Marnus Labuschagne

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Can't believe Roy is still commentating after what he said.
Both Roy and Warne should have been sacked absolute disgrace that it was allowed to just blow over, very much showed the type of people they are.

God forbid anyone be a little bit different

If i was Marnus i would straight up refuse to do any media work with anything involving Warne

Also really sick of the absolute piss being taken out of Marnus constantly. Yeah he is a little bit unique and he doesn't try to hide it (nor should he) but the constant need to take the piss out of him (even in jest) is pretty insulting. We saw it with Smith a few years ago as well.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
the thing about the Symonds/Warne thing is that it was pretty clearly similar to the "Hogg pile" that for some reason they loved to talk about 5 years ago as if it was anything other than a weird act of bullying, given they knew it made Hogg uncomfortable. just very strange areas.

Hogg seems like a good comparison to Marnus, his book from a few years ago has some stories recounted here and you can sorta see some parallels with how Marnus goes about things. (I'm not saying team-mates were wrong to make it known some of things were annoying). At this stage, Marnus is clearly viewed as a different cat, in contrast to say a Mitch Marsh or Tim Paine who seem to have been instantly beloved figures in the dressing room.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Both Roy and Warne should have been sacked absolute disgrace that it was allowed to just blow over, very much showed the type of people they are.

God forbid anyone be a little bit different

If i was Marnus i would straight up refuse to do any media work with anything involving Warne

Also really sick of the absolute piss being taken out of Marnus constantly. Yeah he is a little bit unique and he doesn't try to hide it (nor should he) but the constant need to take the piss out of him (even in jest) is pretty insulting. We saw it with Smith a few years ago as well.

Yeah, like the speculation that he has ASD.

Absolutely absurd - I've met a few autistics and most of them suffer from some form of motor skill dysfunction. Smith definitely doesn't. Spacey/eccentric/quirky /= autistic.

Off topic, but the discussion about autistics in this country has IMO devolved into a full-blown hysteria over the course of Smith's career. I once came across a website written by an early-30's something Australian woman bemoaning her lack of suitable dates. She said words to the effect of "I meet too many men on the autistic spectrum."

That really ground my gears for a few reasons:
1) It revealed her to be a bigot/ableist (autism is a disability, lest we forget)
2) It demonstrated just how ridiculous the hysteria around autism has become - an older psychiatrist (mid-50's) told me that it reminded her of the AIDS hysteria back in the 1980's, which is crazy because while low-functioning autistics in particular battle through life, it is NOT a lethal illness
3) It's likely that she's met some socially awkward people, and maybe one or two autistics, and gone socially awkward = autistic, which is unfair to autistics
4) Her snipe at autistics largely went unnoticed by the commentariat, when IMO it is not so different from attacking Aborigines, who are also disadvantaged ("I've met too many men on the Aboriginal spectrum today" would have gone down a treat, no doubt. :rolleyes:). Which IMO suggests that she's largely subconsciously responding to cultural hysteria and suspicion towards autistics, rather than implying bad experiences with autistics. Autistics make up around 1% of the population, around 60% are unemployed and many are intellectually impaired; I doubt she's knowingly met more than a few.

Why do I feel so passionately about this issue? Simple. A mentor of mine had a low-functioning autistic son, and he told me quite a bit about autism. He's intellectually impaired, cannot talk, cannot restrain himself in the car, and has no hope of being able to drive and live independently. Yet, this perfectly regular woman feels the need to attack people 'on the autistic spectrum' like him, when this kid has no hope of fighting back. Absolutely bigoted, cowardly and pathetic. :mad: :thumbsdown: :poo:

Marn & SS are practically B1 & B2 as well so it makes sense.

Heaven forbid a mild mannered, polite guy who values his wicket and scores runs gets a bit of love from the commentary box (Punter the exception)

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
the thing about the Symonds/Warne thing is that it was pretty clearly similar to the "Hogg pile" that for some reason they loved to talk about 5 years ago as if it was anything other than a weird act of bullying, given they knew it made Hogg uncomfortable. just very strange areas.

Hogg seems like a good comparison to Marnus, his book from a few years ago has some stories recounted here and you can sorta see some parallels with how Marnus goes about things. (I'm not saying team-mates were wrong to make it known some of things were annoying). At this stage, Marnus is clearly viewed as a different cat, in contrast to say a Mitch Marsh or Tim Paine who seem to have been instantly beloved figures in the dressing room.

Not surprisingly, Hayden comes across as a complete w***er (imagine creating a 'circle of trust' - way to build team unity, Matty! :rolleyes:).

Michael Clarke is portrayed in a surprisingly positive light, though.

Speaking of Clarke, I do somewhat understand the criticism he's received on these boards - 1) he's the captain, so he's more visible than Hayden, who was never captain (thank the stars), 2) his captaincy was controversial and 3) he is very image/marketing/spin oriented and he tends to equivocate and choose his words very carefully, so he can come off as (perhaps unknowingly) insincere and manipulative at times. Plus there is definitely a vain, solipsistic streak there.

Nonetheless, the antipathy towards Clarke, both on these boards and among his teammates generally, seems OTT when pretty much everything I've heard about Hayden indicates that he's an outright bully (Belnakor mentioned that he used to bully support staff, which is IMO a pathetic abuse of power). Clarke has never really been portrayed in that light.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Not surprisingly, Hayden comes across as a complete w***er (imagine creating a 'circle of trust' - way to build team unity, Matty! :rolleyes:).

Michael Clarke is portrayed in a surprisingly positive light, though.

Speaking of Clarke, I do somewhat understand the criticism he's received on these boards - 1) he's the captain, so he's more visible than Hayden, who was never captain (thank the stars), 2) his captaincy was controversial and 3) he is very image/marketing/spin oriented and he tends to equivocate and choose his words very carefully, so he can come off as (perhaps unknowingly) insincere and manipulative at times. Plus there is definitely a vain, solipsistic streak there.

Nonetheless, the antipathy towards Clarke, both on these boards and among his teammates generally, seems OTT when pretty much everything I've heard about Hayden indicates that he's an outright bully (Belnakor mentioned that he used to bully support staff, which is IMO a pathetic abuse of power). Clarke has never really been portrayed in that light.
I am admittedly a bit of a Clarke fan boy but I think he is the most over criticised player in Australian cricket over the past 20 or so years.

One of the best bats we have had over the past 15 years, one of the best fielders, a handy bowler when fit and tactically the best captain we have had in my time watching cricket (20 years).

The way he handled the Hughes tragedy was phenomenal, the way he transitioned in to the captaincy was seamless, despite taking over arguably the most successful cricketing captain of all time.

He lead a team that was moving on from the likes of Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hussey, McGrath to a team filled with the likes of Doherty, Wade, Cowan, Beer, Copeland

Not to mention he was criticised for his image which to be honest is ridiculous, yeah he was a bit image conscious but he was just ahead of the time, a few years later and all players are. He was criticised for celebrating his birthday with his family instead of going out drinking with his friends and team mates. He wasn’t perfect but he was a great player and a great leader and should be remembered as such.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
All the w***ers from that era hate Marnus I've noticed, or at least don't have the professionalism to not voice it. Ponting and Hussey, the most boring personalities of the lot seem to embrace him.

I think it shows why punter was a great captain and leader he embraced all personalities no matter how different you were to say other players he made the effort to get his know his teammates and see what made them tick.

A prime example is look at watto and symonds record under him compared to clarke.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I think it shows why punter was a great captain and leader he embraced all personalities no matter how different you were to say other players he made the effort to get his know his teammates and see what made them tick.

A prime example is look at watto and symonds record under him compared to clarke.

Cuts both ways, though. Clarke got the best out of Johnson, Siddle and to a certain degree Hilfenhaus and Harris. In particular, he recognised that Johnson was a shock bowler who was, like a left-armed Harmison, best used in short, sharp spells. Meanwhile, Ricky Ponting seemed to think that he was a combination of Wasim Akram and Graham Mackenzie (i.e. a workhorse).

Ricky Ponting was a better man-manager than Clarke, but IMO he's been a bit overpraised in that respect.

For example, it was obvious that Johnson was a confidence bowler, but Ponting could never quite grasp that fact, instead wondering how such a talented cricketer could lack his own relatively even sense of self-belief.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cuts both ways, though. Clarke got the best out of Johnson, Siddle and to a certain degree Hilfenhaus and Harris. In particular, he recognised that Johnson was a shock bowler who was, like a left-armed Harmison, best used in short, sharp spells. Meanwhile, Ricky Ponting seemed to think that he was a combination of Wasim Akram and Graham Mackenzie (i.e. a workhorse).

Ricky Ponting was a better man-manager than Clarke, but IMO he's been a bit overpraised in that respect.

For example, it was obvious that Johnson was a confidence bowler, but Ponting could never quite grasp that fact, instead wondering how such a talented cricketer could lack his own relatively even sense of self-belief.

Clarke had nothing to do with Johnson's form.

Johnson and Clarke no longer talk and he wasn't a fan of clarke either.

Johnson and watto are great mates as well. I remember Johnson was one of the 4 for homework gate banned as well which Clarke led.

I think it was more the fact Johnson had found peace in his life and hit a purple patch across one golden summer.

He wasn't the same bowler after phil hughes died as well which was understandable after what he did the english 12 months before that.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Clarke had nothing to do with Johnson's form.

Johnson and Clarke no longer talk and he wasn't a fan of clarke either. Johnson and watto are great mates as well. Remember Johnson was one of thr 4 for homework gate.

I think it was more the fact Johnson had found peace in his life and hit a purple patch across one golden summer

He wasn't the same bowler after phil hughes died as well which was understandable after what he did the english 12 months before that.

Sorry, I'm not buying that.

Regardless of where Johnson was at in his mindset, Clarke still had to use him correctly.

He used him the way he should have been used in the first place; in short, sharp spells as a shock bowler.

Agree that he declined after Hughes' death (lost some pace + had to bowl on absolute roads), but by that time Smith was the captain more so than Clarke was.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

"All personalities" have never been welcome in the Australian cricket team. No matter what the era, there have always been some ego have played less than they should, or who were dropped easier than others, or who were put up with through gritted teeth. Someone who isn't particularly blokey and aggressive usually doesn't last long.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
There’s Christians and Christians

Marnus is kind of the wild-eyed ‘all praise our Lord and Saviour’ type, which isn’t exactly something that builds someone’s credibility in modern Australia

Gary ablett turned out a handy footy player.

I don't think we should discriminate on religion.

Better than dick picks with a preggo wife

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
"All personalities" have never been welcome in the Australian cricket team. No matter what the era, there have always been some ego have played less than they should, or who were dropped easier than others, or who were put up with through gritted teeth. Someone who isn't particularly blokey and aggressive usually doesn't last long.

Yeah fair point stuart macgill was a weird personality.

I will say though i dont recall many players who got discarded in the Ponting captaincy era have complained about Ponting as a leader specifically. I just feel Ponting went of his way when he was captain to make sure everyone was welcome and did his best to get the best out of everyone.

And i reckon Ponting would have loved captaining a guy like Marnus especially.

First batter not from the big 4 to be the number 1 Test batsman since AB de Villiers in 2015.

to2jyrudy1781.jpg

Three of the top 6 is handy for Aus.

I'd rather this thread not attract those with certain views on David Warner...

Anyway Smith's peak of 947 may not be surpassed in the near future - Smith's peak was probably second only to Bradman, dude was unstoppable then.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
There’s Christians and Christians

Marnus is kind of the wild-eyed ‘all praise our Lord and Saviour’ type, which isn’t exactly something that builds someone’s credibility in modern Australia
lol. The only place I’ve even seen Marnus’ religion brought up is on BF. The whole Marnus not being taken seriously/having the piss taken out of him has sweet **** all to do with his religious views.

On another note, just scrolling through social media (particularly ig and tiktok) and talking to some of the juniors at our club, Marnus seems by far the most popular player among the younger generation of fans. And rightly so, he’s just assumed the mantle of no.1 ranked test batsman in the world and will be a household name in this country for a long time to come.

The has-beens can take the piss as much as they like, this bloke is the future.

Last edited:

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Would being religious really be a mark against you in aussie cricket? from what i can see lot of aussie cricketers are politically conservative and Christians(like our current coach) so why would anybody give a sh*t about marnus?
Exactly. It’s his exuberance and winding up of senior players and ex players with his quirks that creates the perception of him not being taken seriously. Nothing to do with religion at all.

Funnily enough the things that are probably getting under the skin of ex players and seniors in the side just make him all the more popular with youngsters. Every Marnus innings is a viral meme waiting to happen and the kids love it.

Last edited:
Back