Marley Williams - How many weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not reasonable. It's 2 weeks thanks to the sookiest club in the AFL going on with heartbleed stories like usual.
The AFL just changed the concussion protocol so this incident could be a line in the sand moment, it was a
free kick for high contact there was no remonstration that is where it should have ended. Your sooky rant
was unnecessary in life you must learn to read the vibe in the room, it is not that difficult.

The AFL just changed the concussion protocol so this incident could be a line in the sand moment, it was a
free kick for high contact there was no remonstration that is where it should have ended. Your sooky rant
was unnecessary in life you must learn to read the vibe in the room, it is not that difficult.
I'm guessing you missed Pickens desperate plea for a suspension?

I'm guessing you missed Pickens desperate plea for a suspension?
David King asked for a long suspension as well. I guess he must be a sleeper agent.

I'm less annoyed about this getting 2 as it seems to be the going rate (I don't agree with it but it is...well unless your name is Trent Cotchin before a grand final that is)

But how in the blue moon does Crouch get only a fine?

talk about Chook Lotto!

I'm less annoyed about this getting 2 as it seems to be the going rate (I don't agree with it but it is...well unless your name is Trent Cotchin before a grand final that is)

talk about Chook Lotto!
Because even though he dives sometimes Oliver's tough as nails. That's why no suspension

2 weeks is about right according to to hole the AFL now finds itself in.

Still amazes me that every time an on field incident occurs, a Bulldogs player bleats like a stuck lamb. Doesn't seem to happen at any other club.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

How many times did Brent Harvey say Crowley pinched him again? Was it 300? Who did Harvey play for?

Yeah never seen that at all just going on the general vibe on concussions at the moment, similar to the jumper
punch rule change when Tom Hawkins got done, Marley is just the line in the sand.
I don't like it. Avoiding concussion in an Aussie rules footy game is like avoiding getting wet in a storm. Sometimes it happens you can't legislate for everything

talk about Chook Lotto!
Crouch and Zorko both escaping with fines was a bit of a pisstake. Leave a bloke coughing up blood, or do a completely unnecessary shove that results in a player colliding with a trainer on the sidelines, risking serious injury to both, and you escape with a fine.

I think the Williams suspension was appropriate, but both the others should have been suspended alongside him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch and Zorko both escaping with fines was a bit of a pisstake. Leave a bloke coughing up blood, or do a completely unnecessary shove that results in a player colliding with a trainer on the sidelines, risking serious injury to both, and you escape with a fine.

I think the Williams suspension was appropriate, but both the others should have been suspended alongside him

There was a high bump late in the Brisbane game as well that was way worse as far action goes compared to the Williams one but because the Port player didn’t get hurt nothing came of it.

There was a high bump late in the Brisbane game as well that was way worse as far action goes compared to the Williams one but because the Port player didn’t get hurt nothing came of it.
This is why both intent and outcome should be considered. Ultimately though, the AFL does need to consider how serious concussions are, and the potential liability they face in future if they don't do enough to stamp out high risk actions that lead to injury.

If it were something as simple as a player attempting a smother, getting kicked in the head in the process and ending up concussed, then that's just an unfortunate accident. But here, Williams went for the unnecessary bump (wasn't exactly shepherding Richards out of the play) and now is accountable for the damage caused. I don't see a problem with him being suspended, and if it were Richards on Williams, I'd have expected Richards to be out for 2 weeks.

I didn't see the bump in the Brisbane game so can't exactly comment on it without seeing the footage

I don't like it. Avoiding concussion in an Aussie rules footy game is like avoiding getting wet in a storm. Sometimes it happens you can't legislate for everything
Yes, but appearing to legislate may save the AFL millions down the track. The AFL needs to display we ticked
all the boxes we could, if you think about it the Sydney Stack versus Jack Viney bump from last year shocked
most people as it has become so rare these days.

Yes, but appearing to legislate may save the AFL millions down the track. The AFL needs to display we ticked
all the boxes we could, if you think about it the Sydney Stack versus Jack Viney bump from last year shocked
most people as it has become so rare these days.
Doesn't make sense to me. In the NHL they can legally fight in the middle of the ice because they sign waivers to play. How is there no associated risk with AFL?

This is gonna lead to people being suspended for taking a hanger where they knee the bloke in the head under em.

This is why both intent and outcome should be considered. Ultimately though, the AFL does need to consider how serious concussions are, and the potential liability they face in future if they don't do enough to stamp out high risk actions that lead to injury.

If it were something as simple as a player attempting a smother, getting kicked in the head in the process and ending up concussed, then that's just an unfortunate accident. But here, Williams went for the unnecessary bump (wasn't exactly shepherding Richards out of the play) and now is accountable for the damage caused. I don't see a problem with him being suspended, and if it were Richards on Williams, I'd have expected Richards to be out for 2 weeks.

I didn't see the bump in the Brisbane game so can't exactly comment on it without seeing the footage

The AFL tribunal is a crapshoot and really only serves the purpose of appeasing the public/media by punishing players when the opposition gets hurt.

Rory Sloane got suspended for attempting a spoil while running back with the flight is just one example of it being a farce.

Doesn't make sense to me. In the NHL they can legally fight in the middle of the ice because they sign waivers to play. How is there no associated risk with AFL?

This is gonna lead to people being suspended for taking a hanger where they knee the bloke in the head under em.
Footballers don't sign up to cop concussions/injuries from the reckless behaviour of their peers. Fighting is within the rules of NHL, but this is not the case with the AFL so it's not really comparable. The NFL is facing enormous lawsuits and scrutiny thanks to a long history of concussions in their athletes, and has arguably led to an ex-player becoming a convicted murderer.

Regardless of your opinions on whether Williams deserved the suspension, ultimately the AFL can see what's happening in the NFL, and do what they can now to try and minimise the risk of ongoing concussions to players. Obviously it's still going to happen in general play and is somewhat unavoidable in that sense, but they do have a duty of care towards the players, so trying to stamp out reckless behaviour (i.e. electing to bump when not deemed necessary, performing dangerous tackles, etc.) is just one way of protecting their employees

I'm glad the inconsistencies of the MRP were fixed by just having a one man tribunal

Get rid of the MRP, back to the regular tribunal process, with extra hearings on a Monday night if needed. They're getting paid enough for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back