Marngrook Footy Show Axed

O

Old Spice

Hopefully we get more Sam Newman titology. Very exciting news here.

Come expect fresh television.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
watched it once or twice a year usually by accident.. spent most of the show laughing at it. Those two girls who had a small segment or w/e were just terrible... they had some refreshing views on it, but i could NOT watch it regularly.

If it was advertised better and had a bit of money spent on it, there was potential there.

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Disgrace. The AFL should be subsiding this and pushing it more to the country markets.

How big an audience does a show on ABC2 need to have anyway?

i think if the average audience is above 100 then its a keeper, anything less and an emergency meeting is called.

They account for those things when distributing the boxes. They're meant to reflect the demographic of the country, otherwise they'd be useless.
And newspaper circulation figures are 100% legit...

Not sure why people are celebrating the removal of a show they didn't watch. Or why they're celebrating a reduction in footy on TV, particularly an independent footy show.

I think the ABC's reasons are rubbish. MG seemed to be gathering a bit of steam with more people talking about it. This type of show is what the ABC and SBS are all about.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
watched it once or twice a year usually by accident.. spent most of the show laughing at it. Those two girls who had a small segment or w/e were just terrible... they had some refreshing views on it, but i could NOT watch it regularly.

If it was advertised better and had a bit of money spent on it, there was potential there.

IF your talking about Layla she actually really knows her footy you only have to listen to the Marngrook radio show on SEN to know that. She isn't bad on the eye either

Only watched the show a handful of times but enjoyed it - actually offered some decent commentary about footy and without the cheap gags you get with TFS.

Was on at a bad time though. Needed a better time slot IMO.

Only watched it a few times. It kinda irked me the way they would have "Indigenous" tags next to players on the team sheets.. isn't that just perpetuating racism? The same way some commentators like to insist that Aboriginal players have some kind of special football power or something.

Anyway, agree with the positive comments about Leila Gurruwiwi. She clearly knows and loves her football and she's better at stringing sentences together than half the muppets we have to put up with on TV these days. I'd like to see Fox pick her up in some capacity.

janiek

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2003
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
liverpool
I actually quite liked it; all the footy shows have some bias, some amateur moments, and some presenters that really give you the s**ts.
As others have said the time was wrong and not really heavily promoted,
But what I find interesting is that one of the reasons given is that it was cut due to high production costs, surely costs can,t have been much more than other panel shows like the dire 'randling'
And abc always say ratings aren't an issue for them , so the reasons given for axing just seem a bit strange

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Only watched it a few times. It kinda irked me the way they would have "Indigenous" tags next to players on the team sheets.. isn't that just perpetuating racism? The same way some commentators like to insist that Aboriginal players have some kind of special football power or something.

Anyway, agree with the positive comments about Leila Gurruwiwi. She clearly knows and loves her football and she's better at stringing sentences together than half the muppets we have to put up with on TV these days. I'd like to see Fox pick her up in some capacity.

Yeah, it seemed to me like they were aiming for for more an indigenous audience instead of a wide ranging audience, which i suspect is one of the reasons their ratings weren't that good. They focused on the race of the players so often, always pointing out who was indigenous and how they were going (from my experience).

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
Yeah, it seemed to me like they were aiming for for more an indigenous audience instead of a wide ranging audience, which i suspect is one of the reasons their ratings weren't that good. They focused on the race of the players so often, always pointing out who was indigenous and how they were going (from my experience).

Hammer meets nail.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
And newspaper circulation figures are 100% legit...

Newspaper circulation figures are generally published by the companies doing the circulating, so they have a reason to lie. OzTam ratings are theoretically independent from the broadcasters/media buyers.

Like we saw with bonds ratings agencies, third party assessors are always completely reliable.

Seriously though, most objections that people have to OzTam's methodology have been recognised and accounted for. Otherwise it'd be a worthless product.

Nick Lions

All Australian
Sep 15, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's a bit s**t to be honest. I enjoyed it, as we don't get much AFL/Australian Rules Football media coverage, up here in Brisbane, so it was nice to just have another show. Channel 9 doesn't usually show TFS till 11/12 at night, if at all, so Marngrook's timeslot was more appropriate. They were also more insightful on football issues, the footy show who are only interested in how much hair Garry Lyon has and what Nick Dal Santo has to say. Legitimately, no more amateur than the Footy Show, which gets plenty of viewers, despite being hosted by a pack of idiots and featuring hardly any football.

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
It's a real shame this show was canned. I liked it, was a real just talking footy show which was good. Mind you I still love BTG and TFS but Marngrook was good. Hopefully back to C31.

Back