Marnus Labuschagne

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
A lot of on here were highly critical of the selectors initially giving this guy a baggy green, but he really is starting to look the goods. Has a quality batting technique and a solid temperament, stuff that the selectors would have known when they actually spend time looking at players instead of just SS stats pages. Needs to go on with it though and convert some of his innings into big scores though.

Also more than handy part time leg spin bowling as a bonus as we seen last night when he got the breakthrough.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Averaging 58 after his first tour of England as a 24 year old.

Averaging 27 with the ball in test cricket and averages 40 with the ball in FC cricket after a decent body of work.

Could be one of the names of world cricket overt the next decade if he can average mid 40's with the bat as a #3 and mid 30's as a leg spinner.

Not to many in recent history that stand alone as a top order bat and average sub 35 as a test spinner.

Shades of a young Michael Bevan, though Bevan was never able to transfer the hype as a young spinning allrounder into a test career. Increadible ODI and FC career though.

As easy as it can be to bash the selectors, hats off to them for backing Marnus in. Proven his doubters wrong regardless of how the rest of his career goes, his 2 and 1/2 tests here has been something else. Potential to be a seriously good player for many years to come, long term number 3 option.

Yeah I was really critical of this selection but he's done an excellent job thus far. Maybe it might be a hot patch but from watching him bat I think it should be sustainable. A big find for that #3 slot.

From those who are big time Shield watchers, who strikes you as someone who can do a Labuschagne - not the greatest FC record, but young-ish, good head on his shoulders, strong technique, ability to improve, etc? Bonus points if they're an opener. Because for the vacant 2-3 slots in the lineup IMO they should be targeting that.

From those who are big time Shield watchers, who strikes you as someone who can do a Labuschagne - not the greatest FC record, but young-ish, good head on his shoulders, strong technique, ability to improve, etc? Bonus points if they're an opener. Because for the vacant 2-3 slots in the lineup IMO they should be targeting that.
My mate and I were discussing this last night. If we count Smith and Labuschagne as the two last 'finds' of Aus cricket, they've both kind of shot out of the shadows. Not sure if that is a sign the Shield is working, or the opposite?

I think Ashton Turner would be a good 'left field' option at 6. His Shield record is okay at best but I think there's a lot about him.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Add me to the list of people who got it wrong.

As a close follower of the Shield, I didn't think he was anywhere near a test standard batsman.

Selectors get a bad wrap most of the time. When they go off intuition rather than weight of runs we jump to criticise. Quite often that criticism end up being warranted.

But in this case, the signs are that they were absolutely right. Even if he was to not live up to the new expectations they would be vindicated by the role he's played in this Ashes series.

A middle order of Labuschagne, Smith and Head all of a sudden looks pretty good.

I love the kids fighting spirit and his resolve.
He just seems to be delighted and enthusiastic to be out on the field and seems to be a great team player , gives the impression that he wants to be involved and wanting the ball to come to him.

Can bat.
Can bowl.
Handy in the field .

Lot to like about the young kid.

He places value on his wicket which is always a good sign.

Would like this kid on my side if I got into a scrap he is a hard nosed little bugger and is up for the fight.

Noticed he was imitating some of Smiths movements lol ..... but good on him as he seems like a fast learner and why wouldn’t you want to be like the best going around .

Undoubtedly been the young find of the tour.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I think he has two choices and both are very enticing.

#1 focus exclusively on batting and hopefully become the leader of the batsmen after Smith starts to slow down (~5 years from now)
#2 keep working on his batting but spend an equal amount of time honing his leggies. Batting average a bit lower but a viable all-rounder option in the same time frame.

I suspect he’ll go the way of Cameron White and Steve Smith and eventually forget about his leggies, but that ball to specs yesterday was pure venom. Warne would have been happy with it.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I was a little surprised when he first came in on the back of not very much, but I'm now totally sold on this guy. His technique and temperament are both excellent. He is a more than handy bowler as well. Looks like a 10 year player to me.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Much has been said about Steve Smith (and rightly so, the guy is an out and out superstar), but on reflection looking back over the ups and downs of this ashes you have to say that the emergence of Marnus Labuschagne was an absolutely pivotal moment in the course of this series.

It can't be overstated how hostile and aggressive that spell of bowling was from Archer at Lord's. 90+ miles an hour, he'd just felled our best batsman and for all money looked like he might roll through us and set England up for a dominating win. For Labuschagne to come in and not just face up to that, but to actually stone wall all of that English momentum, build an innings and prevent them from getting a victory was absolutely massive in the context of the series.

To then back that up with an absolutely clutch wicket at an incredibly critical moment in this match, when none of our bowlers looked to have the answers and the whole crowd was riding England to the draw, was huge. Credit to Paine for throwing him the ball, and credit to Marnus for all the work he's done on his bowling (he specifically mentioned working with Warne in his post-match interview) that meant that he was there for his country when we needed someone to stand up and deliver.

And on top of all that he is a genuinely lovely, polite and humble young man. Just an absolute pearler of a find for the future of Australian test cricket. Congratulations to him and all involved in his development. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Much has been said about Steve Smith (and rightly so, the guy is an out and out superstar), but on reflection looking back over the ups and downs of this ashes you have to say that the emergence of Marnus Labuschagne was an absolutely pivotal moment in the course of this series.

It can't be overstated how hostile and aggressive that spell of bowling was from Archer at Lord's. 95+ miles an hour, he'd just felled our best batsman and for all money looked like he might roll through us and set England up for a dominating win. For Labuschagne to come in and not just face up to that, but to actually stone wall all of that English momentum, build an innings and prevent them from getting a victory was absolutely massive in the context of the series.

To then back that up with an absolutely clutch wicket at an incredibly critical moment in this match, when none of our bowlers looked to have the answers and the whole crowd was riding England to the draw, was huge. Credit to Paine for throwing him the ball, and credit to Marnus for all the work he's done on his bowling (he specifically mentioned working with Warne in his post-match interview) that meant that he was there for his country when we needed someone to stand up and deliver.

And on top of all that he is a genuinely lovely, polite and humble young man. Just an absolute pearler of a find for the future of Australian test cricket. Congratulations to him and all involved in his development. :thumbsu:

The new "wall" Dravid.

1568008095772.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I liked him when he played this summer, I recognised he was a player who looked after his wicket and was capable of leaving multiple balls in a row.

I wanted him in since the 1st Test but I never imagined he'd be so vital in retaining the Ashes.

Back