Recommitted Marlion Pickett [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested in whether people think he'll remain with the Tigers for the rest of his career or if he will seek a move back to WA e.g. his mate Tim Kelly?

Depends on how well his season goes but right now he doesn't have the currency of Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly first had his trade request turned down after 23 games as a 24 year old. He was granted a trade as a 25 year old. Pickett has currently played two games, not requested a trade (his whole family are in Victoria now), and is 2.5 years older than Kelly.

Unless he gets the currency of Kelly over the next 12 months I can't see him going (although he is out of contract).

Depends on how well his season goes but right now he doesn't have the currency of Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly first had his trade request turned down after 23 games as a 24 year old. He was granted a trade as a 25 year old. Pickett has currently played two games, not requested a trade (his whole family are in Victoria now), and is 2.5 years older than Kelly.

Unless he gets the currency of Kelly over the next 12 months I can't see him going (although he is out of contract).
Yeah fair enough. I wasn't comparing his situation to Kelly or suggesting he'd demand the same sort of money or trade return, more just the fact they are mates and Marlion might have a similar pull back home like Kelly did. I'm sure if Pickett wanted a trade back to WA the Eagles and Dockers would be interested. Pickett may love life in Vic though and feel like he owes the Tigers for the opportunity.

Yeah fair enough. I wasn't comparing his situation to Kelly or suggesting he'd demand the same sort of money or trade return, more just the fact they are mates and Marlion might have a similar pull back home like Kelly did. I'm sure if Pickett wanted a trade back to WA the Eagles and Dockers would be interested. Pickett may love life in Vic though and feel like he owes the Tigers for the opportunity.
I don't see him demanding anything really, seems like someone who would be pretty grateful.
Also, he turns 29 before next season starts, so what does he have maybe 2-3 good years left? Not sure if it would be worth starting over again at another club just for a year or 2. He'll have a 5 year career max, so not hard to finish it at one club.

That being said if list sizes are sliced, I'm not sure where he would stand at his age and only having played 2 games.

I don't see him demanding anything really, seems like someone who would be pretty grateful.
Also, he turns 29 before next season starts, so what does he have maybe 2-3 good years left? Not sure if it would be worth starting over again at another club just for a year or 2. He'll have a 5 year career max, so not hard to finish it at one club.

That being said if list sizes are sliced, I'm not sure where he would stand at his age and only having played 2 games.
I think with his talent he would definately hold his spot. If list sizes are cut all teams will be targeting the old fashioned Utilities for sure players who can play forward or Back but can run through the midfield.

Is he still on rookie wage?
He's still on the rookie list but mid season draft selections were able to sign an extension with the base rookie payments of $85k not counted in the salary cap. Anything above that is counted in the TPP. First year National Draftees get $105k minimum. So I'd guess he probably on a bit more than that plus match payments.

He's on record saying he'll never play anywhere else. I don't see him leaving unless he get's delisted at some stage and someone else picks him up. No one else was prepared to take the risk on him and I think he'll remain committed to the club forever.

That's all the more reason to move, get that cash before it's gone. Plenty of other clubs would offer more.

Wouldn’t his age and situation make him more likely to auction himself off to the highest bidder. He’s in a position where he’s only got one chance (corona may well have already taken it away) to set himself up for life after football.

Pretty sure he has said something about staying at the club for life. But if someone knocked on his door offering significantly more than we could, I think he'd be crazy not to consider it and I wouldn't begrudge him moving.

Agree in his situation loyalty wouldn’t make much sense. That being said sometimes immersing yourself within one club can open up plenty of doors for you post football.

That's all the more reason to move, get that cash before it's gone. Plenty of other clubs would offer more.
Wouldn’t his age and situation make him more likely to auction himself off to the highest bidder. He’s in a position where he’s only got one chance (corona may well have already taken it away) to set himself up for life after football.
Yes, they are factors for sure. Not everyone thinks like that though, for some being happy where they are and in their environment is more important (assuming he is reasonably well paid regardless).

For an extra 75k a year, he might not want to uproot his family again and move states, maybe they are happy here, have found schools, a new house, etc. etc. Maybe he'll feel a strong connection to the club and people that took him in, where he won a GF on a debut etched in history and folklore, where he can maybe win more.

I don't claim to know his thought process and I don't really care as I don't have an enormous attachment to him compared to other premiership players, but I'm just saying a little extra coin might not be the most important factor for his family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, they are factors for sure. Not everyone thinks like that though, for some being happy where they are and in their environment is more important (assuming he is reasonably well paid regardless).

For an extra 75k a year, he might not want to uproot his family again and move states, maybe they are happy here, have found schools, a new house, etc. etc. Maybe he'll feel a strong connection to the club and people that took him in, where he won a GF on a debut etched in history and folklore, where he can maybe win more.

I don't claim to know his thought process and I don't really care as I don't have an enormous attachment to him compared to other premiership players, but I'm just saying a little extra coin might not be the most important factor for his family.
It could be much more then that. Say $80k compared to $250k. He is the exact type who should chase money imo. He will be lucky to even get half of a house out of football

Think it’d be more number of years that lures him away. 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 3 could have a huge impact on how much money he makes from footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back