Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Disappointing news, to say the least.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...s/news-story/6b9a1d974cc79cf082f302d544550da3

The Marngrook Footy Show has been axed, leaving the show’s host reeling.

Mangrook founder and producer Grant Hansen confirmed the show’s cancellation today, saying it was a “really crazy decision”.

“I can’t understand their reasoning, it was the most popular show on the network and brought people to NITV,” he said.

“People are just stunned. They were lining up to be on it, musicians used to call us to get on the show, players and their managers would want to come on.

“It’s a really crazy decision. Hopefully someone will come to their senses at SBS.”

Hansen said he had already fielded some interest from mainstream networks.

“It’s a decision that’s been made without any foresight. We would hope mainstream TV would be interested in it.

“It would go gangbusters if they are prepared to take a punt on a footy show for everyone.”

Hansen took to Facebook to thank the show’s loyal fans.

“It’s true that NITV – SBS has decided after 10 successful years and there (sic) most popular show not to continue with the Marngrook Footy Show,” Hansen wrote.

“We are hopeful of continuing on another network. We thank all our fans and supporters for your support to the program over 12 years.”

The popular AFL show started on Channel 31 in 2007, before moving to ABC2, and SBS.

It was nominated for Logies, for best sports program in 2015 and 2016.

A post on the show’s Facebook page confirmed the cancellation news.

A post on the show’s Facebook page confirmed the cancellation news.

Why??? Love Marngrook. Gotta be their most successful product doesn't it? Hope they can continue elsewhere, but I dread it on any of the commercial channels as it would be destroyed just like "Talkin' Bout My Generation" for e.g.

Why??? Love Marngrook. Gotta be their most successful product doesn't it? Hope they can continue elsewhere, but I dread it on any of the commercial channels as it would be destroyed just like "Talkin' Bout My Generation" for e.g.
This. Nothing more certain. :(

No one watches? They'd have a target audience & its hitting its target.

Odd decision. It couldn't have cost that much & it's hardly like NITV has to make room in the schedule for its latest blockbuster.

I don't watch much TV but it was nice to have a non-pay footy show about footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usual reason a show goes, just because I watch it versus what is the NITV target market.

:rolleyes: well you know what assuming does.

I'm sure the hosts know their market.

Go back to the Weagles board & send Duggan back to Melbourne while you're at it.

Odd decision. It couldn't have cost that much & it's hardly like NITV has to make room in the schedule for its latest blockbuster.

I don't watch much TV but it was nice to have a non-pay footy show about footy
I've read a suggestion elsewhere that Craig Foster didn't want an AFL footy show to be too successful.

I always found it to be cringeworthy, amateurish and consistently unwatchable whenever I happened upon it. Ive Never quite understood the level of devotion that it gets in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back