Roast Marlion Pickett go fund me and neal balme comments

Remove this Banner Ad

For Crows fans - 29th September 2017 - the day Richmond broke them as a club.

to be completely fair to 1990crow, he is legit nearing 60 days quarantined in a hotel after contracting covid returning from overseas

he's under more duress than most - i would have been banned by now for sure if I was stuck inside that long

Just on this though wasn’t the wages for the season only dropped by 25% because half the season was already paid? Still $60k odd thousand a year which would be tough but manageable. Do the players still get match payments? Hopefully he can get a few games and still make $80-90k for the year.
The situations not bad enough to throw the salary cap out the window
No it was halved I think but he will get match payments when games start again .

The fact that the players on sub 100k seem to have taken a similar percentage to the top end of players is a bit of a farce.

The AFLPA seem to be working for the top end talent more than others. Will be interesting to see come the end of the season and how the AFLPA will handle the mass list cuts that are coming, would they ask their top earners to take a cut to ensure acouple of lesser known players get to keep their list spot?

He applied to the AFL hardship fund.
He was due to earn 85k this year but that's been effectively halved and he's got 4 kids to support in a new city.

If this happened every year or in an attempt to manipulate the rules it's dodgy, but in these once in a lifetime circumstances that isn't the case here, it's a guy in a unique first time situation desperately trying to support his family, and the club doing it's best to help him out.

Some perspective please...

Give it a rest, it’s unprecedented times and the bloke is struggling with a young family. I’m sure he’s not happy about having to ask for assistance. There’s a huge difference between Tippett’s greed and Pickett asking out of necessity.

Boo hoo

Join Centrelink if he's feeling hard done by.

Can Richmond renegotiate his contract?
Not during covid.

It does highlight the problem with the ‘rookie’ system being used to bring in 28yr old senior players.

And LoL at Adelaide fans trying to equate this to salary cap cheating.

But yeah, surely a pretty obvious solution to the cash flow problem would be Dusty and T.Lynch just sling him $1k a month until his match payments come back.

Just on this though wasn’t the wages for the season only dropped by 25% because half the season was already paid? Still $60k odd thousand a year which would be tough but manageable. Do the players still get match payments? Hopefully he can get a few games and still make $80-90k for the year.
The situations not bad enough to throw the salary cap out the window

Depends on what a person or family budgets for. If they budget for 80k and it is suddenly 60k that is very hard to make up.

1. Should a go fund me page for an AFL player be included in salary cap if paid by that players clubs members? Can of worms if it isn't. For example at Adelaide what is stopping a "crows member" setting up one for Brad Crouch to keep him from higher offers elsewhere? Open to too much corruption and AFL needs to step in, there's a salary cap for a reason.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme confirmed in an extensive SEN Breakfast interview on Friday morning that the club was attempting to lock in some “genuine opportunities” to assist Pickett in the midst of an “uncomfortable” short-term period.

Isn't this why Adelaide got done for salary cap cheating with Kurt Tippett? Helping a player get paid outside the salary cap. It's cheating.

Vic Bias at work again. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics defend this one.
No, I think you misunderstood his comments. It seems that he is trying to find ways that Pickett can be paid above board outside of the salary cap. He is also clearly of the opinion that the AFL should not increase the TPP from what it currently is (according to The Age's article on this). Also, this is not necessarily so that they can retain him. This is so that he can comfortably look after his family. I'd expect that from a football General Manager so I do not find his comments troubling. On the gofundme situation, my understanding is that the player would not be able to accept the gofundme donations outside of the salary cap under the AFL rules as Richmond members may be considered third parties in this instance. I am not sure but that is what some mentioned on the Richmond board.

If there is no way to pay Pickett above board, then I'm sure Pickett will have something else organised. Adelaide's situation with Tippett was different. It was alleged that Adelaide and Tippett had a contractual arrangement in place that was not above board with the AFL, which resulted in a payment of $200,000 outside of the salary cap.

Players earn income outside of the money they receive from their club like Dustin Martin and his sponsorship deal with certain brands. Richmond may just want to find something allowed by the AFL like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He set up his family in Melbourne thinking he was on $85,000 and that was halved.
It is a cashflow problem, his base salary payments have halved for the last couple of months only.

Once games start, and if he then gets match payments he will be fine.

All it needed was a couple of his team-mates who earn the 800K range to flick him a couple of grand to help his cash flow over the last couple of months.

All it needed was a couple of his team-mates who earn the 800K range to flick him a couple of grand to help his cash flow over the last couple of months.
So easy. Because in all industries it's easy to go to a few coworkers you've known for 9 months and ask for 5k from a few of them.

No, I think you misunderstood his comments. It seems that he is trying to find ways that Pickett can be paid above board outside of the salary cap. He is also clearly of the opinion that the AFL should not increase the TPP from what it currently is (according to The Age's article on this). Also, this is not necessarily so that they can retain him. This is so that he can comfortably look after his family. I'd expect that from a football General Manager so I do not find his comments troubling. On the gofundme situation, my understanding is that the player would not be able to accept the gofundme donations outside of the salary cap under the AFL rules as Richmond members may be considered third parties in this instance. I am not sure but that is what some mentioned on the Richmond board.

If there is no way to pay Pickett above board, then I'm sure Pickett will have something else organised. Adelaide's situation with Tippett was different. It was alleged that Adelaide and Tippett had a contractual arrangement in place that was not above board with the AFL, which resulted in a payment of $200,000 outside of the salary cap.

Players earn income outside of the money they receive from their club like Dustin Martin and his sponsorship deal with certain brands. Richmond may just want to find something allowed by the AFL like that.

The players are allowed to earn money and not have it included in salary cap. These deals must be made independently of the club. The point of tension is whether having Marlion work at KGI could somehow be considered external from the club given it is part of Richmond's community programming.

AFL are in a bind here, how can they allow the feel good story of 2019 to wallow in poverty given how much he has given the AFL over the last 6 months.

AFLPA could have seen this coming and should have done much more to protect their lower ranked players. This deal sucks for lower paid players. A first round draft pick goes from 105K to monthly wage based on 55K per annum. Match payments have now decreased from 4K to 2K, and the number of opportunities to earn match payments has decreased from 22 to 17.

The $3000 per month Pickett currently earns is his salary being supplemented by Jobkeeper.

AFLPA could have done a deal with AFL and said 50% with the salary floor being 70K. That way people like Pickett are only giving up 15K.

Picketts max earning for H&A season are now 16x 2K (32K) plus 7 months of wages paid at job keeper rate of $3000 per month.

That puts him at around 53K between March and end of October including match payments.(If job keeper stays around beyond September).

Pittance really.

1. Should a go fund me page for an AFL player be included in salary cap if paid by that players clubs members? Can of worms if it isn't. For example at Adelaide what is stopping a "crows member" setting up one for Brad Crouch to keep him from higher offers elsewhere? Open to too much corruption and AFL needs to step in, there's a salary cap for a reason.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme confirmed in an extensive SEN Breakfast interview on Friday morning that the club was attempting to lock in some “genuine opportunities” to assist Pickett in the midst of an “uncomfortable” short-term period.

Isn't this why Adelaide got done for salary cap cheating with Kurt Tippett? Helping a player get paid outside the salary cap. It's cheating.

Vic Bias at work again. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics defend this one.

Vic Bias :rolleyes: Grow up.

Whoever created this go fund me thing is a little tone deaf.

Asking the public, who are very possibly having their own financial issues in this time, to support a sportsman who should be protected by their employer/player's association, is a bit gross.

I thought the same thing, but its raised over 5K in a couple of days... I would say that's a pretty good outing.

Whoever created this go fund me thing is a little tone deaf.

Asking the public, who are very possibly having their own financial issues in this time, to support a sportsman who should be protected by their employer/player's association, is a bit gross.

Perhaps, but considering he isn't being protected and he is paying for four kids in a very expensive town to live in......not saying I agree with the method but I can understand that $1500 doesn't go all that far if it is paying for up to six people in Melbourne.

I thought the same thing, but its raised over 5K in a couple of days... I would say that's a pretty good outing.

The fact that the public has been asked to provide a welfare safety net for an employed person is the problem. It should literally never happen.

The fact that the public has been asked to provide a welfare safety net for an employed person is the problem. It should literally never happen.

They are doing it of their own volition.

Although I doubt Marlion will be able to keep the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back