Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

He probably just prefers Laboo-shane to save time, doesn't want to have to explain it on a regular basis.

As someone with a long non-anglo surname myself I can certainly relate

He probably just prefers Laboo-shane to save time, doesn't want to have to explain it on a regular basis.
I think it's probably more that the fricatives 'sch' and 'g' are inflected with a sound that doesn't appear in English. Even after hearing it said, it's virtually impossible to pronounce correctly unless you're a practiced Afrikaans speaker.

If that's the same interview I am thinking of, he also says that he prefers non-Afrikaans speakers to pronounce it "La-boo-shane".

Purely to complement monolingual Aussies. I imagine he's quite self-conscious about it.

The name is common in international Rugby and is pronounced correctly by broadcasters from a range of backgrounds, including American.

It's nothing to get in a spat over, but I think when even other nations seems to work harder at respecting the correct lingual enunciations Aussies should work harder too.

The name is common in international Rugby and is pronounced correctly by broadcasters from a range of backgrounds, including American.
Not sure I'd entirely agree with that.

Realistically most people from all backgrounds butcher foreign sounds unless they're practiced in the language or have had some sort of coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He definitely doesn't waste his opportunities. Hope that he continues to score runs this summer and cements his place in the team.

I'm fascinated by all the various pronunciations of his name! If he wants to be called La-boo-shane for whatever reason then I respect that. I don't reckon he's the type that would get all offended if you respectfully or unwittingly pronounced it differently though. Hopefully he's around for many years to come so we can all get the hang of it :D

Why? He only got a game because Smith got injured, they chose not to play him.
His record wasn't sterling when initially selected.

Think it's pretty miserly to not tip your hat to Langer and co on this one.

Anyone see a possible future captain in Marnus?

Captained Qld u19 previously. Obviously not sure of his cricket IQ but I like the way he carries himself and seems to be well liked by the players.

Anyone see a possible future captain in Marnus?

Captained Qld u19 previously. Obviously not sure of his cricket IQ but I like the way he carries himself and seems to be well liked by the players.

Not against grooming him as the next one after Paine

I agree. He seems very cool and calm under pressure.

Yep, plus there isn't an outstanding leader jumping out post Paine. Everyone assumes Smith will want it, I'm not so sure actually. He may be happy just being a bat.

So happy to see my man do well. I do think he will captain Australia one day if not after Paine after Smith

I'm not certain Smith will captain again actually.

What will be interesting is if he'll get in the ODI side

I'm not certain Smith will captain again actually.

What will be interesting is if he'll get in the ODI side
They do tend to give players who take to test cricket a go in the ODI side, and to add to that he has been excellent for Qld in the one day cup the last 3 seasons he has played (2016, 17 and this year. Not sure how he'll go at 4 with Smith at 3 though, perhaps a little too similar? Has to be a better option than batting Usman out of position at 3 and Smith out of position at 4 like we were in the WC, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back