No Oppo Supporters Marlion Pickett Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

RICHMOND premiership player Marlion Pickett has been granted bail by a Perth magistrate after being charged over a string of alleged burglaries in which currency was stolen from safes.

Police remanded Pickett in custody on Sunday - a day after he played in the Tigers' 15-point win over Fremantle at Optus Stadium - alleging he was involved in commercial burglaries between December and January.

The 31-year-old appeared in the dock in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday, wearing a black sweatshirt.

He only spoke to confirm his name and was not required to enter pleas.

A police prosecutor told the court the alleged offending by Pickett and others involved a series of commercial burglaries resulting in the theft of more than $380,000 in Australian and foreign currencies from within safes.

Pickett is facing 12 charges including four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage.

Prosecutors opposed bail, saying there was a risk Pickett would reoffend if he was released.

Pickett's lawyer David Manera said the prosecution case rested largely on allegations deposits were made into his bank account by his co-offenders and that a camper-van rented in his name was driven interstate by the other men.

Magistrate Erin O'Donnell said the allegations were serious but she was confident Pickett did not present a significant flight risk.

She granted bail on the condition Pickett resides at his address in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir, reports weekly to a local police station, does not interact with his alleged co-offenders and provides a $50,000 personal surety.

Genius.

No.

Marlion was given the gift of opportunity after committing crimes, being jailed and believing that his opportunities were lost. Despite that, we gave him a chance, in a ******* GF no less. He is possibly the luckiest player in AFL history. A convicted criminal getting to debut in a winning GF. Ask all the players who played 200-300 games and never even played in a GF how lucky that campaigner was.

He shouldn't have even had that bloke in his ******* phone. Kurtley Thorne is a known grub. When he got given the opportunity he should have moved on. Marlion wrote a book about redemption. He knows the game.

The lead in to Rnd 1 will be the Marlion circus & the Dimma circus. Very little about Yze and the collection of blokes out there training their arse off to get this club back near the top.

Someone mentioned before the Cops are delaying the case. You could see that as a move of desperation to find more evidence, or, a vindictive way to humiliate him more. If he was found guilty now, the story would be incredibly small in comparison to how ******* big it will be on the eve of Round 1. WA police would love nothing more than being on the front pages across the country with Marlion cuffed up.

Club should have stood him down, with pay for all i care. Its not about the money, its about letting Yze set his own standards without the bullshit media chaos which stopped us building a certified dynasty. If he is guilty or not, i'm not a massive fan of Marlion. If i was a recovering drug addict & i was serious about staying clean - i wouldn't be keeping my dealer and drug buds in my phone. I'd move on. Malrion should have done the same and based on his book, he knows that.
Rubbish

Yes we will have to. Its worth noting - never said a bad thing about Marlion in my life prior to this. No personal malice in any of it. Just where my standards lie & a big believer of the club & the group always comes ahead of individuals. Since 2019, distractions have completely ****ed this club, which was why i was happy to see the back of Dimma, despite the success he brought. It's disappointing that Yze will have to start his tenure still having to clean up the messes of prior days.. Just want him & this group to have a fair go at moving forward.

FWIW i know people who have been stood down for far far less in the corporate worlds. We had one guy in a company i worked for just making inappropriate jokes on stage at a conference lose his job. Feel like Marlions situation was much worse, so perhaps my expectations are set from my experiences. FWIW too, i was happy to see that guy stood down for it as what he did was ******* stupid too. For me his guilt for the crimes he committed are amplified dramatically by the quality of person his co-offender his. Kurtley Thorne is not just a thief., he has pleaded guilty also to a long list of separate child sex abuse charges, including indecently recording a child under 13 years and the sexual penetration of a child of the same age in Bunbury and Carey Park. We are not talking about offences that were a decade ago, they happened between between March and April 2023. The lack of judgement he had to KEEP company with scum like Kurtley Thorne even after being given, quite literally, the biggest opportunity EVER in AFL history for a mature age player makes it hard to give him much benefit of the doubt, unfortunately.
I agree he should not have associated himself with Kurtley Thorne again as losers like this can’t bring any good. He’s a loser and low grade criminal. Still Pickett should not be stood down as he’s innocent until proven guilty and not guilty until proven innocent.

Last edited:
Learning from your mistakes hopefully and as we don't know whether his association with them was illegal. There's really nothing saying you cannot be friends with a scumbag except commonsense telling you to tread warily.

How many mistakes does one need to make before we accept the excuse of "learning from your mistakes". This guy sold books on this entire ethos. He knows the game, he literally wrote the book on it.

He had made too many mistakes BEFORE he was even recruited. The opportunity we have him was up there with the one the pies gave Andy Krakour & i personally expected the same clean run they got with him

The idea that standing him down would be akin to us abandoning him is laughable when you compare it to the DE Goey situation. They stood the guy down, for lesser crimes that he eventually was cleared for & the result was they re-signed him to a longer contract on a more team friendly deal & they won the flag a year later. And De goey is twice the player Marlion is. If you have a good enough system & communicate the why to the player & group to why you made the decision, those moments can be quite galvanising - but clearly sets the standard to the U21 group for the future.

If Marlion is found guilty, which looks fairly likely, the "downside" will far outweigh whatever "upside" we have got by supporting him.

I believe he should have been stood down, with pay, until a decision was made. Been told to train away from the group & given a personal trainer from the club to overlook his training to remain fit for when the matter was cleared up so he can be brought back into the group as quickly as possible. This is his mess to sort out, not ours

You will no doubt be asking for a refund on his book now RJK. :tearsofjoy:

Marlion is going to be considered for selection like everybody else unless and until something changes. This is exactly how it should be.

If he is guilty, i will throw my signed copy in the bin. definitely

I dont idolise other men younger than me just because they can kick a ball.

How many mistakes does one need to make before we accept the excuse of "learning from your mistakes". This guy sold books on this entire ethos. He knows the game, he literally wrote the book on it.

He had made too many mistakes BEFORE he was even recruited. The opportunity we have him was up there with the one the pies gave Andy Krakour & i personally expected the same clean run they got with him

The idea that standing him down would be akin to us abandoning him is laughable when you compare it to the DE Goey situation. They stood the guy down, for lesser crimes that he eventually was cleared for & the result was they re-signed him to a longer contract on a more team friendly deal & they won the flag a year later. And De goey is twice the player Marlion is. If you have a good enough system & communicate the why to the player & group to why you made the decision, those moments can be quite galvanising - but clearly sets the standard to the U21 group for the future.

If Marlion is found guilty, which looks fairly likely, the "downside" will far outweigh whatever "upside" we have got by supporting him.

I believe he should have been stood down, with pay, until a decision was made. Been told to train away from the group & given a personal trainer from the club to overlook his training to remain fit for when the matter was cleared up so he can be brought back into the group as quickly as possible. This is his mess to sort out, not ours
We still don’t know his full involvement or association in this matter as he may have had is name dragged into it without even being aware or he may have even advised against their wishes. You can’t assume anything and you used the most important word in law which is IF. That’s why you’re innocent until proven guilty. I think the club has made the right decision here as they probably know a lot more than we will ever know. I think IF😉 it was as drastic as you’re assuming then they would’ve stood him down.

If you have idols, who are they then?
The second commandment

Exodus 20:4-5 ERV“You must not make any idols. Don't make any statues or pictures of anything up in the sky or of anything on the earth or of anything down in the water. Don't worship or serve idols of any kind, because I, the LORD, am your God. I hate my people worshiping other gods.

The second commandment

Exodus 20:4-5 ERV“You must not make any idols. Don't make any statues or pictures of anything up in the sky or of anything on the earth or of anything down in the water. Don't worship or serve idols of any kind, because I, the LORD, am your God. I hate my people worshiping other gods.

Pretty sure they hadn't heard of Dustin Martin when they wrote that TI. ;)

The second commandment

Tell that to the Hindu's and Buddists, although the Taliban are in agreement.

The second commandment

Some sort of weird chatter between Aaron Lord and Gaz snr I presume. Marlion was just trying to keep outta trouble.

The second commandment

617DtuZA7qL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

You really must believe we have Benny Hill and that bold bloke running the RFC

Peggy , Gale , Hartley , Dimma , Mini and Now a bunch of new people all highly credentialled and wise people that have been around a long time and part of the football world and some the legal and business world.

These people incharge would know the entire story and would have had meetings and numerous discussions and been advised by the right people on what this thing is all about and made the call not to stand him down. You say with pay why ?
I believe he was out of contract at the end of 2023 so if you are standing him down then why pay him ?

You have a choice Sack him and throw him out or stand by a player that currently has not even had his day in court

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back