Marnus Labuschagne

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
sure, but when someone is religious ipso facto they are a bit soft in the head

Do you have that view of all religious people and all religions? For example Usman Kawajah and Bachar Houli? Are they also a bit soft in the head?

What about indigenous Australians and the dreaming stories as well as the various ceremonies and the like, which could be argued are more cultural than religious, but even so are not exactly grounded in science? Are those that practice and partake of these ceremonies and pass on dreaming stories a bit soft in the head too?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do you have that view of all religious people and all religions? For example Usman Kawajah and Bachar Houli? Are they also a bit soft in the head?

What about indigenous Australians and the dreaming stories as well as the various ceremonies and the like, which could be argued are more cultural than religious, but even so are not exactly grounded in science? Are those that practice and partake of these ceremonies and pass on dreaming stories a bit soft in the head too?
People who are culturally religious are fine

People who believe in sky fairies are a bit daft

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
That is a great pub trivia question: no way would I have credited Hussey with that many runs. The average yes, the aggregate, no. That he played 79 tests I find amazing.

well they are also the only ones with 50+ with 3000 runs and marnus will get there with ease.

time will tell whether he keeps it up with longevity.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Interesting stats, dropped 14 times vs being caught 12 times in 20 test matches.

Before everyone goes defensive, no one is suggesting he's not a good player, just that he is benefiting from more luck than other batsman get. At some point it'll turn, as long as he plays long enough.

It would also be interesting to see the stats for the other big name batters. Stands to reason the more time at the crease means you'll get dropped more often I suppose.

Yeah folks like Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Corrie Ten Boom, the cream of the humanitarian crop - that’s what jumps out at me. How soft in the head they were.

I would edit out M. Theresa. Her claims as a humanitarian have been debunked.

She was however an adept spinner.

Interesting stats, dropped 14 times vs being caught 12 times in 20 test matches.

Before everyone goes defensive, no one is suggesting he's not a good player, just that he is benefiting from more luck than other batsman get. At some point it'll turn, as long as he plays long enough.

It would also be interesting to see the stats for the other big name batters. Stands to reason the more time at the crease means you'll get dropped more often I suppose.

Ditto S Waugh who was remarkably lucky in surviving run outs.

Around the Wicket

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Big 12 months for him, that average of 63 could be sub 50 by this time next year.

3 Tests in Pakistan, 2 in Sri Lanka then 4 in India.

If his still averaging 60+ come this time next year his done something special.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
it won't be sub 50 this time next year.

he'd have to average 30ish over that period.

How is that not a possibility though with, scheduled at least, three Asian tours?

It a huge if, obviously, and he’s far from the first guy to benefit from a run of good fortune but even at home it would be interesting to see how much his average would have dropped if just half the chances that have been grassed off him were taken.

I personally think his work ethic will ensure that even if he does struggle a bit on the dust bowls he will find a way to compete but equally it wouldn’t be surprising and he wouldn’t be the first guy to get found out by Ashwin and Jadeja in India or whatever incarnation of the Sri Lankan spin armada turns up

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
How is that not a possibility though with, scheduled at least, three Asian tours?

It a huge if, obviously, and he’s far from the first guy to benefit from a run of good fortune but even at home it would be interesting to see how much his average would have dropped if just half the chances that have been grassed off him were taken.

I personally think his work ethic will ensure that even if he does struggle a bit on the dust bowls he will find a way to compete but equally it wouldn’t be surprising and he wouldn’t be the first guy to get found out by Ashwin and Jadeja in India or whatever incarnation of the Sri Lankan spin armada turns up

yeah i'm not saying he is a 60+ player, and who's to say chances won't be taken by the indians of ashwin and jadeja ?
and if the afghanistan tour goes ahead who's to say he won't get a 200*.

but yeah at one point he'll have a slump and i personally think he'll end up on the cusp of an ave of 50 by the time he finishes.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Based on what, the fact that he’s not ashamed of his belief? I’ve read dozens of interviews with him. I’ve heard it mentioned maybe twice. And yeah the pretty obvious affection his teammates have for him indicates that it really must be at a catastrophic level in the change room as well.

Why does this bother people so much?
They are simply bigots.

Around the Wicket

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it won't be sub 50 this time next year.

he'd have to average 30ish over that period.

Last time Australia played Pakistan away 2 batsmen averaged above 30 (Finch and Khawaja, Khawaja boosted by 1 innings), Labuschagne played that series averaged 24.

Last time Australia played India away 1 batsmen (Smith 71.28) and there wicketkeeper (32.48) averaged above 29

Last time Australia played Sri Lanka away 1 batsmen (Smith 41.16) averaged above 27.

So it's actually could happen, unlikely though because I think his a good player.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Last time Australia played Pakistan away 2 batsmen averaged above 30 (Finch and Khawaja, Khawaja boosted by 1 innings), Labuschagne played that series averaged 24.

Last time Australia played India away 1 batsmen (Smith 71.28) and there wicketkeeper (32.48) averaged above 29

Last time Australia played Sri Lanka away 1 batsmen (Smith 41.16) averaged above 27.

So it's actually could happen, unlikely though because I think his a good player.

interesting stats above.

that doesn't surprise me as we've only had 20 batsmen with a reasonable sample size, that have averaged 40+ overseas throughout their career.

that includes all 8 aussies who averaged 50+ in their career.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The thing about Mark Wood is that he can angle the ball in and move it away at express pace while extracting considerable bounce off a length - not unlike a young Courtney Walsh.

Batsmen who defend with a straight bat would be more likely to miss those sorts of deliveries, or alternately pick them off if they strayed onto the pads, but would be more troubled by a more orthodox seamer should their footwork not be good enough (e.g. Steve Waugh vs Curtly Ambrose/Angus Fraser).

Marnus on the other hand, has pretty good footwork, but he defends with a slightly angled bat, so Wood's extra bounce and ability to move the ball away allows him to catch Marnus' splice more often.

3m5c7am8eCZA_vQrTjIP78ekBLw=.gif

Back