Recommitted Marlion Pickett [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

This reads like you are calling me a liar for reporting what Pickett said, or Pickett a liar for saying it.

No it doesnt.

It reads like what any sane, responsible person would do.

Im sure Picket loves the Tigers, fairy tale stuff what happened last season, fantastic story.

But money talks and the man has a family to look after. He may not say that to you or anyone else but we all understand the stage of his career earnings wise.

Honestly wouldnt blame him if he went for a bigger pay packet as he has 4 kids and probably 3-4 years at the most to make it for his family

And depending on which club he went to the trade would be done but if it was upto me where he should go if thats what he decides i would say freo as thats probably where he would get the best $$$ and get regular games amongst their kids

Is anyone even going to offer him decent money? Should take the longest deal he can get.
If by decent you mean in the realm of $400k or so, then definitely. That's a pretty solid pay day for someone whose current contract is probably closer to the $80k mark (or even less thanks to COVID). If he can secure himself a 3 or 4 year contract on anything near that kind of money he'd be mad not to take it

If by decent you mean in the realm of $400k or so, then definitely. That's a pretty solid pay day for someone whose current contract is probably closer to the $80k mark (or even less thanks to COVID). If he can secure himself a 3 or 4 year contract on anything near that kind of money he'd be mad not to take it

Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong Richmond games but that seems like well overs for Pickett. No way anyone offers him a 3-4 year deal

Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong Richmond games but that seems like well overs for Pickett. No way anyone offers him a 3-4 year deal
I think he'd get it, bit obviously none of us will know until end of this year

As others have posted, for a bloke with a young family like Marlion2 years on a 100k more than the tigers can offer is huge. I wouldn’t blame him.
i also wouldn’t be offering him 2 years if I was Richmond.
I would give him 2 years @$200k + Bonus of sorts
he would have earned atleast that this year with games played

Freo are pretty keen on him, i think if he was offered 350k or thereabouts he’d go, tbh he’s a good player but he certainly isn’t worth much more than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know Pickett's long-term plans (post-Football)?

Would he be looking to stay & work in Melbourne? By staying at the Richmond FC he'd have the benefit of those business connections such as the Korin Gamadji Institute. He could be put on an over-sized salary there for the next decade & live a pretty comfortable life.

Whatever decision Pickett makes won't just be about playing footy, it will be about him setting himself & his family up for life.

Does anyone know Pickett's long-term plans (post-Football)?

Would he be looking to stay & work in Melbourne? By staying at the Richmond FC he'd have the benefit of those business connections such as the Korin Gamadji Institute. He could be put on an over-sized salary there for the next decade & live a pretty comfortable life.

Whatever decision Pickett makes won't just be about playing footy, it will be about him setting himself & his family up for life.
Dont have any information but i would think he would go back home to WA where his friends and family are and will find something to do with football

Only 29 in Jan, easily 2-3 years of good footy in him. If he has the wiry indigenous longevity that some of those blokes seem to have then he could comfortably have 4-5+ years in him.

If a club offers him a 3 year deal for $1 million he should take it.

Richmond probably will offer him 2 years for $400-600k max.

Marlion Pickett is an average player who had a great first game. Not even on Freos Radar and if you VIC posters actually watched a freo game, you'd realise he's not what we need. Not at all.

The ruck fwd Coleman Jones on the other hand could be good depth for Sean Darcy as there's not much under him. But we're pretty sweet in our Backline, Young Midfield brigade who all hopefully sign on, Kpfs we're doing ok if Hogan isn't traded.

So maybe a quality med/small fwd and Ruckman Depth is on our shopping list.

Marlion Pickett is an average player who had a great first game. Not even on Freos Radar and if you VIC posters actually watched a freo game, you'd realise he's not what we need. Not at all.

The ruck fwd Coleman Jones on the other hand could be good depth for Sean Darcy as there's not much under him. But we're pretty sweet in our Backline, Young Midfield brigade who all hopefully sign on, Kpfs we're doing ok if Hogan isn't traded.

So maybe a quality med/small fwd and Ruckman Depth is on our shopping list.

Off topic, but who are your promising key forwards?

Taberner has been playing well this year but isn't young. McCarthy quit. Hogan possibly trading out.

Off topic, but who are your promising key forwards?

Taberner has been playing well this year but isn't young. McCarthy quit. Hogan possibly trading out.

I think the comment was that we're ok for KPF if Hogan isn't traded. Agree we don't have young KPF to come. Cox is the only one I'd say, he showed some upside early forward, but obviously been down back with some success recently. The other aspect to our KPF mix is Fyfe, who we're obviously trying to transition into more of a mid forward role.

Back on Pickett, and I'd agree that he wouldn't seem to be a target for Freo currently, given our young list and academy types coming through that might need list spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back