Marngrook Footy Show Axed

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it seemed to me like they were aiming for for more an indigenous audience instead of a wide ranging audience, which i suspect is one of the reasons their ratings weren't that good. They focused on the race of the players so often, always pointing out who was indigenous and how they were going (from my experience).

I'm not indigenous but i suspect that they are merely taking an oppurtunity to show some pride in their race and culture. I don't know if you saw the story on the 7.30 Report about twiggy forrest's land holder pay off and set up meeting (1 of many) but i know if i were them in this society, i would be doing the exact same thing. I would suggest to you to stay off the 'commercial' stations and become a little more informed and empowered to make your OWN observations about the world. Its easy to look at an indigenous man calling another indigenous man 'brother' and make the *@#!ing groundbreaking assumption the show is aimed at indigenous people, maybe it gives them a sense of belonging, deal with it. The show IS essentially about football which is why I think IMHO that a football purist would prefer to watch this than the garbage on channel 9. If they got Billy B and Crawf on, no one would watch the Footy Show.

I'm not indigenous but i suspect that they are merely taking an oppurtunity to show some pride in their race and culture. I don't know if you saw the story on the 7.30 Report about twiggy forrest's land holder pay off and set up meeting (1 of many) but i know if i were them in this society, i would be doing the exact same thing. I would suggest to you to stay off the 'commercial' stations and become a little more informed and empowered to make your OWN observations about the world. Its easy to look at an indigenous man calling another indigenous man 'brother' and make the *@#!ing groundbreaking assumption the show is aimed at indigenous people, maybe it gives them a sense of belonging, deal with it. The show IS essentially about football which is why I think IMHO that a football purist would prefer to watch this than the garbage on channel 9. If they got Billy B and Crawf on, no one would watch the Footy Show.

Are you serious? You are one of those people who hear something about a minority then blindly start accussing everyone of racism. Yawn... you are part of the problem.

Are you serious? You are one of those people who hear something about a minority then blindly start accussing everyone of racism. Yawn... you are part of the problem.

My second post was in reference to neroblacks post. But you can re-read them at your leisure if you like ;)

My second post was in reference to neroblacks post. But you can re-read them at your leisure if you like ;)

Cool.. i was replying to the post where you quoted me then started dribbling about racism, because the topic was indigenous Australians therefor i was being racist, amirightsocialwarrior?

Cool.. i was replying to the post where you quoted me then started dribbling about racism, because the topic was indigenous Australians therefor i was being racist, amirightsocialwarrior?

Hardly dribbling, definitely did not call you a racist. At least your sensitive, can we call this progress?

People? Propaganda swallowing philistines?? Daicos doesn't seem to mind it. Sorry, I'll leave you alone.

Leave me alone?? o_O Was more a comment about how tv shows work, even on the ABC, and not just those on commercial stations that feel the need to actually make money instead of lose it. Not sure why people are feeling the need to compare this show and the footy show, they're kind of different...I for one don't take my footy too seriously, and don't mind watching a show that stuffs around a bit too.

Really stupid decision. Great show just a bad time slot. I always ended up catching up with it on NITV or iView. :(
It was bloody amateurish.

And what is the purpose of an indigenous football show? Seems like tokenism. I always thought it was bizarre that they would show the team lists with the indigenous players' names in bold. What was that about? Oh, that's useful, now I know which games to watch if I only want to watch indigenous players. It was a contrived way to emphasise the show's 'indigenous focus', a fatuous gimmick that only reinforced the show's redundancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'
It was bloody amateurish.

And what is the purpose of an indigenous football show? Seems like tokenism. I always thought it was bizarre that they would show the team lists with the indigenous players' names in bold. What was that about? Oh, that's useful, now I know which games to watch if I only want to watch indigenous players. It was a contrived way to emphasise the show's 'indigenous focus', a fatuous gimmick that only reinforced the show's redundancy.

That's a pretty grim outlook on life. Oh well, good on ya.

I gave it a go, as a viewer, but it was a POS show. Nothing of significant value, just a bunch of afl apologists. My favourite moment of this axing, was listening to Grant Hansen sook about it on SEN. He was saying the show should've been on ABC1! Clown.
Sort of agree with this. Hansen is a reasonable host but McAdam isn't the answer as his sidekick. The continuity isn't great and because the panel regulars find it difficult to string a lucid sentence together the worth of the show is dependent on the quality of the guests.

Here is the ABCs reply to my Email Make of it what you will.

"Thank you for your email. The ABC appreciates you taking the time to write in regard to our decision not to renew The Marngrook Footy Show for 2013.

Marngrook has a long history, commencing on community radio in the 1990s and then moving to community television and NITV, the national Indigenous television channel. The program moved to ABC2 in 2011 and this year we broadcast 28 episodes on Thursday evenings.

I can assure you that the decision to stop production of the program after two seasons was not taken lightly. The ABC takes a number of factors into consideration when producing or acquiring programs – whether the program is distinctive, the level of audience engagement and interest in the program, and the costs involved in producing or acquiring the program.

Regrettably, despite the show’s distinctiveness, there was limited audience interest in The Marngrook Footy Show and in spite of moving the timeslot of the show from 7:30pm to 8:30pm in 2012, the program was unable to find a sustainable audience. Considering the high production costs for the program, ABC2’s finite resources, and the fact that across pay and free-to-air television there are 18 footy shows in total, the ABC had to make the decision that our audience is better served by us investing elsewhere in other programs.

Nonetheless, the ABC acknowledges that the program had a core of devoted followers who watched the program each week and we regret your disappointment with this decision. I will ensure that your comments are noted and made available to ABC Television management for their information.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin McAlinden
ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs

There's also Footy Tragic (a DT show) on C31 & The Supercoach Show on Fox Footy.

And The Local Footy Show on CH 31 that does a good job of promoting local and country leagues around the state.

It was amateurish. By definition - it was a C31 (Vic community TV channel) show, then given some fancy gimmicks, more make-up and shoved onto ABC2.
I'm not sure that was the market for it. It doesn't have a broad reach, really only indigenous & footy fans who are over the flashy network options, probably not national appeal (let alone ABC1).

But I hope it does get a time slot, somewhere.
Low rent doesn't mean it's got no value. Nor does having a small audience. It just means it probably doesn't justify a big, professional studio.

Looking ahead... SBS are launching a new Indigenous Channel;

http://www.sbs.com.au/aboutus/news-...-to-launch-new-free-to-air-Indigenous-Channel

SBS will launch a new national free-to-air Indigenous Television service in late 2012.

It follows the Federal Government’s Budget decision to transfer annual funding from National Indigenous TV Limited to SBS to develop a new, national digital free-to-air channel dedicated to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander content...

...Having a dedicated channel for Indigenous television on a public broadcasting platform will be an exciting further step for Australia as it will be the first time that all Australians from remote communities to the metropolitan areas will have access to Indigenous programs free-to-air. It brings Australia to the forefront in worldwide steps to promote Indigenous broadcasting...

I wonder if the Marngrook Footy Show will find its target demographic on that channel?

To be honest I really liked the show, they actually talked about football with the guests. BUT, I do agree the bolding of the indigenous players on the team lists was a bit much. It's almost backwards racism.

To be honest I really liked the show, they actually talked about football with the guests. BUT, I do agree the bolding of the indigenous players on the team lists was a bit much. It's almost backwards racism.

No such thing as 'backwards' racism. White fella belittles an indigenous fella because he's indigenous. Racism. Indigenous fella belittles a white fella because he's white. Racism. Calling incidents of racism 'backwards' or 'reverse' implies that this kind of racism is different somehow. It's not.

Racism is racism.

No such thing as 'backwards' racism. White fella belittles an indigenous fella because he's indigenous. Racism. Indigenous fella belittles a white fella because he's white. Racism. Calling incidents of racism 'backwards' or 'reverse' implies that this kind of racism is different somehow. It's not.

Racism is racism.

It's called slang mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back