Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

Definite technical and mental issues have crept into his game over the past 12 months.

We have to back him through this slump because we know how good he can be and there are no obvious replacements, but it's a worry because an out-of-form Marnus destabilises the lineup.

You need your #3 to either consolidate or maintain the tempo, and you can't do that when you're constantly getting dismissed cheaply.
Might be one of the biggest things that plagues commentary on tests in the modern era - you have to give people time during slumps. Dropping Marnus for someone else is going to take even longer. Every cricketer has slumps, and it's the inpatience of the modern era that brings people into question. He can absolutely come back from this slump, he's got the skills to be an incredible batter.

Like it or not, he'll get the tests in New Zealand, and then there are no more test matches until India is here in November. And unless things go horribly wrong, he'll start that series, too.

There's a short white-ball tour of Pakistan just before that, it'll be interesting to see how many test players they take over instead of having them play Shield cricket.

Like it or not, he'll get the tests in New Zealand, and then there are no more test matches until India is here in November. And unless things go horribly wrong, he'll start that series, too.

His form is a worry but he averages over 50 in tests, aussie fans really need to prepare for whats coming next 3-5 years we might have a period where people get 30+ tests and average high 30's at best low 40's the batting isnt there dropping few guys we have who average over 40 in tests wont fix what cant be fixed in short term.

His form is a worry but he averages over 50 in tests, aussie fans really need to prepare for whats coming next 3-5 years we might have a period where people get 30+ tests and average high 30's at best low 40's the batting isnt there dropping few guys we have who average over 40 in tests wont fix what cant be fixed in short term.
Exactly right.

I feel blessed to have started watching cricket when Australia was absolutely terrible in the mid-80s, because success is never taken for granted.

This cycle happens every few years. We haven't had a batter debut in test cricket since Will Pucovski in 2021, but you go back a few years before then and we had Bailey, Doolan, Burns, Voges, Ferguson, Handscomb, Maddinson, Renshaw, Cartwright, Bancroft, Finch and Patterson in the space of a few years, and none of those guys played more than 23 tests.

There's really nobody with an outstanding first-class record waiting in the wings, so they'll roll through a few before someone sticks, and we, as fans, need to be OK with that.

He’s in a form slump, no doubt. However, I think it’s more than just his individual form. We’ve looked scratchy at the top for a bit now, which means he often comes in with very little scoreboard pressure on the opposition and not much strike rotation - of which he is a part. I feel like he needs to move to 4/5 and regain some form, with someone like Head or even Marsh moving up in the short to long term depending on a number of factors. Good bowling seems to be able to pin our top order down too easily currently, and until Green fulfils his potential I think we need to think creatively about our options.

It does seem like we need to move head/marsh away from each other having two counter attackers one after other just doesnt seem to work that well, head seems happy at 5 though and i cant see them moving marnus to 6 with marsh at 3.

marnus has now dropped his average under 50 (49.6) since reaching lofty heights of averaging 60.

maintaining an average of 60 is ridiculous and only 2 players (30+ tests) have done this (bradman/sutcliffe).

i still think marnus finish somewhere between 45-50.

there's some talk of dropping him for the next test - not sure that achieves anything as renshaw is the only reserve bat on tour.

best thing is to play the next test and hopefully cash in, and hopefully play a few shield games prior to the india series.

I feel like many people (including myself) got sucked in by his 2019/20 form. Since then he's looked very sloppy, even in the innings where he's made a decent score.

I feel like many people (including myself) got sucked in by his 2019/20 form. Since then he's looked very sloppy, even in the innings where he's made a decent score.

normally their first class average is a good indicator their real worth (there's a few that buck the trend like michael bevan)

in saying that not too many test players , play many 1st class games once they've debuted.

marnus' test average is now mirroring his 1st class ave.

marnus has now dropped his average under 50 (49.6) since reaching lofty heights of averaging 60.

maintaining an average of 60 is ridiculous and only 2 players (30+ tests) have done this (bradman/sutcliffe).

i still think marnus finish somewhere between 45-50.

there's some talk of dropping him for the next test - not sure that achieves anything as renshaw is the only reserve bat on tour.

best thing is to play the next test and hopefully cash in, and hopefully play a few shield games prior to the india series.

I think he'll be doing well to average above 40 when he finishes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back