Roast Marlion Pickett go fund me and neal balme comments

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide

1. Should a go fund me page for an AFL player be included in salary cap if paid by that players clubs members? Can of worms if it isn't. For example at Adelaide what is stopping a "crows member" setting up one for Brad Crouch to keep him from higher offers elsewhere? Open to too much corruption and AFL needs to step in, there's a salary cap for a reason.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme confirmed in an extensive SEN Breakfast interview on Friday morning that the club was attempting to lock in some “genuine opportunities” to assist Pickett in the midst of an “uncomfortable” short-term period.

Isn't this why Adelaide got done for salary cap cheating with Kurt Tippett? Helping a player get paid outside the salary cap. It's cheating.

Vic Bias at work again. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics defend this one.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Give it a rest, it’s unprecedented times and the bloke is struggling with a young family. I’m sure he’s not happy about having to ask for assistance. There’s a huge difference between Tippett’s greed and Pickett asking out of necessity.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He applied to the AFL hardship fund.
He was due to earn 85k this year but that's been effectively halved and he's got 4 kids to support in a new city.

If this happened every year or in an attempt to manipulate the rules it's dodgy, but in these once in a lifetime circumstances that isn't the case here, it's a guy in a unique first time situation desperately trying to support his family, and the club doing it's best to help him out.

It's transparant and public, the AFL knows, they can advise one way or the other.

Some perspective please...

Last edited:

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

1. Should a go fund me page for an AFL player be included in salary cap if paid by that players clubs members? Can of worms if it isn't. For example at Adelaide what is stopping a "crows member" setting up one for Brad Crouch to keep him from higher offers elsewhere? Open to too much corruption and AFL needs to step in, there's a salary cap for a reason.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme confirmed in an extensive SEN Breakfast interview on Friday morning that the club was attempting to lock in some “genuine opportunities” to assist Pickett in the midst of an “uncomfortable” short-term period.

Isn't this why Adelaide got done for salary cap cheating with Kurt Tippett? Helping a player get paid outside the salary cap. It's cheating.

Vic Bias at work again. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics defend this one.
You are assuming Marlion will accept the money from the Go Fund Me page. Where is your evidence that he will?

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
He applied to the AFL hardship fund.
He was due to earn 85k this year but that's been effectively halved and he's got 4 kids to support in a new city.

If this happened every year or in an attempt to manipulate the rules it's dodgy, but in these once in a lifetime circumstances that isn't the case here, it's a guy in a unique first time situation desperately trying to support his family, and the club doing it's best to help him out.

Some perspective please...
This is why the AFLPA should have bargained hard for no reduction for players earning $100k or less. The money should have been skimmed off the top end contracts only.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Give it a rest, it’s unprecedented times and the bloke is struggling with a young family. I’m sure he’s not happy about having to ask for assistance. There’s a huge difference between Tippett’s greed and Pickett asking out of necessity.

How about Dusty or Tom Lynch giving up some of his loot?

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is why the AFLPA should have bargained hard for no reduction for players earning $100k or less. The money should have been skimmed off the top end contracts only.

That would have seemed obvious but hey the top end players have to look after their own interests. Footy world meet the Corporate world.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The situation is absolutely damning for the AFLPA, this is the deal they signed off on.

Why would you not protect your members with lower income by having a moving percentage reduction depending on salary, or a minimum base salary at which no further reductions apply? This could easily be funded by a slightly greater decrease for the top end earners. Too much influence at the AFLPA from the highest salary players?

If you want to be cynical about the situation then this is the real issue. Not a 28 year old guy who just wants to feed his family, and the others who are in similar situations no doubt but who are just not getting the same media love.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
The situation is absolutely damning for the AFLPA, this is the deal they signed off on.

Why would you not protect your members with lower income by having a moving percentage reduction depending on salary, or a minimum base salary at which no further reductions apply? This could easily be funded by a slightly greater decrease for the top end earners. Too much influence at the AFLPA from the highest salary players?

If you want to be cynical about the situation then this is the real issue. Not a 28 year old guy who just wants to feed his family, and the others who are in similar situations no doubt but who are just not getting the same media love.
This. The whole situation is an absolute joke and it should have never came to this. As for the go fund me, should 100% not be allowed and ridiculous it’s even considered. Richmond is paying their players enough that one of their teammates doesn’t have to be in this situation.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
yeah not a dig at Marlion but the go fund me page is absolutely bullshit (but as someone mentioned.. would he even take it?)

His salary should not have been cut in half considering it was only $85k to begin with - The AFLPA have absolutely dogged him at absolutely minimum those on under $100k should not have had their wages cut to the same % as the big earners

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Just on this though wasn’t the wages for the season only dropped by 25% because half the season was already paid? Still $60k odd thousand a year which would be tough but manageable. Do the players still get match payments? Hopefully he can get a few games and still make $80-90k for the year.
The situations not bad enough to throw the salary cap out the window

Firstly I would expect the AFL will rule that the money raised through the go fund me campaign will be not allowed to be given to Pickett so no issues there.

Secondly, Richmond have approached the AFL to ensure that whatever opportunity is offered doesn't breach any rules regarding the salary cap.

Finally, Adelaide had a secret agreement with Tippett, outside his official contract, to trade him to the club of his choice for a second round draft pick at the end of 2012 and Adelaide also paid Tippett $200k through a 3rd party that wasn't declared to the AFL. That is cheating

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Finally, Adelaide had a secret agreement with Tippett, outside his official contract, to trade him to the club of his choice for a second round draft pick at the end of 2012 and Adelaide also paid Tippett $200k through a 3rd party that wasn't declared to the AFL. That is cheating

well yeah, hence the loss of four draft picks

You mention this as if it's somehow not well known

deflection works best if it's relevant - Crows copped their whack so it no longer is

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
This. The whole situation is an absolute joke and it should have never came to this. As for the go fund me, should 100% not be allowed and ridiculous it’s even considered. Richmond is paying their players enough that one of their teammates doesn’t have to be in this situation.
There's nothing sneaky here. It's completely different to the Tippet situation.

It will now sit with the AFL to rule on.

For some perspective, I'd be a lot more comfortable with this being approved as a once off for the players that need it rather than the green light on AFL ambassador payments to well paid players.

Back