Marngrook Footy Show Axed

Remove this Banner Ad

SC_GC

All Australian
May 19, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only football show on at a decent time up here (except for BTG, which doesn't count). Dissapointing.

theRainbowGame

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
Seattle
AFL Club
Geelong
Back to C31 hopefully.
I would love to see the minutes of the meeting to decide the axing though.
Plenty of anti-football decisions from the ABC in the last 5 years. Most notably the axing of State League broadcasts.
The ABC should start showing the womens leagues.

Back to C31 hopefully.
Plenty of anti-football decisions from the ABC in the last 5 years. Most notably the axing of State League broadcasts.

It was the most expensive show to produce on ABC2 and rated like ten people were watching it.

Correct decision. IMO

St 07

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't understand those who praised it as a great show. Part of me suspects they did so due to it being outside the mainstream, and on the grounds of not being TFS.

At the end of the day it was a rubbish show. Utter rubbish.

Don't come here sprouting that crap, they actually talked quality football in that show. A nice change from TFS complete lack of said football discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Don't come here sprouting that crap, they actually talked quality football in that show. A nice change from TFS complete lack of said football discussion.
I must have missed the episodes where they "talked quality football". Half the panelists didn't have an effing clue what they were on about.

Anyhow I wpn't hang s**t on it now that it's axed. Suffice to say I won't miss it.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
'Tens of people disappointed'
Hansen raised a good point about the demographics of those with rating boxes.

Shows like Before the Game and TFS don't really discuss footy but are more light entertainment and thus draw a more widespread audience.

Marngrook would be more limited in audience but I also think would largely have an audience that are less likely to be involved in the ratings process.

I didn't watch it often but it was OK and more interesting then TFS.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
It was the most expensive show to produce on ABC2 and rated like ten people were watching it.

Correct decision. IMO

Because no one knew it was on
TV isn't a business which works on the "build it and they will come" motto

I saw one TVC for the show the entire season
ABC has 4 unique channels

Hope fox footy picks it up in place of, or even following AFL teams, would be a ratings winner

BLPC08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
A house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Harlem Globetrotters
It was a really amateurish show. I liked the interviews with past players, Gilbert was funny in a Doug Hawkins esque manner. The other panel members were fairly boring, although the panel members on the Footy Show these days are hopeless as well.

Hawkinspired

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I stopped watching it years ago because I couldn't stand the bias from Gilbert and Hansen when their respective sides were performing well. Now that they are both cellar dwellers it may have been worth the watch this year?

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Back to C31 hopefully.

The bias against Australian Football is getting stronger.

Kim Hagdorn

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit rough around the edges but I thought it was alright, better than a lot of other football show crap on TV, usually got some decent guests on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back