."

This is not a statement of support. The arsewipes that writes these columns and then dont even put their names to them are completely missing the point.

2. "THEY were once bitter rivals but Nathan Buckley has come out strongly in support of James Hird in the wake of his overdose."

No, they were never bitter. Buckley has never spoken of any ill will towards Hird. It is a fabrication to manufacture a story - they used to be enemies and now they are friends..... something you see on those dumb reality programs that the asswipes who write this stuff probably watch religiously.

You're an anomaly, Mark...you're becoming more coherent as you get older.

It's obvious that the Murdoch model is entering it's final death throes. It may take 5- 10 years but the sensationalist "reporting" with all the analytical depth of a kiddies wading pool is becoming parodied, disregarded and even tagged as "fake news" across the world. It's obvious that the angle is always the sensational story. there is never any responsibility taken and agendas are pushed across the board.
Their income streams are falling as is their influence. Expect them to get more sensationalist, less analytical and increasingly transparent as they thrash around trying to retain relevance.

It's obvious that the Murdoch model is entering it's final death throes. It may take 5- 10 years but the sensationalist "reporting" with all the analytical depth of a kiddies wading pool is becoming parodied, disregarded and even tagged as "fake news" across the world. It's obvious that the angle is always the sensational story. there is never any responsibility taken and agendas are pushed across the board.
Their income streams are falling as is their influence. Expect them to get more sensationalist, less analytical and increasingly transparent as they thrash around trying to retain relevance.

while i agree that the news sites are going to get crazier, i'm not sure we are headed for their extermination.... i think it's more likely that fact will merge seamlessly with fiction, conspiracy theories and urban legends....... and with the youngsters getting their "news" from katy perry's twitter feeds and Kim K's instagrams, I dont have any optimism.

i'm just looking forward to the day when margot robbie fronts the news bulletin..

I half read an article by a guy who is called Tyson otto. He wrote "an opinion piece" about Bern Tomic that has appeared on the Murdoch site. I clicked on it because it said something like "why tomic wont be a great player".... and I was stupid enough to waste a few minutes reading the crap until I realised it was his opinion....

who cares?

I mean, this thread is basically my opinion but I don't think that anyone should actually care about what I'm writing.

Now Tyson is probably an unpaid Murdoch blogger trying to get a gig on a paid position writing in Murdoch's papers or other media. I didn't pay anything. Nothing gained, nothing lost. However, the truth remains is that this guy writes an opinion without any references to experts in the field, without much really.....except for his opinion. Tyson who? Maybe his mother cares...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where it gets more serious. Here is the 'homepage" of a guy called Sam Clench.
http://www.news.com.au/the-team/sam-clench

For some reason, Sam's surname puts a picture in my head of a guy in the toilet with his pants around his ankles and him with clenched teeth..."turning Japanese"... fortunately I wont be thinking about him again this year...

anyway Sam writes about US politics and gives his opinion pieces... like a lot of online reporters.....reporters? reporting what? reporting the thoughts of smug still-wet from university graduation prats? Spare me....

He spends his free time eating..... well at least he's trying to improve himself.

The point is that he hasn't written one word of worth since he scored his job.... maybe he should make a contribution to the world and go back to fetching the mail...

People like these guys write stories about life..... and footy .....about clubs.... about footballers. They also turn Japanese in their toilets at work each day.....I'm not fussed about any of it.

Interesting approach to the Moana Hope situation by Daniel Cherny. Daniel is a self-made expert on AFL.....but arent we all.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...gwood-marquee-moana-hope-20170220-guh8pq.html

Anyway, Danny's a bit nervous for going in too hard too early against Moana.... The closest that he gets to the bone is the following...

"It's also been noted by a coach at a rival club that 75 of Hope's 106 goals at club level last year were kicked against the bottom four teams in the league, and that perhaps she is simply being tested against improved opposition."

and then there's the interesting approach of quoting murmurings ...

"Then there are the murmurings about Hope's training habits. Rightly or wrongly, Hope has a reputation both elsewhere in the AFLW and at her local club St Kilda as someone who has never been brilliant on the track."

so how to explain Mo, Danny? well it seems that Danny is going to circle the prey before he goes in for the kill, just in case he cops it from the you know who...

I just got connected back to foxtel for the winter. The big news, of course, is that Dermott is being paired up with Paul Roos for the League teams. However, it seems that they might be paired up in the commentary as well.

I watched a little of the Saints Swans practice match. What I heard from those two made me think that it could be a very long winter if these two are allocated the Pies games.

I'm not sure if Roos thinks that he has much to prove in the coaching area but Brereton is another matter. He was "feasting" on every half-assed nuance and tidbit of theory that he could bring to the table. The whole thing went into overdrive with Buddy..... It took me back to my younger days when I had the 2 year old son and had to listen to all his stuff and try to keep him entertained.....it was exhausting. But I'd gladly mind my son for a week than take on Brereton or an afternoon. After a while Roos got some of his own theories up and running and that only stimulated Dermie's rabid brain into an ice-like super warp drive burst of crap.

Is there a gov't department or ombudsman that I can complain to? Fortunately, it was a saints game so i could walk away but i'm dreading the weekend when Dermie and his new mate are allocated a Pies game.

Is there a gov't department or ombudsman that I can complain to? Fortunately, it was a saints game so i could walk away but i'm dreading the weekend when Dermie and his new mate are allocated a Pies game.

The Human Rights Commission?

Peter Ryan must go to bed every night and say his prayers and thank god that there's a collingwood to write about and feed his family
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-15/has-nathan-buckley-changed-enough-to-keep-his-job

I went to a Centrelink seminar on financial planning tonight. It was just around the corner and I didnt have anything else planned. Anyway, the presenter took 90 minutes what could be said in about 5..... cue to Peter Ryan's article which makes the point that Buckley has finally found delegation....

well we all know how empowerment has become the buzzword of just about everything. We all know how the millenials hate to be told what to do and need a reason to get up in the morning.....hence the delegation.

I like delegation but I also like consistency.....especially consistency in arguments. Let me give an example.

Why is Buckley's commitment to fitness something that is interpreted as some sort of obsession? I remember people talking about Tommy Hafey's commitment to fitness as something to be admired. I must admit that Bevo does look a little overweight compared to his playing weight. Does this mean that Bucks needs to get fat to be successful?

And if empowerment is the missing ingredient to Buckley's success, then someone needs to explain to me how Malthouse operated..... because I would have thought that everything in the football side of things went under his nose. He believed in small leadership groups, not to empower the players, but because they all could come to him to find out what they had to do.

If a coach can run a team in the traditional way in 2010 and win a premiership, then why is empowerment so important 7 years later?

And then there's the issue of Buckley's decisiveness. Evidently he gave Harry too much rope......and yet the list has got turned over a zillion times since Buckley became coach. I wish i had a dollar for every time that I've read that Buckley moved players along before their time.....is that the sign of a guy indulging players too much?

And then there's this issue about how much players like Buckley. I know all the senior players have spoken about how they loved Malthouse, but I've never heard of the guys who were on the fringe talking fondly of him....or the guys that he kicked out the door. In contrast, Peter Ryan goes and asks a few players who have been kicked out by Buckley whether they like him.....DERRRRR.

Finally Ryan seems to imply that discipline and hard work is not a major part of success......that Buckley put too much emphasis on it. I've heard from Buckley that he thinks he should have smelt the roses a bit more....but he has never said that he should have worked less harder at being a better player.

I'm not dismissing everything that Ryan is saying. I agree with a lot of what he wrote. However, life is a complex thing and so are footy clubs.

read some of the media reports for the game. evidently clokey played a blinder. just saw sandy refer to it on fox..... amazing comeback. kicked something like 6 goals and had about 20 possessions. best on the ground. extraordinary turnaround......shortening in the brownlow market..... how did we let this guy go?

on other news, listened to parko and the gang on abc radio last night...... parko enjoyed himself immensely in the first quarter as the doggies cut loose.... the rest of the gang were high fiving and hugging each other....i dont think i've heard of a happier group of carlton supporters.... thanks for bringing that to the fans, ABC.

read some of the media reports for the game. evidently clokey played a blinder. just saw sandy refer to it on fox..... amazing comeback. kicked something like 6 goals and had about 20 possessions. best on the ground. extraordinary turnaround......shortening in the brownlow market..... how did we let this guy go?

on other news, listened to parko and the gang on abc radio last night...... parko enjoyed himself immensely in the first quarter as the doggies cut loose.... the rest of the gang were high fiving and hugging each other....i dont think i've heard of a happier group of carlton supporters.... thanks for bringing that to the fans, ABC.
How was Parko at 1/2 time? I guess he wrote the 2nd quarter off as an aberration

How was Parko at 1/2 time? I guess he wrote the 2nd quarter off as an aberration

I had this strange feeling that someone from the outside of the commentary box told them they were actually giggling and sounding like a bunch of girls at a justin beaver concert....

parko made the comment at half time "coming to the ground tonight as an unbiased fan of footy"..... which made me choke on corn flakes......late breakfast..

it's good to see a pensioner getting out and having some fun...

Interesting reporting of the Cloke booing in media this week. So much condemning of it, like it never happens to almost every player that has ever switched clubs. They compared it to the Bomber fans applauding Roughead for his comeback, which was quite odd. It illustrated that clearly Collingwood fans are bunch of pricks for booing a Collingwood survivor while in comparison even Essendon fans (the most demonised supporters since #standbyhird) are good people as they cheered a cancer survivor. Shame Pies fans shame.

Watched the Crows v Giants game and every time Phil Davis got a touch the Crows fans booed him.......he left 5 years ago. Not an eyebrow was raised, even after Phil showed some empathy for a potentially injured Eddie Betts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back