Roast Marlion Pickett go fund me and neal balme comments

Remove this Banner Ad

If Picketts salary is so low with 4 kids his partner would be entitled to a heap of parenting payment and family tax benefit.

In fact his salary jumping from 42500 to 85000 would actually make not that much difference when you take into account the higher tax bracket, lost parenting payment and lower amount of family tax benefit plus loss of concession card.

To make it sound like the total cash amount he, his partner, and 4 kids are seeing as being around 42500 is complete bullshit.

That puts him at around 53K between March and end of October including match payments.(If job keeper stays around beyond September).
53K for six months is not that big an issue, more than the majority of people manage to get by on.

This is just a current cash flow problem, he was obviously ok to come and try his luck on the rookie base. No gaurantee of match payments.

He did receive his standard pay from Oct through March, but starting April that was halved, so a short term cash problem....no different to basically entire football department and club staffed who were laid off back in April.
If games start up again, and he is picked, then his monthly cash flow will be more than he was living off back in January.

Unfortunately, plenty of the football club staff won’t be in such a fortunate position.

And ultimately he was backing himself in on proving his worth and then hopefully signing a decent senior contract for next few seasons anyway, so this is very much a short term problem that will resolve itself if games get underway.

Depends on what a person or family budgets for. If they budget for 80k and it is suddenly 60k that is very hard to make up.
Absolutely he would be doing it tough and there is absolutely no reason he should be except that the AFLPA didn’t look after them. I’m just saying I don’t think things are bad enough to go stuffing around with the salary cap rules

If the FundMe page & 'genuine opportunities' allow Pickett to make up the difference of the pay cut, then I see no issue with it for him & other rookies under the circumstances.. However any $$$ that put him beyond his $85k are the equivalent of the old Brown Paper Bag..

Poor fellow, it’s a shame his own player represented union doesn’t care about the lower end of town.
I guess he and his fellow rookies could grab a job at Coles or somewhere similar to supplement their income if a normal job isn’t beneath them.
All the people I know that have been stood down haven’t had the luxury of keeping a % of their pay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like every other part of our society, or how it should be run, the cutting of salaries should have been means tested. Large salaries get cut harder, base salaries much less. One cut fits all is unfair, just like our tax situation, or how it is supposed to work.

Poor fellow, it’s a shame his own player represented union doesn’t care about the lower end of town.
I guess he and his fellow rookies could grab a job at Coles or somewhere similar to supplement their income if a normal job isn’t beneath them.
All the people I know that have been stood down haven’t had the luxury of keeping a % of their pay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
But will quality for the Govt's $750 p.w backstop. Footballers don't quality. If you hadn't noticed, the unemployment lines are getting longer, not that many jobs out there especially for blokes that are in isolation.

If Picketts salary is so low with 4 kids his partner would be entitled to a heap of parenting payment and family tax benefit.

In fact his salary jumping from 42500 to 85000 would actually make not that much difference when you take into account the higher tax bracket, lost parenting payment and lower amount of family tax benefit plus loss of concession card.

To make it sound like the total cash amount he, his partner, and 4 kids are seeing as being around 42500 is complete bullshit.
$650 a week in his pocket compared to $1140.. nah not much difference there

His Union let him down. And I bet he voted for.the deal, so his management either ill advised him or he did not seek advice before voting.

Regardless of circumstances any Gofundme income should come under the TPP.

Next time a big player comes off contract what is to stop such a page being set up to lure them to another club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

$650 a week in his pocket compared to $1140.. nah not much difference there
Pretty stupid of you to not read the direct words after the bolded bit.

It hass to do with how much his family actually get as a whole.

A single income couple with 4 kids where the primary earner brings in $42500 per year gets alot of help with the other partner getting parenting payment, family tax benefit, and access to a health care card.

With a jump in income you start losing those benefits at a high rate for every extra dollar earned.

How exactly did his story give the AFL millions?

How did his narrative produce that kind of cash?
All the articles on Pickett that take media space are positive promotion for the AFL. That means more people are reading about the AFL, the corporates get more brand exposure , newspapers make more money, Richmond makes more money with membership and merchandise sales ect.
It was a national news story.Everyone in Australia knows who Marlion Pickett is and it's an inspiring story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boo hoo

Join Centrelink if he's feeling hard done by.
He's just trying to feed his family.It's not all beer and skittles bringing up 4 kids under 9.
Any reasonable person can see this is a joke considering some of the spuds on $300,000.

All the articles on Pickett that take media space are positive promotion for the AFL. That means more people are reading about the AFL, the corporates get more brand exposure , newspapers make more money, Richmond makes more money with membership and merchandise sales ect.
It was a national news story.Everyone in Australia knows who Marlion Pickett is and it's an inspiring story.
The column space was going to be filled with something grand final related that week no matter what. If Pickett never existed something else would have been written related to the game and the league.

He probably has given money to extended family who need it.

He's just trying to feed his family.It's not all beer and skittles bringing up 4 kids under 9.
Any reasonable person can see this is a joke considering some of the spuds on $300,000.
Increases in family tax benefit, his partner qualifying for the parenting payment with his now lower income, and access to a health care card will do a huge amount to help supplement his drop in income.

well yeah, hence the loss of four draft picks

You mention this as if it's somehow not well known

deflection works best if it's relevant - Crows copped their whack so it no longer is
Pointing out the difference in the situations is relevant seeing as the OP suggested that it's cheating and another case of #VICBIAS

Honestly.

Everyone is hurting. Give the guy a break.
I’m not a fan of the corruption of go fund me. A lot of people are hurting, plenty have no job instead of half a job, very few would have lots of mates on big six figure salaries and most would go unnoticed on go fund me whereas his celebrity would guarantee a boost.

His issues are real but it’s for the AFL, go fund me should be a non-starter.

So easy. Because in all industries it's easy to go to a few coworkers you've known for 9 months and ask for 5k from a few of them.
We are talking roughly $5K total, it has been just two months of reduced salary.

If he gets picked for AFL games when they start in June, he will be clearing more than he was back in January.

So yeah, if Dimma, Dusty, T.Lynch and Cotch all flicked him $1k, he would have basically had his cash flow for April/May absorbed.

The column space was going to be filled with something grand final related that week no matter what. If Pickett never existed something else would have been written related to the game and the league.
Yeah Nah mate this is a special story that goes beyond sport.
He debuted in a GF and was in the top 3 players.

The AFL, Richmond, and Pickett need to get on the front foot and have this fundraiser shut down before more people donate. As another poster indicated this is being left to turn into a massive can of worms if they don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back