Roast Marlion Pickett go fund me and neal balme comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be a salary cap issue if all the players gave him some of their money, even $1k per player would help him out I'm sure... Everyone talks about how much the players love him and if so why would they not think like this??? Apart from rookies most of our players would be still getting 250k for the year as a minimum I'm sure 1k would not hurt them....
That’s not the point it would still be a breach of the contract

It would be because it’s essentially a change of contract (that is not allowed currentlyof both the players giving him the money and by Pickett reviving more than what he was contracted to receive
Because the players all have the same employer

Here’s the thing. Marlion Pickett is a rookie. He is not Patrick Dangerfield. Players get paid their market worth and know this heading into a volatile industry. I genuinely feel for Pickett and the other rookies but if you choose to pursue a career in professional sports why should the elite players sacrifice their salary to compensate yours, that’s not really fair?

Go fund me must be included in cap.

He applied to the AFL hardship fund.
He was due to earn 85k this year but that's been effectively halved and he's got 4 kids to support in a new city.

If this happened every year or in an attempt to manipulate the rules it's dodgy, but in these once in a lifetime circumstances that isn't the case here, it's a guy in a unique first time situation desperately trying to support his family, and the club doing it's best to help him out.

It's transparant and public, the AFL knows, they can advise one way or the other.

Some perspective please...
* me $85K? His older so not a huge amount of years to make bank. He'll probably struggle on $85k with 4 kids and a missus anyway.

All being said, is the AFL integrity team looking at this story with possible Salary Cap circumventing or rorting in mind. What's to stop any player doing this and a cashed up club supporter making an anonymous donation. If there's a loophole close it.
There are more people out of work getting a lot less than Picket and needing the help. I'm sure Richmond is looking after most of Pickets concerns in other ways.

1. Should a go fund me page for an AFL player be included in salary cap if paid by that players clubs members? Can of worms if it isn't. For example at Adelaide what is stopping a "crows member" setting up one for Brad Crouch to keep him from higher offers elsewhere? Open to too much corruption and AFL needs to step in, there's a salary cap for a reason.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme confirmed in an extensive SEN Breakfast interview on Friday morning that the club was attempting to lock in some “genuine opportunities” to assist Pickett in the midst of an “uncomfortable” short-term period.

Isn't this why Adelaide got done for salary cap cheating with Kurt Tippett? Helping a player get paid outside the salary cap. It's cheating.

Vic Bias at work again. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics defend this one.

Maybe the top five players can all give up 10k each.
That’s not the point it would still be a breach of the contract

It would be because it’s essentially a change of contract (that is not allowed currentlyof both the players giving him the money and by Pickett reviving more than what he was contracted to receive
Because the players all have the same employer
Agree.

Richmond could have fixed this back on October and didn't.

They could however seek special permission from the AFL to restructure player contacts.

This should be allowed in the circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't been working, his workplace has suffered a 30% loss. Surely qualifies?

A-League players are on it, same situation?

Don't you have to be with your employer for at least 12 months?

If so he was a mid season pick up for Richmond last year won't have reached the 12 month qualification.

Overall in my humble opinion it is the AFLPA who have let him down and all other rookies and lower paid players. The AFL I believe have said no to the gofundme thing and I agree with them way way to open for abuse and don't want to open that door.

Not sure if it would be possible but could Richmond elevate him from rookie list to listed player would that give him a base wage rise? Anybody?

Here’s the thing. Marlion Pickett is a rookie. He is not Patrick Dangerfield. Players get paid their market worth and know this heading into a volatile industry. I genuinely feel for Pickett and the other rookies but if you choose to pursue a career in professional sports why should the elite players sacrifice their salary to compensate yours, that’s not really fair?

Go fund me must be included in cap.

It's a team game so that's always a part of how pay is distributed amongst players.

Agree it should be in cap.

Absolute crap.

I'll bet Cotchin, Riewoldt, Prestia, Martin and Lynch aren't hurting.

Richmond should have sorted this situation out back in October. Before Covid.

Now Richmond are looking to cheat to cover this mistake up. Their mistake.

The AFL have such a rigid, if not inflexible salary cap and associated issues with the ATO which makes it nigh on impossible for club's to have players willingly sacrifice their pay/salary in order to accommodate a unique case like Marlion Pickett

Are you that naive to assume that blokes like Jack Riewoldt, Dusty, Cotchin etc wouldn't be happy to take a pay cut to help out a bloke like Marlion Pickett?

Also dare I mention the White Elephant called The Swans Cost of Living Allowance which was inappropriately used to sign Lance Franklin ?

I really hate to defend Richmond at the best of times, but in this instance you are 100 % wrong and misinformed.

Don't you have to be with your employer for at least 12 months?

If so he was a mid season pick up for Richmond last year won't have reached the 12 month qualification.

Overall in my humble opinion it is the AFLPA who have let him down and all other rookies and lower paid players. The AFL I believe have said no to the gofundme thing and I agree with them way way to open for abuse and don't want to open that door.

Not sure if it would be possible but could Richmond elevate him from rookie list to listed player would that give him a base wage rise? Anybody?
No. Only had to be employed in February to qualify.

Absolute crap.

Who said Richmond are going to cheat? From what i've seen they've been up front about it

The AFL have such a rigid, if not inflexible salary cap and associated issues with the ATO which makes it nigh on impossible for club's to have players willingly sacrifice their pay/salary in order to accommodate a unique case like Marlion Pickett

Are you that naive to assume that blokes like Jack Riewoldt, Dusty, Cotchin etc wouldn't be happy to take a pay cut to help out a bloke like Marlion Pickett?

Also dare I mention the White Elephant called The Swans Cost of Living Allowance which was inappropriately used to sign Lance Franklin ?

I really hate to defend Richmond at the best of times, but in this instance you are 100 % wrong and misinformed.
Not saying it's simple.
Also not as complex as U make out.
Would involve a bit of work agree.
Would need special permission from AFL.
Cant see the ATO issues you allude to.
Many many workers have highly volatile income in normal times.
I seriously don't think it's all all that complex like ur making out.

The COLA was unfair and was justifiably axed five years ago.

Last edited:
Who said Richmond are going to cheat? From what i've seen they've been up front about it
That's the whole point of this thread?
Richmond appear to be publicly lobbying the AFL for some special allowance and playing the public sympathy card.

The go fund me and the comments by Balme about getting some 'opportunity' appear to be suggesting this.

I think we are just saying this needs a close eye and is a red flag.

If they mismanaged their salary cap in October they shouldn't now get some special allowance just by playing the public sympathy card.

Isnt that the point of this thread??

The fact that the players on sub 100k seem to have taken a similar percentage to the top end of players is a bit of a farce.

The AFLPA seem to be working for the top end talent more than others. Will be interesting to see come the end of the season and how the AFLPA will handle the mass list cuts that are coming, would they ask their top earners to take a cut to ensure acouple of lesser known players get to keep their list spot?
Dangerflog aint half the AFLPA president that Pavlich was, and that is coming from a WCE. Should try representing his members equally not just the top end, and needs to learn to keep his opinions to himself. Used to like the man but has become a flog that just likes the sound of his own voice.

Seems like the go fund me page is just something set up by a random fan and probably of no consequence.

I'm more interested in Balme's comments about getting some extra curricular financial opportunity for Marlion.

By all means do it but it has to be included in cap.

Richmond have paid huge dollars to Martin and Lynch. Huge.

They can't be given further concessions due to their own mismanagement. They obviously screwed Marlion back in October.
They should have sorted him out back then rather than try and screw him.

Absolute crap.

Ha I suppose 5g must be getting through the tin foil hat.

Thread clearly shows how people with no idea what they're talking about will happily throw an opinion. The amount with absolutely no understanding of the salary cap rules, wages or government benefits but yet still come in with their opinions is hilarious. Then again I suppose most of us have spent the last two months listening to CEO at Full Time Mummy's constantly voice their superior medical knowledge over medical doctors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back