Marnus Labuschagne

Remove this Banner Ad

First batter not from the big 4 to be the number 1 Test batsman since AB de Villiers in 2015.

to2jyrudy1781.jpg
A thoroughly deserved accolade, and the guy is only 27, so if anything he'll only get better over the next few years.

There’s Christians and Christians

Marnus is kind of the wild-eyed ‘all praise our Lord and Saviour’ type, which isn’t exactly something that builds someone’s credibility in modern Australia

Based on what, the fact that he’s not ashamed of his belief? I’ve read dozens of interviews with him. I’ve heard it mentioned maybe twice. And yeah the pretty obvious affection his teammates have for him indicates that it really must be at a catastrophic level in the change room as well.

Why does this bother people so much?

Based on what, the fact that he’s not ashamed of his belief? I’ve read dozens of interviews with him. I’ve heard it mentioned maybe twice. And yeah the pretty obvious affection his teammates have for him indicates that it really must be at a catastrophic level in the change room as well.

Why does this bother people so much?
Atheists and anti-religion types are easily triggered.

based on the fact he is a very active member of a happy-clappy Baptist mega church in Brisbane

Oh I can definitely see why that would upset you it must present a huge imposition on your personal well-being. I’m sure all the non-believers who regularly accidentally find their way in there are very affronted that a place used by people specifically to share and practice their beliefs is being used by it’s congregation for that exact purpose.

What he should do is be a philanderer, drug cheat, drug user, abuser, match fixer, drink driver, alcoholic, violence-prone bogan like 50 per cent of the rest of Australian sportsmen that we hold up as heroes.

No this is way worse.

Oh I can definitely see why that would upset you it must present a huge imposition on your personal well-being. I’m sure all the non-believers who regularly accidentally find their way in there are very affronted that a place used by people specifically to share and practice their beliefs is being used by it’s congregation for that exact purpose.

What he should do is be a philanderer, drug cheat, drug user, abuser, match fixer, drink driver, alcoholic, violence-prone bogan like 50 per cent of the rest of Australian sportsmen that we hold up as heroes.

No this is way worse.
There are many things that make people question the good judgement of a potential leader, and being a fervent follower of sky fairies happens to be one of them

Sorry if this offends

There are many things that make people question the good judgement of a potential leader, and being a fervent follower of sky fairies happens to be one of them

Sorry if this offends

People who follow that sky fairy probably think the same about people who put their trust in an explosion.

See it’s not hard to make anyone sound silly if you look at it from a particular angle.

That you would judge someone particular in terms of their cricketing leadership credentials for that belief says more about you than it does about him.

Atheists and anti-religion types are easily triggered.
:thumbsu:

I honestly had no idea that he was religious until the last page or 2.

Why does it wind people up so much? As soon as someone is "outed" as religious people turn on them.

Years ago when Gaz jr was on the Suns I told a group of mates that he was heavily religious, which a couple didn't know, one of them said "Gee that changes how you think of him" and another said "yeah it really does", the third said "What? why does that change anything at all?"

I'm with the 3rd. Why does it change anyones opinion of him? He's still the same batsman, same quirky weirdo in the field, same chirpy happy-go-lucky man-child off it. Who cares if he happens to practice a religion as well?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I've ever seen a batsman have as a much luck as he has had so far.

But the really good batsman always make the most of it.

yeah , it's called cashing in i guess.

i'm sure bradman was dropped once or twice as well.

still relatively early days for marnus, and his first class average, suggests his test average will dip, but he is hot at the moment.

on target to end up alongside players with 6000+ runs and ave of 50+ (bradman, g.chappell, ponting, m.hussey, s.waugh, border, hayden, smith) and end up in our top 10 best bats.

yeah , it's called cashing in i guess.

i'm sure bradman was dropped once or twice as well.

still relatively early days for marnus, and his first class average, suggests his test average will dip, but he is hot at the moment.

on target to end up alongside players with 6000+ runs and ave of 50+ (bradman, g.chappell, ponting, m.hussey, s.waugh, border, hayden, smith) and end up in our top 10 best bats.

That is a great pub trivia question: no way would I have credited Hussey with that many runs. The average yes, the aggregate, no. That he played 79 tests I find amazing.

I think it shows why punter was a great captain and leader he embraced all personalities no matter how different you were to say other players he made the effort to get his know his teammates and see what made them tick.

A prime example is look at watto and symonds record under him compared to clarke.
symonds was long gone by the point Clarke was skipper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back