MRP / Trib. Marlion Pickett, Umpires and the MRO. What is going on here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm very surprised people thinks Lynch should be suspended for the Impey incident... From Robbo's outrage on 360, to people on the boards thinking Lynch is being treated differently to others... The Greene on Dangerfield suspension was brought up by both Robbo and Cornes... I'm astounded that people automatically go to the Greene incident on Dangerfield, when there was a similar, maybe worse action based on outcome, the week prior. Have we forgottten that Hogan concussed Bews with the same action the week before?

This head hunt on Lynch is quite frankly disgusting...

The only thing wrong with the Lynch incident is the umpire missing the high free kick to Impey.
Look mate... I don't give two shits about what those tossers Cornes and Robbo have to say about anything. I no longer watch any of their shows, I don't read anything they write and I think I'm smarter as a result of that.

I don't care either about your Richmond bias and your "leave him alone" defence of Lynch. I love your passion and I agree Lynch attracts his share of haters. He's an easy target: the big-money free agent who went to the best team. For non-Tigers fans, there was something very oily, cowardly and unlikeable about that move. Wasn't like he went to Richmond to help them break their flag drought. He was a top 5 forward going to the best team. Like Wayne Rooney going to Man United, or Cristiano Ronaldo going to Real Madrid. Good reason to hate a bloke. Plus he has a punchable man-baby head on his wide shoulders and a way of throwing his weight around, crashing late into opponents a foot shorter than him which draws the ire of people. I actually like that about him. But I can understand why people hate him, and if you barracked for any team besides Richmond, you'd probably hate him too.

None of that interests me however. The unwanted media and fan attention on Lynch is your bugbear. Not mine. Maybe now you understand 1/10th of how Hawthorn fans felt when everyone ripped into our players during our dynasty. Our "thug snipers" Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis... "Delicious" chicken wings Cyril... Pinchy Stratton... James Sicily for chrissakes... Has a young kid in the AFL ever been the recipient of such unfair treatment from oppo fans and media? Toby Greene basically decked opponents and got away with HEAPS... But his defenders whined about the "vendetta" against him. What did Sicily ever do besides looking angry and being feisty? FMD...

Let's not forget how opposition fans and the media hounded Buddy Franklin out of Melbourne. That's the reason he f**ked off to Sydney... Because campaigners here in Melbourne wouldn't leave him alone. I doubt we'll ever see another AFL superstar given the same amount of s**t that Buddy copped as Hawthorn player (on and off the field.) Harassed by people whenever he went out at night. Harassed by the media constantly writing about his night club antics like he was Johnny Depp. CONSTANT rumour-mongering about "Three Strikes" with campaigners like Robbo playing right into that with snide references when he missed weeks with a hamstring injury... Harassed by people climbing his back fence at home, FFS. People booing him because he tackled someone... Or booing him because he took another mark and kicked another goal... Constant media whinging about the natural arc he ran in prior to kicking... Or his body language... Or his celebrations to the crowd... Or his "me me me" attitude... Or his supposed "inconsistency"... All of it BULLSHIT...

Buddy was relentlessly targeted by the media every time he did anything remotely physical... Endless slow-mo replays of every slam tackle & bump.. Jealous clowns in the media trying to get him suspended (and often succeeding)... A free kick for in the back literally EVERY time he chased down an opponent and tackled them. (Look up the stats if you don't believe me.) It f**kin made me sick. People forget how victimised he was in his younger days at Hawthorn now that he's become a protected species in Sydney. It was actually a relief once he left and became everybody's favourite instead of Public Enemy No.1.

Buddy had a "don't argue" fend just as good as Dusty Martin. Even better actually because his arm was longer. It made him untackle-able for a while there. But every campaigner in the media and in the grandstand moaned about that and Jeff Gieschen the umpire's boss told his umpire's to penalise Franklin for high contact whenever he did it. Literally took away one of his weapons. Had to modify his game and was worse as a result. Can you imagine if they had done that to Dusty? It was bullshit because it wasn't high contact - it wasn't over the shoulder or in the neck - he was pushing down from his 198cm height down into their sternum region and oppo tacklers were feigning high contact, trying to milk a cheap free. It was a travesty they umpired this out of Buddy's game. Robbed us all of seeing some great goals and assists from Franklin as he shrugged off tackles like they were flies.

So excuse me if I don't lose any sleep over the "unfair" treatment of your star player, who got away with elbowing a little Hawthorn wingman in the head.

But I digress... :D

1) I can't remember the Greene elbow on Dangerfield. My google search says he got 1 week. Yep. Okay... Good. That's what I'm talking about.

2) I didn't see the Hogan elbow which left Bews concussed. I haven't been following the AFL too closely this year. But I hate this type of defence that biased footy fans always use. Just because the MRO made a mistake last week (either missed something, or was too harsh to suspend a player) that doesn't make this week's mistake correct. Two wrongs don't make a right. You've heard that saying, haven't you?

Maybe now we have another fricken issue here with the brain dead umpires and an idiot MRO who forget important fundamental rules of the game. I personally think they get bogged down with too much new information, too many new rule interpretations and they forget some of the eternal rules we always took for granted. Like they needed constant reminding.

I saw Lynch raise his forearm/elbow into the tackler Impey's face and split him open under the eyebrow. As I said, in my lifetime of watching footy, raising the elbow into the oncoming tackler's face has been an automatic suspension. No ifs or buts. And that's the way it should be. Can you imagine if every player did exactly what Lynch did as they were about to be tackled. Seriously, close your eyes and imagine a typical game of 100 tackles and 100 elbows being thrown. The game would take 4 hours to complete with constant blood rule interruptions.

Here's an idea: how about you set aside the "Leave Lynchy alone" defence for once this season and just admit that he got away with one against Impey?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Thanks as ever to k31th for the gif.

What is it with Marlion Pickett and the MRO? Pickett sneezes the MRO busts his ass. Opponents have free hits at his head seemingly with full MRO approval.

Three incidents shown on this thread where Pickett has been penalised by the MRO, all debatable at the very least. Yet Pickett twice now hit in the head by opponents, once by a swinging arm tackle and once with a bump to the head, both times MRO says no action. Doesn’t even mention it as being considered. Why is Marlion’s bump on Moore with initial impact absorbed by the body a week, and this bump by Jones catching nothing but Marlion’s head is no free, no fine no suspension?

Why was Marlion’s swinging arm tackle to the upper body/neck area on Starcevich a week and the swinging arm tackle that immediately preceded it by Bailey on Pickett impacting nothing but Marlion’s head is no penalty?

Why is Butler’s push on Marlion no penalty and Marlion’s push of roughly equal force on Butler a free kick and a fine, just because Butler put mayo on it and Marlion didn’t?

I know Marlion will never complain, but what is going on here? Let’s remind ourselves a few weeks back Marlion got a week for this:

Last edited:

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Was the Jones bump on Pickett assessed? Can't find any mention of it on AFL website.
Should have at least been looked at - could easily have been given a week off for that.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
No mention of the JJ bump except the multitude of replays and commentary directly after.
Thought there may have been something but I guess it was either missed or deemed in play and unavoidable.
Could also be agenda against Pickett.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
No mention of the JJ bump except the multitude of replays and commentary directly after.
Thought there may have been something but I guess it was either missed or deemed in play and unavoidable.
Could also be agenda against Pickett.
Multitude please. They showed a brief replay of the incident and that was it.

Barely any Tigers supporters are calling for a suspension for Jones as the incident was pretty much unavoidable. That's not the issue here. What we find bizarre is the complete lack of coverage of a shoulder to the head of Pickett that noticeably stunned him, particularly after what happened last week to Prestia. As I put in the Pickett thread, even if the MRO has just said that they'd reviewed the incident and determined that the contact was unavoidable and thus didn't constitute a reportable offence, then that'd be perfectly fine. But there's been nothing.

Compare this to the multiple incidents where Pickett has been reported or fined and it's pretty glaring. If the shoe was on the other foot, you can guarantee that there'd be mention of it.

Thanks as ever to k31th for the gif.

What is it with Marlion Pickett and the MRO? Pickett sneezes the MRO busts his ass. Opponents have free hits at his head seemingly with full MRO approval.

Three incidents shown on this thread where Pickett has been penalised by the MRO, all debatable at the very least. Yet Pickett twice now hit in the head by opponents, once by a swinging arm tackle and once with a bump to the head, both times MRO says no action. Doesn’t even mention it as being considered. Why is Marlion’s bump on Moore with initial impact absorbed by the body a week, and this bump by Jones catching nothing but Marlion’s head is no free, no fine no suspension?

Why was Marlion’s swinging arm tackle to the upper body/neck area on Starcevich a week and the swinging arm tackle that immediately preceded it by Bailey on Pickett impacting nothing but Marlion’s head is no penalty?

Why is Butler’s push on Marlion no penalty and Marlion’s push of roughly equal force on Butler a free kick and a fine, just because Butler put mayo on it and Marlion didn’t?

I know Marlion will never complain, but what is going on here? Let’s remind ourselves a few weeks back Marlion got a week for this:

Marlion got off light and should have gotten 4 weeks. Clearly runs past the ball with the sole intention of taking the Hawthorn player out of the game and causing as much damage as possible. Pretty obvious that Richmond is coached to do this going by the sheer number of examples. I'm not sure what is up with the MRO and handing Richmond players extremely light suspensions but I do agree that it should be investigated.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Marlion got off light and should have gotten 4 weeks. Clearly runs past the ball with the sole intention of taking the Hawthorn player out of the game and causing as much damage as possible. Pretty obvious that Richmond is coached to do this going by the sheer number of examples. I'm not sure what is up with the MRO and handing Richmond players extremely light suspensions but I do agree that it should be investigated.

😂😂😂 I see your team sitting on top of the ladder and our travails has done nothing to improve your pitiable sense of humour Wojcinski. Allow me if you will to offer you some assistance. Mock indignation is much better deployed when your hypocrisy is more obvious for all to see, ala Claude Raines:

In this instance with your clumsy attempt at humour, you have not made a clear enough connection between your own club’s guilty conduct and your concocted allegations against Pickett for it to be funny.

I like what you are trying to do though. The world can use more levity and light heartedness. 😍

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
What kind of dog would run past the ball and ko a player?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
TYS, I think you didn’t mean what kind of dog, that is really unfair. You must have meant what kind of cat. 😁
Angry Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You tell me

Feigned ignorance only usually works as humour when based on the truth Woj. The truth is Moore was not knocked out, not concussed and suffered no ill effects to speak of, unlike some other cases we could readily bring to mind…..so this one doesn’t work. Keep trying though, it is novel to see a Cats supporter trying to develop some repartee skills. 😁

Feigned ignorance only usually works as humour when based on the truth Woj. The truth is Moore was not knocked out, not concussed and suffered no ill effects to speak of, unlike some other cases we could readily bring to mind…..so this one doesn’t work. Keep trying though, it is novel to see a Cats supporter trying to develop some repartee skills. 😁
Just because Moore wasn't knocked out doesn't mean the intention wasn't there

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
When judging intention I find actual results the best guide. That said, I’m sure Geelong intended to win those three recent finals against the Tigers, but didn’t, so maybe I’m wrong.

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
When judging intention I find actual results the best guide. That said, I’m sure Geelong intended to win those three recent finals against the Tigers, but didn’t, so maybe I’m wrong.

"When judging intention I find the actual results the best guide". That's convenient.

You're seriously suggesting a player (player A) can decide to do exactly the same thing to two different players (B and C), but because one of the "different players" is more badly injured than the other, player A somehow had a different "intention"?? Cool thought process.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
More deflection? Nice one.

What does Marlion's hip hit exactly? Doesn't look like any hip contact at all. Looks like shoulder to the head to me.

Weren’t you talking about his intention? A player intending to hit nothing but head with a bump does not lead with his hip. Next you will be telling us Pickett made no contact to Moore’s body.

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Weren’t you talking about his intention? A player intending to hit nothing but head with a bump does not lead with his hip. Next you will be telling us Pickett made no contact to Moore’s body.

Are you honestly saying you can determine each player's intention from footage?

The reason I brought up "intention" is that BF Tiger seemed to be contradicting a long-standing and wide-spread view that the MRP incorrectly favours outcome over intention when handing out sentences. Maybe that view has changed over time and I've not noticed. Wouldn't be the first time.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond

The reason I brought up "intention" is that BF Tiger seemed to be contradicting a long-standing and wide-spread view that the MRP incorrectly favours outcome over intention when handing out sentences. Maybe that view has changed over time and I've not noticed. Wouldn't be the first time.
hows about from an admission from the player:

"I ran past the ball and I chose to bump"

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Of course you can make certain reasonqble conclusions about a player’s intention from footage. In Pickett’s bump highlighted in posts above, why would you form any other conclusion than he was intending to effect a legal bumo to Moore’s body? If he was intending to contact Moore’s head surely he would not have led with his hip?

I am now getting worried both you and Wojcinski are being serious here. Surely not?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Cool - that speaks to Stewart's intention.
How are you divining the intention of Marlion?
Through his words…

Pickett told the Tribunal it was a safe bump that was delivered with a level of force of "three out of 10".
"I dropped my level to make it safe because there was a height difference between me (and Moore)," Pickett said.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
So just to re-cap, when I asked how you know THE INTENTION of a player, your answer is that you take the word of the player being sanctioned.

In other news, Richard Nixon proclaimed his own innocence. "I'm not a crook".
View attachment 1450287

Don't get me wrong. I think the MRP definitely missed one when Jones of WC took out Marlion Pickett, but it's fanciful to say you know players intention by what they tell the tribunal.
Just to be clear then… you’re also disregarding all the “I didn’t mean to hurt him, I felt ill” Tom Stewart statements?

Back