Toast Marlion Pickett GF performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Morgan3

Debutant
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t think some of you dimwits truly realise what a phenomenal performance this was.
It’s just unheard of in the modern era to see a player run out on to the ground with so little experience, on debut, and into the cauldron of death that is a flat out pace league grand final...not in the last 60 years anyway.

His poise and calmness was like watching a 27 year old veteran.

His selection and the red hot form he showed in the game was nothing short of incredible. Incredibly rare occurrence.
One of the best first games I have seen by a player.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
One of the best first games I have seen by a player.

Exactly...forget it was a grand final for a minute and just look at it solely as an amazing debut game at the highest level. Here he is just effortlessly slotting into the speed of play with a group that is extremely well drilled and regimented.

Just another game maybe..but to do what he did in front 100k in that atmosphere is unbelievable.

On debut I think only Judd has played with such awareness and confidence in his disposal.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
He's a good calm lad. Untroubled on the field it seems though has been troubled off it. If he loses motivation he will be dropped, same applies to every other player, so I don't get those comments.

I dont think he will lose motivation. He has dropped the doing it for my kids line a few times, up and up from here i reckon.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont think he will lose motivation. He has dropped the doing it for my kids line a few times, up and up from here i reckon.
I hope your still celebrating Marcel. For the rest of us it is all abt 2020.

Pickett has less chance of losing motivation than most blokes. He is older, 4 kids, he knows this is his last opp. Everything points to him being more motivated. A really good and inspiring story so far that appeals to all folk not only you fortunate buggars.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

coldlunch

All Australian
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
maybe i'm a grinch, but aside from it being in a grand final, was his game really that amazing? plenty of mature age players have big first games (Mick Barlow's 33 touches and 2 goals comes to mind). fair enough Pickett's debut was on the biggest stage, but he had just been BOG in a grand final the week prior, his team was absolute dominating the match, and he did actually make quite a few skill errors early on that just happened not to matter. it's a fantastic story because of his background and the occasion, but I wouldn't get too carried away yet about what he's going to be next year.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
maybe i'm a grinch, but aside from it being in a grand final, was his game really that amazing? plenty of mature age players have big first games (Mick Barlow's 33 touches and 2 goals comes to mind). fair enough Pickett's debut was on the biggest stage, but he had just been BOG in a grand final the week prior, his team was absolute dominating the match, and he did actually make quite a few skill errors early on that just happened not to matter. it's a fantastic story because of his background and the occasion, but I wouldn't get too carried away yet about what he's going to be next year.

yeah he was, he was magic, only played 2/3s of the game too

his skill errors were debatable, i think they were intentional and they came off - the handball in the forward pocket allowing Bolton (iirc) to run onto it, the chaos kick across the face of CHF etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coldlunch

All Australian
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
he is was

he was magic, only played 2/3s of the game too

his skill errors were debatable, i think they were intentional and they came off - the handball in the forward pocket allowing Bolton (iirc) to run onto it, the chaos kick across the face of CHF etc.
i'm thinking mainly of the dribble kick that took three bounces and a left turn through Perryman's legs and wound up in Rioli's hands running at goal, and the incorrect disposal after being chased down that led to another goal. still think he was impressive, don't get me wrong, i just think without the backstory or the buildup we had to that game, if it was a round 1 blowout, we wouldn't be getting so carried away about it

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
i'm thinking mainly of the dribble kick that took three bounces and a left turn through Perryman's legs and wound up in Rioli's hands running at goal, and the incorrect disposal after being chased down that led to another goal. still think he was impressive, don't get me wrong, i just think without the backstory or the buildup we had to that game, if it was a round 1 blowout, we wouldn't be getting so carried away about it
I think the dribble kick was deliberate. If you watch the replay (not a tiger supporter, I don’t expect you to), his eyes give it away, he sees the GWS player in the way and he gets creative, and somehow with some luck, it worked.

Bicko

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Im a bit like Benji Marshall. Forgive and forget only goes so far. Theirs certain things that cannot be forgiven or forgotten. Marlion should be in that category unfortunately. It sucks for him but that is life. As much as "you did your time" is a thing, its not always applied.

He made it out due to timing. If he was drafted at 17 and did his crime, he wouldnt have gotten another chance. Because he did it out of the spotlight and not on a AFL list he gets another go.

Very much like Matthew Lodge in the NRL. You cant adjust your moral compass because of proximity to the incident. Its either wrong and lifetime ban or it isnt. Pick a side and stick to it guys
Just looked up the definition of self righteous, your name came up. Then I looked up to see if there was ever a perfect man, once again, your name came up, but it stated that you were deceiving yourself.

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Just looked up the definition of self righteous, your name came up. Then I looked up to see if there was ever a perfect man, once again, your name came up, but it stated that you were deceiving yourself.
He has no idea anyway.
Andrew Krakouer went to gaol on an AFL list and got another shot at the pies.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Im a bit like Benji Marshall. Forgive and forget only goes so far. Theirs certain things that cannot be forgiven or forgotten. Marlion should be in that category unfortunately. It sucks for him but that is life. As much as "you did your time" is a thing, its not always applied.

He made it out due to timing. If he was drafted at 17 and did his crime, he wouldnt have gotten another chance. Because he did it out of the spotlight and not on a AFL list he gets another go.

Very much like Matthew Lodge in the NRL. You cant adjust your moral compass because of proximity to the incident. Its either wrong and lifetime ban or it isnt. Pick a side and stick to it guys

bizarre

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Ok, so you condone violence, and think that property offences are much worse?

THE Benji Marshall assault scandal has dramatically escalated this afternoon with the Golden Boot winner charged by police

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
You’re right, if it was round 1 it would’ve been a very good debut, but nothing overly special for mature agers. But he did it in a grand final. It’s not round 1, and that’s why it’s getting hyped as much as it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back